Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a neighborhood bar within walking distance of your house?
Yes 74 73.27%
No 27 26.73%
I live in Utah 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:30 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
PS, the US doesn't have the English pub culture. Few people go to a bar at lunch, and the number heading for happy hour after work is much smaller. The pub doesn't have the same place near home either. It's more like what the English say England is moving toward, vs. what it was say 20 years ago.
The pub is important to English life that the Conservative government legislated laws to protect them from being converted to other uses. A lot of them are also heritage-protected so they can never be demolished.

The UK government has also legislated the Agent of Change law, which makes the developers responsible for noise issues if they decide to build housing near music venues. So if the music venue (whether it's bar with live music, a nightclub, or a pub) was there first and then new houses were built in the area, the developer must ensure that the homes are soundproof. It gives the music venue protection from complaints by residents as the responsibility lies with the developer and not the music venue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
PS, the US doesn't have the English pub culture. Few people go to a bar at lunch, and the number heading for happy hour after work is much smaller. The pub doesn't have the same place near home either. It's more like what the English say England is moving toward, vs. what it was say 20 years ago.
No, I just checked the map and the nearest restaurant/bar is 3.2 miles away.

There's definitely a pub type culture in the US. It's usually associated with blue collar workers, but working in an office doesn't disqualify people from participating.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To everything there is a season, I guess. I just don't personally find them to be appealing, either at distance or up close. A "neighborhood bar" would DEFINITELY lower property values in my neighborhood.
New builds in my neighborhood go for over $2M. 5000 square feet of dirt is about $800-900K if you want to buy an old house and tear it down. The walkability has a lot to do with the allure. People pay a lot more to live here than they do in the burbs where you have to drive everywhere.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:57 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,985,076 times
Quote:
In my state, any full bar has to serve food at a similar volume, so really the bars are a lot of restaurants.
Interesting. I didn’t know that or even know that was a thing. Can the bar be in a separate room than the restaurant so that it doesn’t feel like you’re in a restaurant? I wonder what other states are like that?

In LA I’d guess that most bars are also restaurants to one degree or another, but we have lots that are just bars or breweries.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
To everything there is a season, I guess. I just don't personally find them to be appealing, either at distance or up close. A "neighborhood bar" would DEFINITELY lower property values in my neighborhood.
What? Walkable nightlife increases property value if anything.

Here in Brooklyn all property is expensive and there are bars everywhere.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:11 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
The US definitely has a bar culture, many people go out at least once a weekend, often both Friday and Saturday.

I usually go out 2 to 3 nights per week.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
No, but considering I am a Independent Fundamental Baptist living in the Deep South, I don't exactly consider it a minus. ;0)

Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Lots near me too. But I'd guess in a city this size and this dense, it would probably be harder to find an area without a few neighborhood bars you could walk to -- though I guess they may exist in some of the further out semi-suburban parts of the boroughs.
Are there any bars on say Roosevelt Island?

Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Yeah, a couple. However, my dive of choice is a little further down the road 2.5 miles or so. Down the road about 2.5 mils in a different direction there is a "Entertainment District" with a few dozen bars, restaurants etc and I've definitely walked home from there when my phone died so I couldn't order a lyft lol

Old 10-27-2018, 04:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:

Actually it's about living near one, not in one. I'm on a fringe of Downtown Seattle but my specific location is quiet, thankfully. The best situation is having bars a couple blocks away, in multiple directions.
We've got an English Pub. They like to close the street down and host block parties . The World Cup was fun this year.
Home - Three Lions Pub

This one closes the street down for Packers block parties.

https://www.campbarmke.com/shorewood

This is the closest to us.

Draft & Vessel

We have several others but every town needs one of these.
http://www.hubbardparkbeergarden.com/

Or two.
http://www.estabrookbeergarden.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.