Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 06:41 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
sorry you have a different opinion. But thats how it is around here.

Literally go to tiktok and watch The VIP List or Sabrina Brier's videos on Philadelphia (just two famous NYC tik tokers who came to mind) and thats a pretty accurate representation on how its seen around here. Not saying what they say about philly is warranted at all, its just how it is. Especially for Sub-30 y/o's
It's not. I live in Manhattan, have taken multiple friends back to visit Philly who loved it. Most of my friends (20s-30s) have visited and had mostly good things to say of it. Just because some d-bag on TikTok bashes it does not mean it is at all an accurate representation of how New Yorkers feel about Philly.

You're just wrong, case closed. Can we get back on topic now?

Old 08-15-2022, 07:45 PM

869 posts, read 319,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In this forum, in general, I have never seen a city, when, even a scintilla of criticism is placed, where the wagons are circled in its defense the likes of Philadelphia. Why, I have no idea.

You obviously haven't met anyone from Dallas

Old 08-15-2022, 09:24 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
My experience that is Northern NJ'ians are particularly defensive about their NYC allegiance, and that every other city is beyond compare. I've come across plenty of them, and without fail, that's the sense that I've gotten.

Actual NY'ers tend to have a pretty big soft spot for Philly. And generally speaking, Philadelphia has become pretty popular with Gen-Z: https://vista.today/2022/03/gen-z-ap...-philadelphia/

Anyhow, with that being said: where do cities like Denver, Nashville or Austin fit in this conversation? All three seem to have burgeoning cultural scenes, and attract plenty of newcomers--but do folks consider them "cosmopolitan?"
Now that I can definitely agree with you on. Again, I haven't lived in Northern NJ since 9/11/2001 but that's exactly the way it was when I left there.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:06 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
It's not. I live in Manhattan, have taken multiple friends back to visit Philly who loved it. Most of my friends (20s-30s) have visited and had mostly good things to say of it. Just because some d-bag on TikTok bashes it does not mean it is at all an accurate representation of how New Yorkers feel about Philly.

You're just wrong, case closed. Can we get back on topic now?

Again different opinions/experiences. You are boostering/running homerism. What you may experience, I wont. Im a lot younger than you and live in NJ. Its a dialogue. Im not sure how old are you, but in my age cohort.. oh yes it is.

Respect differences in what people experience so dialogue can continue.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:13 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
My experience that is Northern NJ'ians are particularly defensive about their NYC allegiance, and that every other city is beyond compare. I've come across plenty of them, and without fail, that's the sense that I've gotten.

Actual NY'ers tend to have a pretty big soft spot for Philly. And generally speaking, Philadelphia has become pretty popular with Gen-Z: https://vista.today/2022/03/gen-z-ap...-philadelphia/

Anyhow, with that being said: where do cities like Denver, Nashville or Austin fit in this conversation? All three seem to have burgeoning cultural scenes, and attract plenty of newcomers--but do folks consider them "cosmopolitan?"
Yeah NNJ people are real defensive of it. Which is okay too. They get a lottt of smack from everyone around it. lol. It was funny, I went to Philadelphia and wrote up a report saying how the 'PATCO Speedline' was the best experience I have had on public transit on the East Coast. And I got nearly attacked by NNJ/NYC people saying I was close minded and its not that good. idek... people are defensive where they are from here lol. Especially in Urban/City Planning. Each person has their own city and builds a fort around it and any opinion that goes against the grind will be immediately succumbed to scrutiny. On point, Philadelphia is increasing in popualrity because its big city / cosmopolitan energy + relative affordability + accessibility to nearby cities/beaches/mountains. Its a good investment too. People are picking up on that too. Im an outward advocate on Philadelphia and do like it, and one reason is because it is cosmopolitan.

There could be an argument made that NNJ including the municipalities of Jersey City+Hoboken+Weehawken+West New York+Edgewat+Harrison+Newark etc could be separately cosmopolitan or working its way to that status.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:49 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Again different opinions/experiences. You are boostering/running homerism. What you may experience, I wont. Im a lot younger than you and live in NJ. Its a dialogue. Im not sure how old are you, but in my age cohort.. oh yes it is.

Respect differences in what people experience so dialogue can continue.
I'm 30. I doubt our age gap is all that big. Most of my friends are 20s-30s, and claiming Philadelphia is universally despised amongst that age group is ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:37 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
That’s my post you’re referring to.

And no, another big NO, Boston is not a glitzy city.

Boston is very easily the glitziest city Ive been to save for Vegas New York and Miami. Honestly, it feels glitzier than LA on average. Boston not being a glitzy city doesn't even make sense to me unless you had far deep south into Boston. If anything its central areas are too expensive, polished, and shiny at this point. And despite what Ive read on this board I always see luxury and exotic vehicles in expensive areas of Boston.

