Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city is biggest on hockey?
Boston 25 16.56%
Chicago 17 11.26%
Detroit 39 25.83%
New York 3 1.99%
Philadelphia 27 17.88%
Pittsburgh 11 7.28%
Los Angeles 2 1.32%
Other 27 17.88%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:19 PM

151 posts, read 124,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Massachusetts has 395 active player with 6,750,000 PA has 145 and has 2.5x the population.
Mass is 2nd per capita.
California has 113 NHL players with 37,000,000.
You get the idea, unless you're tragically awful at math.

Nice link for these "stats". Still waiting on the Bruins tv viewership from the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
As IShootNikon pointed out, that isn't exactly true.

I included Denver because they are big in college hockey as well as NHL, but I'd be fine with including them in the mud slinging group.

My point is that hockey is bigger than just the NHL and when it comes to all levels the top 4 I mentioned are definitely the biggest hockey cities.

Denver hasn't been big on the NHL since the Avalanche's Cup in 2003. Get real. They're having notorious attendance issues. Football reigns supreme in Denver. It's college hockey? Seriously?

College hockey registers for a fraction of the interest. If hockey at it's highest level is struggling to sell out, how the **** can it be considered the best hockey town?

You know nothing about hockey. How many cities have you been to? How many games? How many arenas? Sounds like you need to get out more.

In a country where football is the unequivocal king of the sports landscape, and then baseball and basketball, hockey doesn't register on 95% of them.

The best states for hockey registration are MN, MI, NY, MA, PA and IL. From that, you also have different levels of hockey attendance from high school to pro and most importantly, NHL team support, because that is the highest level.

Answer me this, if Boston is such a great hockey town, why couldn't their professional hockey team SELL OUT THE ****ING ARENA?

The answer is St. Paul, MN above every single city. Highest numbers of attendance across the board, Minnesota Wild attendance/sellout streak, HS, college and registered youth hockey players.

Hockey interest in Boston has notoriously dipped in recent years and it took a Stanley Cup victory in 2011 to put it back on the map, although numbers have plateaued once again. PA and IL have gone up, however, this only counts partially.

Most of all, if your NHL team is having trouble at the gate, it's safe to say you shouldn't be considered whatsoever.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Still waiting for stats to back up your statement "You're aware that PA, IL and CA are churning out more hockey players % wise now than MA and MI, correct?"

Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post

Denver hasn't been big on the NHL since the Avalanche's Cup in 2003. Get real. They're having notorious attendance issues. Football reigns supreme in Denver. It's college hockey? Seriously?

College hockey registers for a fraction of the interest. If hockey at it's highest level is struggling to sell out, how the **** can it be considered the best hockey town?

You know nothing about hockey. How many cities have you been to? How many games? How many arenas? Sounds like you need to get out more.

In a country where football is the unequivocal king of the sports landscape, and then baseball and basketball, hockey doesn't register on 95% of them.

The best states for hockey registration are MN, MI, NY, MA, PA and IL. From that, you also have different levels of hockey attendance from high school to pro and most importantly, NHL team support, because that is the highest level.

Answer me this, if Boston is such a great hockey town, why couldn't their professional hockey team SELL OUT THE ****ING ARENA?

The answer is St. Paul, MN above every single city. Highest numbers of attendance across the board, Minnesota Wild attendance/sellout streak, HS, college and registered youth hockey players.

Hockey interest in Boston has notoriously dipped in recent years and it took a Stanley Cup victory in 2011 to put it back on the map, although numbers have plateaued once again. PA and IL have gone up, however, this only counts partially.

Most of all, if your NHL team is having trouble at the gate, it's safe to say you shouldn't be considered whatsoever.
I have been to hundreds of arenas since I used to, ya know, play the game.

Only a person who has never put on a pair of skates would act as though NHL attendance is the best way to measure hockey interest. Boston has top notch college teams (BC, BU, U-Mass Lowell) that generate just as much local interest as a lot of NHL teams in other cities. See when your city actually produces top notch hockey talent, you tend to follow those kids as opposed to underachieving Canadians and Russians making up your NHL team, novel concept I know.

By the way I have zero attachment to Boston. I am from St. Paul so I understand perfectly well what real hockey interest is.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I have been to hundreds of arenas since I used to, ya know, play the game.

Only a person who has never put on a pair of skates would act as though NHL attendance is the best way to measure hockey interest. Boston has top notch college teams (BC, BU, U-Mass Lowell) that generate just as much local interest as a lot of NHL teams in other cities. See when your city actually produces top notch hockey talent, you tend to follow those kids as opposed to underachieving Canadians and Russians making up your NHL team, novel concept I know.

By the way I have zero attachment to Boston. I am from St. Paul so I understand perfectly well what real hockey interest is.
He sounds like someone who has never been to a college hockey game.
In PA and Downstate NY, College Hockey is basically irrelevant, but it is the marquee College Sport in NE, its like College Football in the South, or College Basketball in the Midwest.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
In PA and Downstate NY, College Hockey is basically irrelevant, but it is the marquee College Sport in NE, its like College Football in the South, or College Basketball in the Midwest.
He is probably scouring the Internet trying to come up with a reason why Bostonian's don't support college hockey.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:57 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,321 times
Quote:
I think college hockey in New England is not even remotely comparable to college football in the South. I've lived all over New England before and college hockey was never a topic of conversation. There was no significant college hockey culture/fan base and certainly not anything like college football in the South.

I have never in my life met a single diehard college hockey fan.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-11-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,321 times
The Falcons who were only a .500 team last year still managed to sell more tickets than the Patriots despite GA Tech football being another option for them. The Saints still managed to average more tickets sold than the Patriots during a losing season despite having LSU as another option.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
The Falcons who were only a .500 team last year still managed to sell more tickets than the Patriots despite GA Tech football being another option for them. The Saints still managed to average more tickets sold than the Patriots during a losing season despite having LSU as another option.
You cannot compare Football attendance with any other sport (or even fandom for that matter as football fans are always irrationally die-hard). It's much easier to have consistent attendance when you only have 8 home games a year that happen to be on a day when 85% of the population is off of work. On top of that, College and Pro football never conflict.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I think college hockey in New England is not even remotely comparable to college football in the South. I've lived all over New England before and college hockey was never a topic of conversation. There was no significant college hockey culture/fan base and certainly not anything like college football in the South.

I have never in my life met a single diehard college hockey fan.

It's the lamest excuse I have ever heard. "We follow college hockey too much to follow the Bruins". What's so different about the Bruins that you can't follow them? Another excuse I heard is that Bruins tickets are too expensive. But yet they won't hesitate to tell you that they have one of the highest salaries per capita in Boston. Something doesn't add up here.

The NFL doesn't have trouble selling out in the South despite the obscenely large college football following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.