Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times

Advertisements

What cities do you think have potential to have the brightest future? I would actually pick Atlanta. Many on this board have mentioned that Atlanta will become the next Detroit, but I actually think its going to get better in the long run. There are many new developments being built such as the Midtown Mile and Streets of Buckhead, and the Beltine project is currently in the process. It just needs to expand the public transit more.

Chicago is another city that has had many achievements recently, and could continue to improve in the next decade, especially if they host the 2016 Olympics. Seattle is another city where the future looks good, and maybe Portland and Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Proooooooo'duuuuuuunce Rhodisland

Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What cities do you think have potential to have the brightest future? I would actually pick Atlanta. Many on this board have mentioned that Atlanta will become the next Detroit, but I actually think its going to get better in the long run. There are many new developments being built such as the Midtown Mile and Streets of Buckhead, and the Beltine project is currently in the process. It just needs to expand the public transit more.

Chicago is another city that has had many achievements recently, and could continue to improve in the next decade, especially if they host the 2016 Olympics. Seattle is another city where the future looks good, and maybe Portland and Denver.
Chicago, Seattle, Portland...pretty much there, I think. Great cities.
Atlanta could be an amazing city...it's got beautiful neighborhoods, great weather, close to mountains and beach. Politics, local and state, is its' biggest problem...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:35 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
(Possibly) Hosting the Olympics could help Chicago focus it's renovations, much like the '84 games in L.A. (L.A. actually became livable during the games). All of the cities listed are pretty much already there as far as being nice.
As long as Atlanta doesn't suffer from "White-Flight" or too many under-qualified people who couldn't make it in their own small town and look to a location to solve all of their problems, it'll probably improve the most. But the humidity is an issue. Also the water shortages.(A more California mindset dealing with water could help) It's in a good possition to become the capital of the South.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 PM

166 posts, read 705,398 times
I read an article not long ago about what some scientists will think the effects of climate change will have on certain parts of the country 50-75 years from now. They said that both the Southwest and Southeast will become much more dry as well as even more hot. If this is true, then I would predict that cities in the Northeast and Northwest will have a brighter future.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Chicago, Seattle, Portland...pretty much there, I think. Great cities.
Atlanta could be an amazing city...it's got beautiful neighborhoods, great weather, close to mountains and beach. Politics, local and state, is its' biggest problem...
close to the beach? How far is ATL from the ocean or are you talking about lakes? I could definitely see there being some beautiful lakes around Atlanta and it seems like a naturally beautiful setting for sure but it sure isn't close to any ocean

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
close to the beach? How far is ATL from the ocean or are you talking about lakes? I could definitely see there being some beautiful lakes around Atlanta and it seems like a naturally beautiful setting for sure but it sure isn't close to any ocean
Atlanta is only 3-4 hours from the ocean, which can be done in a days trip. Sure its not right by the beach like Los Angeles or Miami, but it's not the middle of Kansas either.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,520 times
3-4 hours? Any drive over 2 hours requires a flight. 3-4 hours? That's the same drive as L.A. to Vegas.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Everyone knows I will say Omaha, and I've given more than enough reasons to annoy all of you.

So my other choices will be Des Moines, which has a very powerful economy and job market along with good schools and 4 seasons

Chicago, which is going through amazing revitalization with the probable Olympics and the Chicago Spire being the biggest ones.

New York City will continue its growth with several new towers plus the World Trade Center.

And San Francisco which has the Trans Bay terminal being added along with tons of other skyscrapers.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:50 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Madrid and Tokyo are actually supposed to be in the lead for the 2016 Olympics. Those two had the highest bid scores. There's only a 1 in 4 chance that the Olympics will even come to the US.

Anyway, I'm going to say:
-Atlanta (I agree that it's in good position to become the unofficial capital of the south)
-Tampa (they're supposed to have one of the fastest growing economies over the next decade)
-NYC (they've experienced a huge come-back since 9/11)
-Los Angeles (I hopeful that, now that prices are coming down, the middle class will be able to come back, restoring balance)
-Seattle (it's becoming quite the economic hotspot)
-Houston (the fact that it's one of the few booming cities that's actually on a coast works in its favor)
-Chicago (if they do get the Olympics - although I'm actually not so certain that it would make a significant difference).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.