Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 10:26 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,985,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I’ll take your word for it. 9 yrs is much more insightful and knowledgeable than my one year.
Yeah key word about Orlando... "for what it is" lol

Old 05-19-2023, 10:27 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

I also think the supermajority of Boston immigration is chain migration, that stems from its past legacy as a hub of the industrial revolution...not the universities.
The bulk of the internationalism/cosmopolitanism is in working-class areas without colleges nearby. Dating way back before college enrollment was a big deal.

Revere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T9X17fEjpQ

Framingham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utMk-eBPFZ0

New Bedford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKA9QaYiyuo

Randolph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-8D8_7TUs

Quincy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfLfOpjzqY

Watertown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5n-ifI0QWo

Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Orlando area feels very cosmopolitan for what it is.

I felt the same.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:36 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
I find DC to be not that cosmopolitan in the city like Miami or Boston, but the suburbs make it top 5, suburbs move Boston down considerably with it mostly being buoyed by independent gateway cities many don't immediately attribute to Boston.

I also think the supermajority of Boston immigration is chain migration, that stems from its past legacy as a hub of the industrial revolution...not the universities.

Much of Florida in general feels cosmopolitan to me. Not North Florida though. Idk about DFW, ik Atlanta suburbs are fairly cosmopolitan but honestly, I feel like places like Sacramento or Vegas would be more cosmopolitan.
For DFW, like Atlanta, it's the suburbs. DFW of the 90s and DFW now are night and day. The last few decades have seen phenomenal ethnic community growth. The problem is they are not ingrained as Houston. For example, DFW has a larger Indian population than Houston now, but Houston has had a larger Indian population previously and had that for generations so the culture is more ingrained in Houston than DFW. The same with Mexican and even African American. DFW recently passed Houston for both, but those cultures were bigger in Houston for longer so you see a more richly engrained culture there than DFW.

But give it some time, DFW is definitely heading in that direction. I might be presumptuous by listing it among the top 10, but it needs to be in whatever tier Atlanta is.

DFW is also determined to mimic traditional cosmopolitan cities. It kinda does things more out of show than actual necessity. Poorly implemented rail lines, over the top bridges that look out of place... Those things don't make a place cosmopolitan, but legacy cosmopolitan cities have iconic infrastructure so it is something that Dallas can claim, but a lot of times it comes off forced.

This bridge is a good example: https://img1.10bestmedia.com/Images/...55_660x440.jpg

Why would anyone build such a statement piece over a puddle of water? I doubt the Golden Gate Bridge would have people from all over the world snapping pics of it if it just ran over a prairie.

Houston tries less (or not at all) they are more functional than flashy. This is probably Houston's flashiest bridge:
https://megaconstrucciones.net/image...man-bridge.jpg
https://media.istockphoto.com/id/139...pyWwzb1wDcee0=
Simple, but at least it's over water

But yeah, I wouldn't sleep on DFW. They deserve to be in the convo

Old 05-19-2023, 12:03 PM

Also smaller nodes around Boston.

like Revere- lot of Moroccans and Cambodian. On top of the longer-established Italian, Puerto Rican and Central American communities

Revere rallies around Morocco amid historic World Cup run

City officials say that around 10% of Revere’s population is Moroccan. And within moments of the history-making African team’s wins over Spain and Portugal, sizable crowds took to the Revere streets in joyous celebration. (Police even had to briefly close a stretch of Route 1A near Revere Beach on Tuesday following the dramatic win over Spain.)

I have even found communities of Laotians and Montserratians in Boston area. People who arrive as refugees. And cant forget the Sudanese of Manchester New Hampshire.

Haitian chef Eddie George, 27, launched the Haitian-Laotian-American takeout spot with Laotian partner Joy Phoubaykham in November 2019

Montserrat premier visits Boston

In the shadow of a volcano, Montserrat's draw
But why the Boston connection?

Montserrat's Irish heritage might be a draw for some, particularly in mid-March when the island throws a bash to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Many of the original European colonists on Montserrat were Irish, as evidenced by surnames and place names even today. Montserrat is nicknamed the Emerald Isle of the Caribbean, and it is the only country besides Ireland where St. Patrick's Day is a national holiday.

Then again, the island's popularity with people from the Boston area could be proof that word of mouth is the best advertising.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 05-19-2023 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-19-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

DFW is also determined to mimic traditional cosmopolitan cities. It kinda does things more out of show than actual necessity. Poorly implemented rail lines, over the top bridges that look out of place... Those things don't make a place cosmopolitan, but legacy cosmopolitan cities have iconic infrastructure so it is something that Dallas can claim, but a lot of times it comes off forced.

This bridge is a good example: https://img1.10bestmedia.com/Images/...55_660x440.jpg

Why would anyone build such a statement piece over a puddle of water? I doubt the Golden Gate Bridge would have people from all over the world snapping pics of it if it just ran over a prairie.
That bridge is absolutely absurd and very....Dallas. Stereotypically.

I think Dallas and Atlanta try very very hard to be cosmopolitan and it does have a positive impact on their reputation. But yes, I can kind of see it for what it is trying to be (with success).

Old 05-19-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
...and once the Coyotes move to Houston, they will have a Houston franchise in every Major League (Baseball + Football + Basketball + Soccer (M & W) + Hockey)

Houston is already home to the best museums in the south, one of the largest medical centers in the world, among the tops in # of embassies/ fortune 500 companies, one of the largest ports, etc.

From an academic standpoint, Houston is home to the best academic institution in the state of Texas (Rice University) and is also home to a 50,000 student public P5 University (University of Houston- Big 12).

Few cities in the United States can match Houston's resume.
I think this puts Houston in the same tier with DC Chicago SF and Boston. All of whom could boast the same.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:10 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,850 times
Quote:
I think this puts Houston in the same tier with DC Chicago SF and Boston. All of whom could boast the same.

..and LA.

NYC is missing the P5 but they have Columbia and obviously they are the alpha city if the US.

Houston also has greater international diversity than DC and Boston.

Very short list of 5-10.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:22 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,850 times
Top 10 Most Cosmopolitan Cities in the United States

Tier 1
New York City
Los Angeles

Tier 2
San Francisco
Houston
Chicago
District of Columbia

Tier 3
Boston
Miami
Dallas
Atlanta

Old 05-19-2023, 01:19 PM

184 posts, read 315,997 times
Metro Areas by Foreign Born % from Census 2021

Miami Metro --------------- 41.5%
Los Angeles Metro --------- 32.6%
Riverside Metro ------------ 21.7%
San Francisco Metro ------- 31.2%
San Jose Metro ------------- 39.6%
NYC Metro ------------------ 29.4%
Houston Metro -------------- 24.1%
Washington D.C. Metro ----- 23%
Baltimore Metro ------------- 11%
Seattle Metro ---------------- 20%
Boston Metro ---------------- 19.5%
Providence Metro ----------- 14.2%
Dallas Metro ----------------- 19.1%
Chicago Metro --------------- 17.9%
Atlanta Metro ---------------- 13.8%
Phoenix Metro --------------- 13.4%
Philadelphia Metro ----------- 11.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.