Not just the Seaport but Fenway, Back Bay, South End, even Chinatown and East Boston Waterfront, not to mention much of Cambridge and Brookline.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:40 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is very easily the glitziest city Ive been to save for Vegas New York and Miami. Honestly, it feels glitzier than LA on average. Boston not being a glitzy city doesn't even make sense to me unless you had far deep south into Boston. If anything its central areas are too expensive, polished, and shiny at this point. And despite what Ive read on this board I always see luxury and exotic vehicles in expensive areas of Boston.

Not just the Seaport but Fenway, Back Bay, South End, even Chinatown and East Boston Waterfront, not to mention much of Cambridge and Brookline.
For its wealth it isn’t. Boston (and Cambridge etc) is mostly creaky old Triple deckers.

By contrast with like Seattle which has a ton of mostly sleek new apartments, or quite nice craftsman or Queen Anne single family homes.

Yeah it’s glitzed than Philly because it’s poverty rate is significantly lower.

Even Chicago is glitzier. Since it’s a lot more redeveloped. Nice neighborhoods look radically difference from Bad ones, Chelsea and South Boston (proper) look ver similar. Cambridge and Dorchester look very similar. River North and Garfield Park do not. Lakeview and Austin do not

Last edited by btownboss4; 08-20-2022 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-20-2022, 07:55 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For its wealth it isn’t. Boston (and Cambridge etc) is mostly creaky old Triple deckers.

By contrast with like Seattle which has a ton of mostly sleek new apartments, or quite nice craftsman single family homes

Yeah it’s glitzed than Philly because it’s poverty rate is significantly lower.

Even Chicago is glitzier. Since it’s a lot more redeveloped.
buut theyre not creaky though.... Theyre really well kept in most of the area, colorful and heavily modernized and renovated onthe inside. And theres a ton of new apartments that are obscenely expensive with absurd amenities. The water views, and general convenience is HIGH.

There are creaky old triple-decker areas but it's mostly much further into the working class areas a few miles south and north of downtown. Things like RoadRunner, Big Night Live, Hub Hall, One Dalton, the Millenium Tower, and The New Balance center.track, Kendall Square, Seaport etc etc very glitzy.

Even still one could say Miami is actually mostly rundown motel style apartments and tiny bungalows and NYC is mostly old rickety shoebox apartments..And it that really empirically is probably be more true than saying Boston is mostly old creaky tripledeckers. Id be more inclined to ride with this in 2012 than 2022 bth.

I've never been to Seattle or spent significant time in Chicago but Boston was certainly more glitzy in feel than the overall fell of LA Las Vegas Pittsburgh Orlando Philly Baltimore or Denver.

It felt equivalent to San Fran and DC. Maybe more so than DC proper. And Since i visited SF I think that glitz has probably dissipated while Bsotons has grown.

The glitzy part of Cambridge (Central Square, Harvard Square, Kendall Squarem anywhere ear the Galleria (arguably East Cambridge now)) nad the "glitzy" part of Dorchester dont look similar at all.... same for Chelsea and South Boston (Seaport/Broadway).

Old 08-20-2022, 08:31 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
buut theyre not creaky though.... Theyre really well kept in most of the area, colorful and heavily modernized and renovated onthe inside. And theres a ton of new apartments that are obscenely expensive with absurd amenities. The water views, and general convenience is HIGH.

There are creaky old triple-decker areas but it's mostly much further into the working class areas a few miles south and north of downtown. Things like RoadRunner, Big Night Live, Hub Hall, One Dalton, the Millenium Tower, and The New Balance center.track, Kendall Square, Seaport etc etc very glitzy.

Even still one could say Miami is actually mostly rundown motel style apartments and tiny bungalows and NYC is mostly old rickety shoebox apartments..And it that really empirically is probably be more true than saying Boston is mostly old creaky tripledeckers. Id be more inclined to ride with this in 2012 than 2022 bth.

I've never been to Seattle or spent significant time in Chicago but Boston was certainly more glitzy in feel than the overall fell of LA Las Vegas Pittsburgh Orlando Philly Baltimore or Denver.

It felt equivalent to San Fran and DC. Maybe more so than DC proper. And Since i visited SF I think that glitz has probably dissipated while Bsotons has grown.

The glitzy part of Cambridge (Central Square, Harvard Square, Kendall Squarem anywhere ear the Galleria (arguably East Cambridge now)) nad the "glitzy" part of Dorchester dont look similar at all.... same for Chelsea and South Boston (Seaport/Broadway).
I think it’s pretty undeniable Chicago have basically rebuilt entire neighborhoods. Chicago and Boston are both about equally depopulated from 1950. But If Southern/Western Chicago was a city it’d probably look like Cleveland Statistically. While the Northern 3rd is a pretty throughly yuppfued city. There was far more people just moving into old working class housing in Boston than Chicago. It’s not even remotely close.

Cities like Baltimore or Orlando is obviously less glitzy. Nobody has money there.but if cities of rough equivalent in wealth, I don’t think Boston is more glitzy.

I will cede Boston has lost a lot of that stereotypically “yankee stinginess” because most people with money in Boston aren’t New Englanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.