Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times

Advertisements

Uh, in all this debate about the Adirondacks, why hasn't anyone noted that they're not closer to NYC than they are to Boston? Google Maps shows 4 hours 13 minutes from Boston to Adirondack Park, and 4 hours 10 minutes from NYC to Adirondack Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 AM

149 posts, read 153,974 times
Because people have no idea what they're talking about.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Same. Of the two choices given, I favor New York, but I'd choose Philly.
Agreed. Philadelphia beats them both.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalentedDrinker View Post
Is this a joke?

You ever heard of the Adirondacks? They're larger than anything on the East Coast. You can fit New Hampshire in the Adirondacks.

Honestly, it's so annoying how underrated they are on here. It almost pisses me off how oblivious people are.

New Yorkers and Jerseyans go to the Catskills and Adirondacks. I would know. I rent my cabin to them constantly.
I clearly meant size of the individual mountains. Which is accurate, the only mountains comparable to the Whites are the Smokies.
Also I'm not saying that New Yorkers don't vacation in NYS but they also go to those "Boston" destinations quite commonly while the reverse isn't true.
I've been to the Adirondacks, I've been to Letchworth and Chimney Bluffs etc because I live in Rochester but nobody from New England vacations in New York while New England destinations are full of New Yorkers and people from other mod atlamtic states. That says something about the quality of the New England destinations that someone from Harrisburg will drive through the Catskills to go to the NH lakes.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I clearly meant size of the individual mountains. Which is accurate, the only mountains comparable to the Whites are the Smokies.
Also I'm not saying that New Yorkers don't vacation in NYS but they also go to those "Boston" destinations quite commonly while the reverse isn't true.
I've been to the Adirondacks, I've been to Letchworth and Chimney Bluffs etc because I live in Rochester but nobody from New England vacations in New York while New England destinations are full of New Yorkers and people from other mod atlamtic states. That says something about the quality of the New England destinations that someone from Harrisburg will drive through the Catskills to go to the NH lakes.

I'm pretty sure you mean that New Hampshire doesn't compare with North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._New_Hampshire

Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you mean that New Hampshire doesn't compare with North Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...North_Carolina

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._New_Hampshire
If you look at the prominace of the mountains the Smokies and Black Mountains base elevation is around 1000 feet (Winston-Salem is not in the Mountains and has an elevation of 980 ft). While the Whites have a base elevation closer to 400 feet. Thus a 6,000 foot mountain in NH has the same climb as a 6,600 foot mountain in NC.

Also would you like to refute the fact that people from the mid-atlantic vacation in New England while the reverse is much more rare.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
If you look at the prominace of the mountains the Smokies and Black Mountains base elevation is around 1000 feet (Winston-Salem is not in the Mountains and has an elevation of 980 ft). While the Whites have a base elevation closer to 400 feet. Thus a 6,000 foot mountain in NH has the same climb as a 6,600 foot mountain in NC.

Also would you like to refute the fact that people from the mid-atlantic vacation in New England while the reverse is much more rare.

That is pure anecdotal conjecture and not quantifiable.

In my experience, people from NYC and NJ camp in the Poconos, Catskills and Adirondacks. All I see are NJ plates and that is all I rent to.

I have a really hard time believing they drive 3-4 hours further to camp in New Hampshire.

http://www.peaklist.org/USmaps/newenglandsummits.gif

Old 05-09-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
That is pure anecdotal conjecture and not quantifiable.

In my experience, people from NYC and NJ camp in the Poconos, Catskills and Adirondacks. All I see are NJ plates.

I have a hard time believing they drive 3-4 hours further to camp in New Hampshire.
Exactly my point. People from Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Rhode Island don't go to the Catskills, Jersey Shore or Poconos, which is why its all tri-staters. If you take the Bourne Bridge to Cape Cod its full of NY/NJ Plates. The Lakes Region of New Hampshire is full of NY/NJ/Ontario/Quebec Plates along with New England States. Downeast Maine is the same way.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM

You can literally fit NH in the Adirondacks. The part of NH with the tallest peaks is in the northern most part of the state and a small area.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point. People from Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Rhode Island don't go to the Catskills, Jersey Shore or Poconos, which is why its all tri-staters. If you take the Bourne Bridge to Cape Cod its full of NY/NJ Plates. The Lakes Region of New Hampshire is full of NY/NJ/Ontario/Quebec Plates along with New England States. Downeast Maine is the same way.

You're trying to suggest that New England has superior vacation spots, because NY/NJ people travel there, which is pretty ridiculous.

The NY/NJ area has 20 million people. 20 million people escaping the metro is going to cover a massive area.

Are you aware of how crowded the Jersey Shore gets in the summer?

Sounds to me like they try different spots to avoid crowds, not because it's necessarily better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.