Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times

Advertisements

I think nowadays people work out definition for words based on association.

They hear urban and they think of NYC. What is NYC known for? Tightly packed buildings and public transit so they ridiculously assume if a city isn't tightly packed or cris crossed with rail it is somehow not urban. Urban simply means of the city as opposed to of the country/ rural areas. Suburbs are also city-like but the difference is they depend on the city for amenities.

Similarly, because the term cosmopolitan was appropriated for fancy magazines and drinks people some how think cosmopolitan means flashy. It simply means worldly.

That poster can attack me all she wants, but the best you can get Asian countries into the cosmopolitan sphere is by saying Tokyo has cosmopolitan connections. She laughed when I said Trinidad is more diverse than Tokyo meaning she doesn't know anything about the demographics of Trinidadian.

The Asian megacities have economies that tie them to all over the world, but their fancy towers, high speed rail, densely populated Urban Areas don't make them cosmopolitan. That is not what the word means. Yall have been watching too much Will and Grace.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Americans are so obsessed with rankings. To me the ranking doesn’t matter. It is binary. A city is either cosmopolitan or it isn’t.

I tend to agree with H’ton’s definition of cosmopolitan, except for the tall buildings bit. Cultural institutions are important to me, but not all C-D users care much about the Fine Arts or Performing Arts. Honestly I think most C-D users care more about pop culture influence.

In this day and age does it matter who has the better symphony or more museums? I don’t think so. Most people would not hear the difference between the NY Philharmonic, the Houston Symphony Orchestra, or the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. I am a trained musician and I could not “name that orchestra” on the radio. Music is an experience and performances should be enjoyed live. If your city has an orchestra, great, enjoy it!

Same with museums…how many times do people go to museums? How many times do Parisians go to the Louvre? You can only see the Mona Lisa so many times! In my experience people go to museums if they are visiting a city or if special exhibits are in town. There is no real value in rankings. If your city has these amenities then be content with that. No city has every single piece of artwork you ever wanted to see!

Old 08-05-2022, 01:22 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Americans are so obsessed with rankings. To me the ranking doesn’t matter. It is binary. A city is either cosmopolitan or it isn’t.
So in your scheme which city with over 100k isn't cosmopolitan? How do you even decide?

Old 08-05-2022, 01:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Again this is ridiculous. No city is in a bubble so it's not a matter of being cosmopolitan or not.

Its like asking which city doesn't have people. They all do.
Just like some cities will be bigger than others, some will be more cosmopolitan than others.

Its just a matter of degree.
And these are our most cosmopolitan cities:

NY, LA
DC, Houston, SF, Miami,
Boston, DFW, Atlanta, Philadelphia.

One of the better articles on the subject:https://simplicable.com/new/cosmopolitan-city

Last edited by atadytic19; 08-05-2022 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-05-2022, 02:03 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
^ Chicago too. But yea, I agree.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
NYC
LA
Miami
SF
Chicago

Old 08-05-2022, 10:34 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The implication is that Houston is somehow number 2 for the preforming arts in the US and it is objectively not. NYC, LA, and Chicago are ahead there.
I’d be willing to put a small amount of money on Boston being ahead of Houston for the performing arts too.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:57 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
2nd to only NYC in # of Fortune 500 Companies AND Theater seats

#1 in the nation in diversity..evident in the restaurant and cultural diversity

#4 in the nation in city population (soon to be #3) and I believe top 5 in number of skyscrapers

One of a handful of US cities to have residences in all of the performing arts I listed.

Home to dozens upon dozens of top notch museums and many institutions of higher learning. Rice and University of Houston were the most notable.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Texas Medical Center which is so highly regarded internationally that many fly into Houston just to seek treatment. That's on top of the number of medical innovations pioneered there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center

I believe Houston is viewed in far more favorable terms outside of the United States than inside the United States.

The Ismaili example I posted is VERY prestigious...they typically only select one city, per country, and they selected Houston for their United States location.

This is the class of cities they selected:

London
Toronto
Dubai
Lisbon
Houston

https://the.ismaili/ismaili-centres
LOL at how Houstonians (Houstoners?), always trot out out "theater seats" like it is some golden criteria for culture. Houston is probably top 10 for "culture / fine arts" in the U.S. but it's nowhere with the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago and probably not with Boston, SF or Philly either.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:49 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
LOL at how Houstonians (Houstoners?), always trot out out "theater seats" like it is some golden criteria for culture. Houston is probably top 10 for "culture / fine arts" in the U.S. but it's nowhere with the likes of NYC, LA, Chicago and probably not with Boston, SF or Philly either.
A fair assessment. Top 10 but not top 5 is where I would put it.
It's the same with art museums. Big square footage is great but you also have to look at the quality of the exhibits. MFAH may be top 5 in overall size but it doesn't have the number of well known pieces that real destination museums have.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:14 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
This Houstonian already beat you to criticizing it. I agree it’s stupid and most people here do too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.