Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
NY, of course.
LA, of course.
New Orleans
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
And if that hypothetical tourist comes back for a second five-cities visit,

Portland, Maine
Chicago
Miami
San Antonio
San Francisco

Last edited by NW4me; 11-30-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 12:32 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
New York
Chicago
LA
Seattle
Atlanta

Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Good topic and good question

I'll say these 5--tough choice though:

1) Denver, CO: Wide open western views, rocky mountain views, dynamic growing city with a strong history of the cowboy and gateway to the west.

2) Indianapolis, IN: Great midwestern, middle sized yet bigger city. Not too rough, not too safe, not too diverse, not too cultured, not uncultured, good middle of the road experience.

3) Birmingham, AL: Southern style on display in a mid-sized city.

4) Pittsburgh, PA: Northeastern historical manufacturing/steel city that helped build the US. Dynamic, digital city that is becoming diverse. Good lower key city.

5) San Diego, CA: California style right by the dynamic and beautiful Pacific Ocean. Big city, but not LA or San Fran proportions. Good city to see that is less bustling yet growing. Good Cali culture.

Also, I'd say they should add in 5 national parks on this trip--and it should be a road trip between the cities for like 2 weeks-3 weeks if they could.

I'd add in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Hot Springs.

This is a great list of looking at the more mainstream USA cities compared to the media view of life revolving around NY, LA, and Chicago.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:

Portland, Maine
Chicago
Miami
San Antonio
San Francisco
I really like both lists, still well known cities by American standards, a few of them with very little international exposure.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default and another!

Quote:
NY, of course.
LA, of course.
New Orleans
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
Quote:
Portland, Maine
Chicago
Miami
San Antonio
San Francisco
third-visit itinerary:
Washington, DC
Atlanta
Madison, Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle

Old 12-17-2018, 01:20 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, and Atlanta.

Northeast, West, Midwest, Gulf Coast, and Upper South all covered.

Who needs Florida when you have Houston, a Texas city with Florida weather?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:22 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, and Atlanta.

Northeast, West, Midwest, Gulf Coast, and Upper South all covered.

Who needs Florida when you have Houston, a Texas city with Florida weather?
Houston is not like White Sands and soaring palms of coastal Florida or the high-rise to skyscrapers living you can find. No hurricane-proof newer housing I've seen in Ft Lauderdale, Orange groves, the Everglades, DisneyWorld ...... the last goes on.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Houston is not like White Sands and soaring palms of coastal Florida or the high-rise to skyscrapers living you can find. No hurricane-proof newer housing I've seen in Ft Lauderdale, Orange groves, the Everglades, DisneyWorld ...... the last goes on.
Chill DavePa, they were talking about the weather not the list of other things you mentioned.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:01 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, you had to ask! I don't know how to "best" represent the US. Most of us live in urban areas as defined by the census bureau, that is, cities and their suburbs. I think suburban is more representative than the cities in that most people in an urban area live in the burbs.

So, maybe . . .
Suburban DC, e.g. this Crystal City where Amazon is going in
Suburban Chicago-Naperville which is often named on of American's "best places".
Suburban Denver-of course, my suburb, Louisville, Colorado. (Has also been ranked #1 several times by "Money" magazine)
Some Texas city/suburb
Suburban LA. I'm not real familiar with its burbs except for Pasadena, and that's pretty upscale.

Five isn't very many for the whole US. Ten would probably be easier.
I'll help with the suburban LA part: come to Irvine, CA! A city just as well-planned, clean, efficient, and highly ranked in education and economy as Singapore!

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Chill DavePa, they were talking about the weather not the list of other things you mentioned.
But my comment was on Houston like Florida.... for more tropical Texas its further west like Corpus Christi ..... I just never likened Houston to Florida to weather or look or attributes. But still definately a warmer climate then most of the US. It still gets a brown winter..... and just added my 2-cents. Florida gets its own class in distinction .... IMHO. As Texans like for their state too.

I've heard coastal Texas called the poor-mans Florida .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.