Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
Not really.

I'm from SE Michigan btw. Minneapolis is colder, but both winters you're dealing with snow and cold. In Minneapolis the temperature will drop a little bit more but it will also be sunnier. Also the cold window is slightly longer in Minneapolis.

Don't get me wrong, winters in SE Michigan are easier than in Minneapolis. But not dramatically different.
Yeah, you have to go south of I-40 to get a dramatically warmer winter than the midwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 02:36 AM

110 posts, read 130,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott53051 View Post
Syracuse, Buffalo, Fargo, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Des Moines, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Rochester, Youngstown and Juneau, Alaska all look balmy compared to Hurley, Wisconsin.

Average high in January is 19 F.
Average low in January is 0 F.
Average annual snowfall is 165 inches.
Record low temperature is minus -36 F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurley,_Wisconsin#Climate
Hurley really surprised me: I did not expect 165 inches (over four metres) of snow at low altitudes anywhere in North America! Moreover, the winters are cold, too, being as cold as Fargo. The January record high is, believe it or not, lower than Fairbanks in the chinook belt of interior Alaska. Although the summers are pleasantly warm to very warm, those winters are bitter and brutal – comparable to Quebec’s Côte-Nord or presumably parts of Sakhalin.

Believe it or not, nearby Ironwood, Michigan has even more snow at around 188 inches (4.78 metres) and a colder record low, although it is marginally less frigid on average in winter. Baie-Comeau has recorded minus 53 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 47.2 degrees Celsius) but receives “only” 3.7 metres of snow each year (though snow cover is a much better comparison of how unpleasant it is).

Whether these cities are horrible compared to Phoenix or Yuma or any other really hot city is another question, though.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:57 AM

110 posts, read 130,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Lol I know. Winter is more like an event in Texas than an actual season. It's like an extended version of late Oct - early Nov. by Northeast standards.
Actually, Dallas (and Texas in general) winters vary from very warm (high 70s Fahrenheit) to genuinely chilly (below freezing), with occasional periods of comfortable but rainy weather.

Different winters can be quite radically different in the balance of these three types of weather. For instance, the winter of 1956/1957 was almost completely dominated by warm, stable subtropical air masses, whereas the winter of 1991/1992 was extremely stormy due to a powerful split jet stream, and the winters of 1963/1964 and 1977/1978 were dominated by very cold airmasses from further north.

There is some truth in the idea that winter is an “event” in Texas rather than a season, because the weather on average is pleasant or even warm by day and cold or merely cool in the mornings, yet it does occasionally get really frigid. Looking at my old NOAA .pdf of climate normals, it’s notable that Austin — fairly far south in Texas — records a maximum below freezing twice every five years, whereas Canberra, although about 5˚C or 9˚F cooler on an average winter afternoon, has never in over a century recorded a maximum colder than 4.4˚C or 40˚F. San Antonio — hotter by around 6˚C or 11˚F than Canberra during midwinter afternoons, still has absolute minima about 7˚C or 13˚F lower.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:46 AM

817 posts, read 627,318 times
Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh. Cities with long, cold and snowy winters combined with intense grey cloud cover that just makes you depressed as hell.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:53 AM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh. Cities with long, cold and snowy winters combined with intense grey cloud cover that just makes you depressed as hell.
Seattle and Portland rarely get snow nor do they really get cold.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:00 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times

Oh man, such hell.

Sure beats weeks of 105 in Dallas right now.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:02 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
No, the worst climates are any in the southern 2/3 of the US, horrid levels of heat, humidity, too much sun, and too drought prone. The best climates in the US with a warming overall climate will be found in the northern 1/3 of the US that will have far less water supply issues. Cloud cover is zero issue, most Americans have Vitamin D deficiency in the winter that they fail to address by taking a basic supplement. Complaints about cold weather means many don't have the proper winter gear.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:27 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times
Quote:

Couldn't agree more

Old 07-14-2022, 01:12 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,046,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, the worst climates are any in the southern 2/3 of the US, horrid levels of heat, humidity, too much sun, and too drought prone. The best climates in the US with a warming overall climate will be found in the northern 1/3 of the US that will have far less water supply issues. Cloud cover is zero issue, most Americans have Vitamin D deficiency in the winter that they fail to address by taking a basic supplement. Complaints about cold weather means many don't have the proper winter gear.
Haha I feel the complete opposite. A climate where it never gets below 65 or 70 - ever - (e.g. a tropical climate) would be great for me. Too bad the US really only has two such zones, Hawaii and South Florida.

If I never saw another 50 degree or below day (outside of ski trips) that would be lovely.

Old 07-14-2022, 02:30 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Haha I feel the complete opposite. A climate where it never gets below 65 or 70 - ever - (e.g. a tropical climate) would be great for me. Too bad the US really only has two such zones, Hawaii and South Florida.

If I never saw another 50 degree or below day (outside of ski trips) that would be lovely.
LOL, I would prefer it if I never saw another high temperature above 75F. Luckily, housing prices are lower in most areas that have a decent amount of snowfall and colder temperatures. Most people in the US are highly allergic to cold and snow, and would prefer 100F heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.