Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

Trashing of both cities and states is due to a number of factors, but a lot of them foolish.

I see ignorance and assumption of areas (where the commenting person has never seen) to be a major factor here. The other one is veiled jealousy over areas that are superior, but the person doesn't want to admit it. Such as if another area is doing better economically and is bringing in a lot of business, but is culturally or regionally very different (such as a north vs. south thing), you'll see that stuff.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-22-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Since it's the most segrated city, that would make a little difference.

ehh does it...
Thre are poor neighborhoods in every neighborhoon. They don't tell you LA is very segregated between Brown & Black, but it more segregated than Boston, but ini Boston its a white divider.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:28 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Austin gets trashed. Check out any city vs city thread they are in and you will see people hate Austin with a passion.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:33 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Most cities crime problem is criminal on criminal regardless of color. Random crime is usually drug addicts looking to find something for their next score.
Agree 100% crime problems are based on criminal activity not race. Whether your city is segregated or "diverse" the crime problems are similar if not the same. Just because a city isn't ranked "One of the Most Dangerous Cities in America" doesn't mean the crime problem isn't there. As you said, people think that LA. is very diverse when in fact it's segregated same with NYC and Boston.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Agree 100% crime problems are based on criminal activity not race. Whether your city is segregated or "diverse" the crime problems are similar if not the same. Just because a city isn't ranked "One of the Most Dangerous Cities in America" doesn't mean the crime problem isn't there. As you said, people think that LA. is very diverse when in fact it's segregated same with NYC and Boston.
Diversity and segregation are not mutually exclusive. LA can be more diverse and more segregated than most places.

In face it’s almost a prerequisite, if a place is homogenous it can’t be segregated.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Every one has said to me here on CD that all cities get trashed and dissed and not only my city (Cleveland). But, it does seem as if some cities get trashed more than others not only on CD but in the media, social media and online. Is that true or false?
I can see what you mean. As someone who has ranked metro areas since the 80's, I do enjoy seeing different individuals input on C-D about something I've had an interest in since I was a boy. But one of the things that has surprised me over the years about C-D is the level to which some on here base their opinions on single sources, stereotypes, personal biases, tv/movie impressions, etc., things that a serious student of Geography/Demographics wouldn't do. I personally love the Cleveland/Akron area and have a real soft spot for it. It took a big hit in the 70's/80's, but it has so much to work with that I definitely believe it's on the upswing. Some of the nicest people I've met around American have been in and around Cleveland.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I think they trash the homeless, cause in San Francisco, Portland and Seattle it's like WTF???
Quote:
do people call them dangerous?
Yes, many do. I do. Not homeless people per se but panhandlers who are often homeless or appear to be homeless. In my later years in Portland, I dreaded going downtown to work and having to run the panhandlers gauntlet. Some were very aggressive and threatening. One time the cops had to stop and interfere with a guy who was shaking his fist in my face demanding money and screaming at me. Clearly on drugs. Fortunately for me the cops were driving by at the moment.

Most homeless are not considered dangerous but some will use people's backyards as toilets and those on drugs as places to shoot up. About ten years ago a couple downtown parks were a site for homeless camps. Battles erupted into the streets the times when the police tried to remove them. They are gone now but it was a dangerous situation situation when people trying to travel to and from work or school got caught in the middle. That never made national Media reports.

Friends in Seattle had the similar concerns. Not familiar with San Francisco so can't say.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:22 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
The only time my city doesn't get trashed is when folks are too busy trashing some other city they forget about mine.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,869,333 times
I've NEVER, EVER had a street person shake their fist or yell at me. I walk in Downtown Seattle at least 750 times per year, and have for decades.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
as long as you acknowledge Antifa is a gang
No, but I do acknowledge that I somehow typed “their” when I meant to type “there”. Basically that’s unforgivable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.