Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:10 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
. . . the main reason Philly is edging out Chicago in my mind is its proximity to a greater number of major cities. While it's not Texas-level isolated, Chicago seems like it has fewer short trip options.
I agree. IMO, Chicago has the second best downtown scene, topped only by NYC. One of the main reasons we didn't consider it when relocating from Texas a few years ago, however, is it location. Philly offers amazing access to a diverse range of interesting get-aways, being about half-way between DC and NYC. In under two or so hours of driving (or train), you can reach NYC, DC, Baltimore, Annapolis, Valley Forge, Gettysburg, quaint resorts such as Cape May and Rehoboth Beach, Atlantic City, Maryland's Eastern Shore, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, the Pocono Mountains, Brandywine Valley, Lancaster Amish country, rolling countryside dotted with covered bridges, etc. Chicago's offerings just don't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TU08nola View Post
H
Haha If I can pull it off, then I'll definitely share! I may have to hire someone else to do my taxes for the first time ever with all that complication :P But I agree; it'd be worth it.
I regret not taking the leap from somewhat similar circumstances. Now that I'm married with kids I'm working back towards being able to do it again for a year or two, but even if I'm able to it won't be the same anymore.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:07 AM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILiveInAmerica View Post
New York
Chicago
Philly/SF
Boston
DC

No.
NYC
Chicago
SF/DC/LA
Philly/Miami/Boston

Old 04-28-2017, 06:40 AM

105 posts, read 91,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
NYC
Chicago
SF/DC/LA
Philly/Miami/Boston

I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
NYC
Chicago
SF/DC/LA
Philly/Miami/Boston
In what universe is downtown Miami on the same level as CC Philly and downtown Boston?

And downtown LA doesn't belong with SF and DC.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah
Philly sounds just right for you if you can put up with the winters.
I wouldn't consider winters there even remotely bad. I'm from the New England area and also lived in NYC for 12 years followed by a bit over a year just outside of Philadelphia (10 minutes outside specifically). Philly averages just 15" of snow a year which is nothing. It also misses a lot of the big blizzards that hit the NYC area which is only about an hour and a half away. I also lived there the year of some so called big blizzard which only left a few inches on the ground and people were freaking out. Funnily enough my fiancee would always joke about the winter there is nothing compared to NYC and I would joke that NYC winter is nothing compared to New England lol.

Anyway, OP if you don't like rain/gloom you wouldn't like Portland cause outside of summer months (which are amazing) that is mostly what it will be. I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of Portland and I think this year from October through the end of April we averaged 5 days a week of rain. If you can deal with that then it's one of the most beautiful areas of the country and also an amazing beer scene there. Never been to San Diego though I always heard it has some of the best weather in the country.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 04-28-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-28-2017, 09:09 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
The winters there are not even remotely bad. I'm from the New England area and also lived in NYC for 12 years followed by a bit over a year just outside of Philadelphia (10 minutes outside specifically). Philly averages just 15" of snow a year which is nothing. I also lived there the year of some so called big blizzard which only left a few inches on the ground and people were freaking out.
It does get cold though. Since the OP will relocate from Dallas, it will feel dramatically colder in Philly during the winter months, even if it's not New England cold. And when it does snow, you have to deal with that as well. Can be fun too though.

Just being real.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:24 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It does get cold though. Since the OP will relocate from Dallas, it will feel dramatically colder in Philly during the winter months, even if it's not New England cold. And when it does snow, you have to deal with that as well. Can be fun too though.

Just being real.
True it's colder but it's not brutally cold where it would deter people from moving there. I met lots of people from southern states and California and they all got along fine there.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:20 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Just being real.
I agree. I grew up an hour north of Philly and live in Dallas now. Even though Philly is fairly mild by northeastern standards, it will still be an adjustment for someone from the South. Dallas's winter is like an extended late Oct-Nov in Philly. You can even have days in the 50s in May in PA. Factor in less sunshine, more cloudy & rainy days (although not nearly as bad as Seattle). My vote still goes to Philly btw.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I wouldn't consider winters there even remotely bad. I'm from the New England area and also lived in NYC for 12 years followed by a bit over a year just outside of Philadelphia (10 minutes outside specifically). Philly averages just 15" of snow a year which is nothing. It also misses a lot of the big blizzards that hit the NYC area which is only about an hour and a half away. I also lived there the year of some so called big blizzard which only left a few inches on the ground and people were freaking out. Funnily enough my fiancee would always joke about the winter there is nothing compared to NYC and I would joke that NYC winter is nothing compared to New England lol.

Anyway, OP if you don't like rain/gloom you wouldn't like Portland cause outside of summer months (which are amazing) that is mostly what it will be. I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of Portland and I think this year from October through the end of April we averaged 5 days a week of rain. If you can deal with that then it's one of the most beautiful areas of the country and also an amazing beer scene there. Never been to San Diego though I always heard it has some of the best weather in the country.
I don't consider them bad either. I grew up in Chicago which gets pretty bad although not as bad as New England. The reason I said if she can handle the Philly winters was because the other cities she mentioned have much milder weather in the winter.

I lived in Portland for decades so I would also tell her to be prepared for mainly overcast skies. I liked them because I am not one who likes sunshine a whole lot. But if she does, San Diego would be the best choice. Me, personally, I would still pick Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.