Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2023, 08:39 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I like the list, but I would move Chicago down to tier 3.

Chicago has no business being with SF, Houston and DC.
Good grief this is ridiculous. So you're saying an Alpha A globally Top 20 most powerful (I'm being conservative here) business cities has "no business" being with SF, Houston or DC? What!? I think you are either a hater or perhaps you should open your mind a bit and read and listen.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:41 AM

830 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Good grief this is ridiculous. So you're saying an Alpha A globally Top 20 most powerful (I'm being conservative here) business cities has "no business" being with SF, Houston or DC? What!? I think you are either a hater or perhaps you should open your mind a bit and read and listen.
I think those three cities are more cosmopolitan but “no business” is strong language for sure. I think Chicago belongs on the backend of that tier. It’s more cosmopolitan that the cities below it for sure.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:59 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Tokyo is the most important city in the eastern Hemisphere but is less cosmopolitan than a city like Albany

Old 05-20-2023, 09:10 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
hold on hold on why would Philadelphia be there. ? It's 11% foreign born...
Come on...
Again, I am not debating the order, but if you can't see objective reasons why Philadelphia belongs in Tier 3, then I don't what to tell ya...

Separately, Chicago is 100% in tier 2, a small group of posters are determined to bury Chicago, I don't get it...

Old 05-20-2023, 10:37 AM

372 posts, read 203,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Come on...
Again, I am not debating the order, but if you can't see objective reasons why Philadelphia belongs in Tier 3, then I don't what to tell ya...

Separately, Chicago is 100% in tier 2, a small group of posters are determined to bury Chicago, I don't get it...

LOL, it is obvious, but I think most can see through it. We all have opinions, and some are based on fact and reality...others, just a bias. A bias, after a while, can't be hidden any longer, so it becomes obvious. I concur, Chicago is definitely in Tier 2...one of 3 Alpha cities in our country.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
[/b]

LOL, it is obvious, but I think most can see through it. We all have opinions, and some are based on fact and reality...others, just a bias. A bias, after a while, can't be hidden any longer, so it becomes obvious. I concur, Chicago is definitely in Tier 2...one of 3 Alpha cities in our country.
Chicago is big, wealthy and important but also significantly less international than SF, Houston or DC. Chicago is both less foreign born and it’s international population is overwhelmingly Mexican while Houston, DC and SF are more diverse.

I’d say Tier 3 is fitting, I think it’s near but slightly less cosmopolitan than Boston.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Chicago is big, wealthy and important but also significantly less international than SF, Houston or DC. Chicago is both less foreign born and it’s international population is overwhelmingly Mexican while Houston, DC and SF are more diverse.

I’d say Tier 3 is fitting, I think it’s near but slightly less cosmopolitan than Boston.
Weird...again, I say look at the first post. Internationally born wasn't one of the criteria.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Weird...again, I say look at the first post. Internationally born wasn't one of the criteria.
International migration is at least ~80% of what makes a place feel cosmopolitan.

White people don’t have curry nights or Taca Tuesday’s without some semblance of those cultures around town.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:11 AM

2,857 posts, read 2,168,427 times
Quote:
Looks like no one over the past week is answering OP's question which I think is not something that can be looked up because it is about attitudes of the population than diversity or institutions per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
What, in your opinion, are the U.S.'s most cosmopolitan cities? By cosmopolitan cities I do not necessarily mean those with a high immigrant population (though that could help), but those where the average, local resident has "cosmopolitan" or "global" tastes in food, music, etc. For example, a place where it wouldn't be unusual for a local-born person to listen to Italian rock or Arabic dance, or where your average person would have broad food tastes, with Ethiopian, Indian, etc. food not seen as unusual at all.
Honestly by OP's criteria none of the cities really stand out. You don't really see East Asians at Diwali or Arabs at Chinese New Year celebrations for example in even the most integrated cities. Aside from St Patrick's or Cinco de Mayo people mostly stay in their own lane. All ethnicities will have greater knowledge of the prominent local group in the area so black or brown New Yorkers would know about Yom Kippur and Houstonians know how to pronounce Nguyen, but nothing really deep.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
International migration is at least ~80% of what makes a place feel cosmopolitan.

White people don’t have curry nights or Taca Tuesday’s without some semblance of those cultures around town.
Really? I would disagree with that, but if you think Chicago is white bread and bologna, so be it...it doesn't really change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.