Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 AM

32 posts, read 33,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you have any proof of that I would love to see it. Plus a listing of actual numbers.

I read somewhere that Colonial Williamsburgh has about 80 or so original colonial buildings while Schenectady and Kingston in Upstate New York have about 40 each. Or is that just in their stockade districts? I don't remember. There are probably other cities with large concentrations of colonial buildings.

Anyway, if you going to mention Boston and Philadelphia, you should also mention the city between them, which has more historic landmarks then any other. New York has entire neighborhoods with hundreds of buildings that were built in the late 1800s and earlier.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...y-hill/533028/

More:

Society Hill - Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia

https://www.veryapt.com/guides/neigh...-society-hill/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:07 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I worked at Colonial Williamsburg, they have 88 original buildings.
Colonial Williamsburg is a museum.

Society Hill is a real live neighborhood in a real live city. No hours. No admissions.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
... that's close to bankruptcy

Colonial Williamsburg to restructure in face of financial problems

Old 07-15-2017, 07:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If you have any proof of that I would love to see it. Plus a listing of actual numbers.

I read somewhere that Colonial Williamsburgh has about 80 or so original colonial buildings while Schenectady and Kingston in Upstate New York have about 40 each. Or is that just in their stockade districts? I don't remember. There are probably other cities with large concentrations of colonial buildings.

Anyway, if you going to mention Boston and Philadelphia, you should also mention the city between them, which has more historic landmarks then any other. New York has entire neighborhoods with hundreds of buildings that were built in the late 1800s and earlier.
I have heard and seen it referenced many times; would expect at least 200 structures in Society hill and Old city alone, most or residences today

exert from the NY Times below:

In most cities they would be treasure enough. In Philadelphia, where there is so much history that some people say the city still doesn't know what to do with it all, they are simply five of hundreds of Colonial structures that make the oldest 50-block section of downtown Philadelphia perhaps the nation's liveliest physical expression of Colonial America.
Like the downtown sections of other Northeastern cities, downtown Philadelphia is enjoying a boom in modern construction. But here, much else of what looks new is actually the product of an extensive renovation and restoration of old, historic homes and other structures.
This rehabilitation is proceeding unabated. On Society Hill, a living, breathing community an easy walk from where young Franklin debarked, ''rehabbing'' has produced what is believed to be the largest concentration of restored 18th-century buildings in the United States. Most of them are just as fully occupied, and in as good condition, as they were before 1800. The traveler who has not been to Philadelphia in some time is frequently dazzled by the display, a fact that the city's tourist industry is vigorously attempting to exploit.

ABOUT PHILADELPHIA - BUILDINGS FRANKLIN MIGHT HAVE FELT AT HOME IN SHINE IN EVERYDAY USE - NYTimes.com

Philadelphia’s Society Hill is a delightful, historic neighborhood, containing the largest concentration of 18th and early 19th century structures in the country. Unlike Beacon Hill in Boston or Charleston’s Battery, it also contains a remarkable amount of unapologetic Modernism. This is not the result of an accident but a precise plan, one which produced a result that doesn’t quite exist anywhere else in the United States.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/...y-hill/533028/

Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 AM

Also remember that at the time of the revolution Philadelphia was the largest city in the US, Society Hill is the original Philadelphia. Directly north or South were the cities of Southwark (Queen Village, I lived for a while in a row house in QV built in 1793 seven blocks south of what was the city border at the time) and Northern Liberties also both among the ten largest cities in the country at the time.

Boston and NYC have a lot but honestly to me it feels like a larger collection in Society Hill expanded to me and definitely larger than Charleston based on my time there (Love Charleston and the collection is at the very extremely impressive and love the slight variant of colonial stock)

maybe it is the row house nature that was maintained that led to the hundreds of building still existing today, not sure

NYC then catapulted past Philly in the 1800s but during this time Philly was actually a bit larger

Old 07-15-2017, 07:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr5MKMEPU3E

Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Society Hill is a real live neighborhood in a real live city. No hours. No admissions.

Yes, although there are people who live in the historic buildings. You can walk the area at any time and there are many buildings where no admission is required.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Acoma - Sky City, NM
Taos Pueblo, NM
(Two of the oldest inhabited communities in the U.S. ~1,000 years)
Santa Fe, NM (1610)
Taos Pueblo and Acoma are not cities, though.

Sky City at Acoma has 30 residents. The architecturally preserved part of Taos Pueblo houses a dozen or so. Most resident of these pueblos live in 20th century structures and even the pueblos as a whole are barely village sized with fewer than 5,000 members, many of whom live in Albuquerque, Santa Fe and widely scattered around the area of their pueblos.

Santa Fe definitely fits the criteria of this topic, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That is a shame since Colonial Williamsburg is a national historical treasure.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yes, although there are people who live in the historic buildings.
Yes, indeed. Here's a humorous take on that:5 Insane Realities Of My Life In A Fake Colonial Town

Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also remember that at the time of the revolution Philadelphia was the largest city in the US, Society Hill is the original Philadelphia. Directly north or South were the cities of Southwark (Queen Village, I lived for a while in a row house in QV built in 1793 seven blocks south of what was the city border at the time) and Northern Liberties also both among the ten largest cities in the country at the time.

Boston and NYC have a lot but honestly to me it feels like a larger collection in Society Hill expanded to me and definitely larger than Charleston based on my time there (Love Charleston and the collection is at the very extremely impressive and love the slight variant of colonial stock)

maybe it is the row house nature that was maintained that led to the hundreds of building still existing today, not sure

NYC then catapulted past Philly in the 1800s but during this time Philly was actually a bit larger
not to mention Philly was geographically cohesive, while Boston was almost a bunch of disconnected peninsulas, with Boston, Charlestown and Dorchester heights being all basically independent of each other, while Philly was all put together geographically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.