Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM

369 posts, read 1,639,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
you have some real geniuses voting on this...boston>philly have different counts.....wtf?
Don't you love how NYC has more votes than Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM

246 posts, read 873,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Baltimore and DC are both part of the northeast corridor although they are part of the Mid-Atlantic just like Boston and Hartford are part of it but also part of New England. This debate has been done to death on here.
Try telling that to someone north of Delaware. Most up here feel the south starts at Maryland. Anything Virginia and south is the "Deep South."

Old 03-26-2008, 10:46 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Don't you love how NYC has more votes than Providence.
Proabably people who don't know where Providence is.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee784 View Post
Try telling that to someone north of Delaware. Most up here feel the south starts at Maryland. Anything Virginia and south is the "Deep South."
Where is "up here" exactly?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
I'm originally from eastern Pennsylvania and lived for nearly 8 years in south central PA, and the urban parts of Maryland and northern Virginia don't feel like the South to me. (Actually with Maryland, the more rural parts of the state north and/or west of Baltimore and Washington aren't like the South either.)

Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
I think it's funny how defensive people get about Pittsburgh not being labeled "Midwest". There's an underlying suggestion that there's something inferior about that label.

That said, there's no way Pittsburgh is Northeast. It's a completely different culture. Somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania the Midwest begins. Perhaps being in Appalachia it's not completely St. Louis-Detroit-Chicago Midwest, but it's well on it's way. I've driven that route alot from Washington, DC to Detroit. When I stop in Pittsburgh for gas and to eat, let's just say it's always a culture shock to remember what middle America is like. Seriously - it's like I've entered another country after being immersed in DC.

The argument that quaint Victorian brownstones make Pittsburgh Northeast would therefore make Chicago Northeast as well. Obviously, it's not.

Cleveland is fully entrenched in the Midwest - geographically, economically. culturally. I can't believe how many votes it got. Must be from people out West who don't know the region very well.

Baltimore's always been that East Coast city holding down the industrial Midwest vibe. The Chesapeake Bay serves as a sort of mini Great Lake in the way the Great Lakes built so many Midwestern cities in the U.S. and Canada. Baltimore's fate has been very similar to the Midwestern cities - with extravagantly wealthy suburbs to the north and an extravagantly impoverished city. But, by location alone, it can't be denied. People can say what they want, but there is a strong cultural line south of DC that begins the South. DC and Baltimore are fully connected to the Northeast. Baltimore for its industrial history and DC for its government power structure that creates a far stronger link to New York than any Southern city.

Last edited by Bluefly; 03-27-2008 at 03:25 AM..

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Virginia is not the Deep South, are you kidding me? The Deep South defines those states which seceded immediately upon the Dred Scott case. that would include Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina are usually defined as the Upper South, along with Kentucky, which even though it was a border state during the Civil War, is unmistakably Southern today.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I quoted John Kennedy earlier, I'll have to just paraphrase now.
"Washington, DC has all the charm a northern city and all the efficiency of a southern city". Even that long ago, it had its feet planted in both camps.

And Bluefly, the fact that Pittsburgh's culture is different from that of Boston is no different than Boston's being different from Philadelphia's. Of course each city has a different culture. As you said of Baltimore I will say of Pittsburgh: "by its location it cannot be denied". It's in Pennsylvania.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think it's funny how defensive people get about Pittsburgh not being labeled "Midwest". There's an underlying suggestion that there's something inferior about that label.

That said, there's no way Pittsburgh is Northeast. It's a completely different culture. Somewhere in the middle of Pennsylvania the Midwest begins. Perhaps being in Appalachia it's not completely St. Louis-Detroit-Chicago Midwest, but it's well on it's way. I've driven that route alot from Washington, DC to Detroit. When I stop in Pittsburgh for gas and to eat, let's just say it's always a culture shock to remember what middle America is like. Seriously - it's like I've entered another country after being immersed in DC.

The argument that quaint Victorian brownstones make Pittsburgh Northeast would therefore make Chicago Northeast as well. Obviously, it's not.

Cleveland is fully entrenched in the Midwest - geographically, economically. culturally. I can't believe how many votes it got. Must be from people out West who don't know the region very well.

Baltimore's always been that East Coast city holding down the industrial Midwest vibe. The Chesapeake Bay serves as a sort of mini Great Lake in the way the Great Lakes built so many Midwestern cities in the U.S. and Canada. Baltimore's fate has been very similar to the Midwestern cities - with extravagantly wealthy suburbs to the north and an extravagantly impoverished city. But, by location alone, it can't be denied. People can say what they want, but there is a strong cultural line south of DC that begins the South. DC and Baltimore are fully connected to the Northeast. Baltimore for its industrial history and DC for its government power structure that creates a far stronger link to New York than any Southern city.
If Balto & DC are Northeastern, then they are the *least* Northeastern, if you look at their cultural history. Both were strictly segregated racially up to only 40-50 years ago. Unlike the other NE'n cities, they bought into Jim Crow.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:10 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
state boundaries are insignificant. You can't just say Pittsburgh has to be northeastern because it's in PA.

That being said the first 5 on the list are unquestionably northeast. I often like to claim that Staten Island isn't really the northeast but clearly it is, and so is Jersey and Philly.

Baltimore is the next one to be questioned, along with DC. I'd say it ISN'T the northeast but I see where the arguments are.

Pittsburgh is definitely less northeast than Baltimore or DC even. Sure if you look at a map it's in the northeast quadrant of the country but we all know that is meaningless. Pittsburgh seems to be much more tied to Ohio cities and cities like Buffalo and Rochester than to Philly or NYC.

Boston and Philly have more in common than Boston and Pittsburgh. I think that's a weird comparsion. If you wanted to make a point it'd make a whole lot more sense to compare Philadelphia to both.

Another point I feel compelled to make is the intense discussion of Pittsburgh on this website. I'll plead ignorance because before going on this website my knowledge or Pittsburgh consisted of it's sports teams and that it has something to do with steel. But based on it's sports teams and that something to do with steel it sounds a lot like it might as well be in Ohio. Along with Houston and North Carolina, Pittsburgh is a pretty random place that gets a ton of hype on this website. Someday I'd love to go there because it must be a pretty cool place but until then I'll just stay in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.