Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are these 11 cities each North or South?
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the North 108 67.92%
Kansas City, Mo. - It's in the South 23 14.47%
Saint Louis - It's in the North 110 69.18%
Saint Louis - It's in the South 25 15.72%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the North 59 37.11%
Cairo, Illinois - It's in the South 66 41.51%
Louisville - It's in the North 18 11.32%
Louisville - It's in the South 125 78.62%
Cincinnati - It's in the North 118 74.21%
Cincinnati - It's in the South 18 11.32%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the North 21 13.21%
Charleston, West Virginia - It's in the South 115 72.33%
Pittsburgh - It's in the North 138 86.79%
Pittsburgh - It's in the South 1 0.63%
Northern Virginia - It's in the North 81 50.94%
Northern Virginia - It's in the South 61 38.36%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the North 109 68.55%
Washington, D.C. - It's in the South 38 23.90%
Baltimore - It's in the North 113 71.07%
Baltimore - It's in the South 30 18.87%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the North 122 76.73%
Wilmington, Delaware - It's in the South 9 5.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
It's only partially Southern. Southern West Virginia is Southern, but northern West Virginia is not.
What's the dividing line? Coal extraction vs. heavy industry? Mountain town vs. River town?

Is Huntington North or South?

Apparently Charleston is Southern according to the poll, but Huntington's history is similar to Pittsburgh. Is Huntington Northern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 01:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I don't really get Northern Virginia being almost tied (with Southern inching ahead). It's so heavily influenced by DC and is the lower point of the Northeast Corridor. While it may be in a southern state, it's culturally northern IMO because it's a part of the NE Corridor.
It doesn't make sense that DC is considered Northern but NOVA is leaning Southern. Do people even realize NOVA is part of the DC metro? Maybe 20+ years ago you could make a case for NOVA being Southern but today it has more in common with Boston than it does a true Southern area such as Alabama.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It doesn't make sense that DC is considered Northern but NOVA is leaning Southern. Do people even realize NOVA is part of the DC metro? Maybe 20+ years ago you could make a case for NOVA being Southern but today it has more in common with Boston than it does a true Southern area such as Alabama.
NoVa is far more similar to Raleigh-Durham than Boston. In fact, it’s probably more similar to Raleigh-Durham than it is to King of Prussia.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:50 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Good luck telling someone from Fairfax that. I have a feeling that will be a very short conversation
Southern has a ban connotation so a lot of people try to associate themselves with the North.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:07 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NoVa is far more similar to Raleigh-Durham than Boston. In fact, it’s probably more similar to Raleigh-Durham than it is to King of Prussia.
My job has an office in the Raleigh area and I couldn't disagree more, they're honestly two completely different areas. Different people, different culture, different politics. There's nothing wrong with Raleigh, when I visit I like it, it's a pretty laid back area but I would say it has very little in common with NoVa.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:09 AM

841 posts, read 825,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
With trembling hand...
Is Cairo still even a city? I haven't been through Little Egypt for quite a while but it was mostly on the skids and fading away last time I was down there.
I haven't been there since my grandmother (from southern Illinois) passed away in 2008, but it was practically a ghost town at that time. Such a shame with so much historical significance. The whole Little Egypt area is impoverished and depressing to see. I voted for Cairo as a southern city based on my relatives there and in extreme western Kentucky seeming much more southern than northern. But it's certainly a crossroads area. Cairo prides itself on its large Southern Magnolias that rival those farther south.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
My job has an office in the Raleigh area and I couldn't disagree more, they're honestly two completely different areas. Different people, different culture, different politics. There's nothing wrong with Raleigh, when I visit I like it, it's a pretty laid back area but I would say it has very little in common with NoVa.
The politics aren’t all that different. Hillary won Wake County, NC by 20 points.

I’m not saying Northern Virginia is just like Raleigh, but it’s absurd to say that NoVa is more like Boston.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
The politics aren’t all that different. Hillary won Wake County, NC by 20 points.

I’m not saying Northern Virginia is just like Raleigh, but it’s absurd to say that NoVa is more like Boston.
Yes, it's ironic, the Boston people think NOVA is south, the NOVANs disagree, and many POV in between. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People are silly, Northern Virginia is the south.

People are choosing wrong because they are comparing NOVA to MD/PA/DE/NJ. All places significantly changed by the Great Migration between 1900-1930 (and then 1939-1945) which brought many aspects of Southern Culture to the Northern States. So the only reason they think its Northern is because they are comparing it to a region of the North that was diluted by Southerners the two generations before the Southward Migration of the last 50 years.

Compared to New England NOVA is much more like the Deep South.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's notable that JFK once said "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/j...kennedy_143149

Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, it's ironic, the Boston people think NOVA is south, the NOVANs disagree, and many POV in between. See below:

It's notable that JFK once said "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/j...kennedy_143149
Haha, that's so tragically true. I'm not surprised NOVA is the most controversial one on here.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
In a modern world that thinks binary (one extreme or the other), many times we have matters that are blends and mixtures (analog). If we really want to get clearer, we have to abandon the extremes and bring in those nuances that make all the difference.

I'm not sure how that would be tackled here, but in limiting the choices to extremes, we're only complicating the discussion. For example, two locations here called "north" may be nothing alike. And yet, both are north, and assumed to be similar.
CD'ers are notoriously binary. This is a fruitless exercise simply because the majority of posters here refuse to recognize that a place can be two things at the same time, even if to different lengths...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I continue to be mystified at anyone who asserts WV isn't southern. One of the more perplexing CD angles. "All of it isn't southern". Okay, neither is all of Maryland northern. So what?

WV is a southern state, I'm not sure where the big debate lies...

Quote:
I just visited Boston in January for the first time. Boston and The District have some resemblances, but I saw nothing in Boston that reminded me of Northern Virginia. And I'm from Northern Virginia. And similarities notwithstanding, there are some stark contrasts between The District and Boston as well...

Nova isn't Alabama but since you're into noting extremes, it isn't Massachusetts, either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Southern has a ban connotation so a lot of people try to associate themselves with the North.
Alot of you northerners are to blame for this, because at least online here, you guys perpetuate stereotypes if the South, and show an unwillingness to accept the multilayered complexities of places. The South in 2018 is largely mot the same South of 1968. You and others have helped keep the "bad connotations" alive...

Quote:
I will agree that NoVa and RDU have some differences that can't be ignored. I also think there are some strong physical resemblances. To me, the differences are certainly greater than the similarities, but I push back against a thought that they are "completely" different...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.