Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornandbeans View Post
Thanks, I guess I can't expect you to personally speak to it more than that. Well done.
No problem, thanks for being open minded about it as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM

9 posts, read 35,659 times
Considering NC (barely) went blue in '08 and helped elect out first black president, it may not be totally teaming with racist yahoos. I'd bet that some just get a kick out of the mischief flying the stars and bars causes because it makes people like me feel a bit itchy. But I'd also bet that displaying it publicly will fade out over time. I can imagine that once that flag was a reminder of the South's more prosperous past, and now, ironically, as the South has well and truly risen again and (at least) gained economic and political parity with the rest of the country, some probably see it as a means of preserving Southern heritage in the face of a constant influx of Northern transplants.

But sensibilities change, demographics change, perspectives change. Here in central Illinois we used to have a ball team (in Pekin or Peoria I think, but don't hold me to it) called the Chinks. Such a thing would be unimaginable today, which is why major league teams with allusions to ethnic slurs in their names and school mascots based on offensive stereotypes are fading away. Probably so will the stars and bars, once it reaches a point where even in the South it makes more people feel uncomfortable than proud.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,271 times
Quote:
These two parts of the country are generally acknowledged to be the most down-to-earth, bread-and-butter, faith/family/country oriented areas (although, with migration patterns from north to south, that all is changing gradually). But how are they different from one another? What makes the south different from the midwest--religiously, politically, culturally, etc.?

Is southern hospitality different from midwestern hospitality? Is one more friendly than the other? How are attitudes and lifestyles different? What makes each region more attractive than the other?
I've been thru parts of the midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri, Wisconsin)

and I have to say that based on my personal experience, the midwest was less hospitiable. I found the rust corridor to be less culturally diverse as well, with Chicago being the exception.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
The DixieCrats are mostly all republican'ts these days... except Mary L.
And me and a host of other Okies!

We're supposedly the "Reddest of the Red" states.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 35,659 times
Do Okies see themselves as Southerners or Westerners primarily? I had them figured as rugged plaines state conservative rather than Dixiecrats, but this may be a misread.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielarry View Post
Do Okies see themselves as Southerners or Westerners primarily? I had them figured as rugged plaines state conservative rather than Dixiecrats, but this may be a misread.
Really a combination of those two (Southern/Western mix) rolled into one.

I think many folks forget (or maybe don't know) that Oklahoma has more registered Dems than Repubs, but we're so socially conservative we almost always vote Repub....at least in national elections.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 16,771 times
Don't Okie ranchers use public land for grazing?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why is the south always affiliated with back-stabbing??? That is a issue worldwide.

When someone in the south is being nice to you; it's not called being fake. It's called manners. Southerners have no problem speaking their minds; we just try to refrain from drama and fights unlike people in the north who seem to love it.

People in the north walk around as if they have a chip on they shoulder and always trying to prove something.
Sounds a lot like SEC football to me.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Never, but northerners are more aggressive than southerns.
It's almost like you've never been to the north.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not in my personal experience. After living both North and South, I have found Southerners to be far more aggressive.

If you don't think that is true, all one has to do is look through the North/South threads right here on C-D and take notice of when the thread degrades into a bitchfest. Usually it is right after somebody in the South starts making accusations and comments about the North without having any personal experience living up North.
You are a reasonable person, Bydand, and I respect your opinions. So -- without presuming to answer for Jluke (but definitely agreeing with him) -- that might be an interesting "project". That is, get a hard figure on just which "bunch" it is -- regionally speaking -- are the ones who are more likely to initate threads, and/or post comments which contain the most insulting/negative/stereotypical comments about the other.

You speak of your own experience and reading. I understand that. We are all products of our own experiences and biases relative to the same. So to speak my piece, it seems to be mostly northerners who are far more likely spit out (in one form or fashion) a basic disdain/contempt for the South.

The ones who have never been to the South are bad enough (full of the blissfully ignorant myths of a horrid lynching, netherworld), but the ones who move down here, live down here, reap the milk and honey, yet never connect the dots of where they came from and why they are where they are, are the worst.

Bottom line is, and I will place a bet on it. If we really could tally it up, it would be, by far, the northerers outnumbering Southerners as to just who sparks the "bitchfest"

Just to say also, I think it is very telling that black Southerners are very often the staunchest partisans of the South today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.