Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 11:13 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I wouldn't say Atlanta is glitzy but a good portion of the north looks very rich. You can click on the neighborhoods of Buckhead here in this link just to see the varied homes there: https://www.buckhead.com/neighborhoods/ There are so many beautiful homes but that website only shows a small fraction.
Impressed. Alot of cool neighborhoods, urban, but quirky. Well done Atlanta.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:22 PM

106 posts, read 60,645 times
Most people "praising" Philadelphia in NYC are 100% transplants from Ohio, corporate Chads or Gretchens with art degrees. Despite Philadelphia being one of my favorite cities in the world and the food being magnificent, actual native New Yorkers despise Philly and have a ghetto perception of the city, which I try to explain to them, it's not so true anymore (love me so Fishtown breweries and Northern Liberties brunch, lol).

I perceived Atlanta a little bit more cosmopolitan than Philly.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:12 PM

830 posts, read 452,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post
Most people "praising" Philadelphia in NYC are 100% transplants from Ohio, corporate Chads or Gretchens with art degrees. Despite Philadelphia being one of my favorite cities in the world and the food being magnificent, actual native New Yorkers despise Philly and have a ghetto perception of the city, which I try to explain to them, it's not so true anymore (love me so Fishtown breweries and Northern Liberties brunch, lol).

I find Atlanta to be more cosmopolitan than Philly as well. It just seems more worldly to me. A lot of people here seem to mix up urban and cosmopolitan.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:36 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowery View Post

I really don't think that's accurate. The Philly region is chock full of native NYers. And the city does NOT attract clean-cut corporate types--that's what makes it unique.

If anything, isn't it the Midwestern transplants to places like NYC that act like they've "made it" in life and relish in carrying out an aloof and elitist mindset regarding any other city? You know REAL NYers, because they are much more inclined to criticize the city.

Objectively speaking, I too would give Atlanta the edge on "cosmopolitanism," if only because of its behemoth airport. It's certainly in the same "tier" of cosmopolitanism, however, in that it's a major national city with slight-to-moderate global pull. Very similar to Philadelphia overall in that sense.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-03-2023 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
I find Atlanta to be more cosmopolitan than Philly as well. It just seems more worldly to me. A lot of people here seem to mix up urban and cosmopolitan.

That seems reasonable to me. It is close. But ATL has more immigrants and equal to slightly higher ed levels.

https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-e...area-2007-2017
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ropolitan-area

Old 05-08-2023, 09:12 PM

374 posts, read 257,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
That seems reasonable to me. It is close. But ATL has more immigrants and equal to slightly higher ed levels.

https://ssti.org/blog/useful-stats-e...area-2007-2017
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ropolitan-area

Yeah, sounds about right. Places like Portland, OR might even be considered urban, but definitely not overly cosmopolitan. Same goes for Austin, TX.

These places get a lot of hype, but they have a long way to go in that category.

I'd rank NYC, LA, Chicago, San Francisco and Miami as most cosmopolitan. I don't have stats or anything to prove it. Just following my intuition on this one. There isn't exactly a "sweet science" on this one lol.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:33 PM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Big time! Cosmopolitan does not equate to urban.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:06 PM

28 posts, read 16,132 times
I definitely would not classify the Detroit area as a whole, one of the most cosmopolitan metros in the US, not even close, but some areas (such as mine) have quite a large immigrant population. Lots of Chaldeans, Albanians and Macedonians, and I’m sure you can guess what area I’m from by that if you’re familiar with the Detroit area. I was in high school from 2017 to 2021 and the environment/vibe at my high school was pretty influenced by the culture of the people from those backgrounds. Lots of kids who weren’t immigrants or their parents weren’t immigrants listened to their music, tried to participate in the culture because of their friends, etc. There definitely is a difference with the older people though. A lot of the older people who have been here for decades aren’t too fond of the immigrants.

Old 05-16-2023, 12:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
18Montclair is right.

I think I would add Miami, SD, Seattle, and maybe Chicago, but not Houston.
How is SD and Seattle more cosmopolitan than Houston?
1. Houston has more theater seating than all but NYC
2. Houston has far more diversity than SD or Seattle and I'm not talking just because of its large Mexican native population. It rivals NYC and LA for most diverse metro.
3. As result of its diversity, Houston has a great foodie dining scene.
4. Houston is a seaport town more so than SD or Seattle.

Chicago as only a "maybe" is laughable. It IS cosmopolitan!

Old 05-16-2023, 12:42 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How is SD and Seattle more cosmopolitan than Houston?

Chicago as only a "maybe" is laughable. It IS cosmopolitan!
That post is from 2008…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.