Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
your city was the slavery capital of america until 1800 , and it does have a borderline southern climate
Where Philly? It ain't my city! But living here I can see why it might have been a slavery capital Them slaves sho' have taken ova!
As for Delaware,I think I was around central or southern state when I heard the accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Frederick, Maryland, about 25 miles north of Washington, D.C. About as far north as Baltimore where I've heard a few southern accents in the exurbs. However I don't know if that's a legitimate "southern accent" or simply a "country twang".

Unfortunately you hear those annoying, shrill, swarmy Long Island and NY accents as far south as Key West.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Wha-eelll... let's see... I've been told I have a southern accent,
soooo... since I've been as far NE as Maine, yes, I heard myself there...
and... since I've been as far NW as Washington... yes, I heard myself there, too...
and... since I've been as far SW as Southern California... yep, heard myself there also...
and... I be darn, if, when I was as far SE as Florida... I heard myself there, too!

Dang, you just can't keep us southerners/Texans holed up no more with all them thar new-fangled gadgets thar'r a-putin about!
I don't quite understand what some of these types of posts are about...to the best of my knowledge, no one was criticizing the South or calling it backwards. I was simply curious as to why so many Southerners have migrated into areas of South Jersey and Pennsylvania when so many people from those areas have actually been moving south. Southerners have also not been noted for loving Northern culture, yet they move up here anyway.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I just read someone's post on this site that South Jersey has many people flying Confederate flags...I don't understand it either, how so many southerners have found their way up north.
Just because they have confederate flags does not mean they are from the south. People from south Jersey might Think they're from the south,I mean they have the appalachian look down but other than that they don't resemble the south very much. Oh and the flags,they have them in Philly also,but I think they use it for more of a racist thing unfortunately.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
african-americans from chicago to detroit to cincinnati and st.louis have southern accents given the migration patterns...i mean the midwest is something of an extension of the south...
Seattle also had a big migration of african americans from the south, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama and Texas. Most came during the 40's and 50's. I hear southern accents all the time.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
I think if it wasn't for the rapid growth of the Poconos, PA overall would be stagnant.
And that's just the criminals and others coming from New York & NJ

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,345 times
Burlington, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Just because they have confederate flags does not mean they are from the south. People from south Jersey might Think they're from the south,I mean they have the appalachian look down but other than that they don't resemble the south very much. Oh and the flags,they have them in Philly also,but I think they use it for more of a racist thing unfortunately.
Maybe your right, maybe they think theyre from the South. I know people down there do love country music. But the fact is you can still find the confederate flag flying in Southern NJ. Ive noticed the Philly area is very racist.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I don't have a Confederate flag and neither do any of my family members.

The only people I've known down here to sport a Confederate flag was a girl from Vermont and a guy from Colorado.

I've seen Confederate flags on my trips through Ohio and Pennsylvania too, but I don't think they are transplanted southerners. Strangely I have seen more Confederate flags on my trips north than I seen in Tennessee.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Northern Missouri up into Southern Iowa. Also up into central and western Illinois.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 PM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
I've heard southern accents throughout southern portions of Illinois and Indiana. Listening to the radio commericals throughout that region you also hear southern accents mixed in with midwestern ones. It's obvious that region is a transitional zone between the southern/midwestern accents. But once you head into Kentucky (a little past Louisville) from Indiana, the southern accent picks up rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.