Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Quick answer : That's a common myth we have Hollywood to thank for. Part of Texas is part of the desert southwest. You have to keep in mind the state is vast --El Paso is almost as close to Phoenix, Arizona as it is to Houston, I think-- and the terrain changes. Texas has seven eco-regions. TPWD Kids: Texas Regions I grew up in the Piney Woods region and now live in the Gulf Coast. Houston is large and has elements of both - roughly Piney Woods in the northern half and Gulf Coast in the southern half. Additionally, the western half of Texas isn't nearly as populated as the eastern half, so all those Hollywood movies depicting Texas as a vast desert wasteland are laughable at best, considering most Texans don't live in the western part of the state.
Thanks for the info. +1 repped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Only the SE third of AR is flat. The rest of the state is quite "mountainous."
The eastern third of Arkansas is flat, but only another third is the Ozarks. The other third in the southwest, is flat-to-rolling hills type stuff. I think they do a lot of logging down there.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Iowa (although I think Iowa is more gently rolling hills)
Yes, Southern Iowa does have rolling hills, and that continues into parts of Eastern Iowa. i-80 actually goes through a very hilly section of Iowa land.. but when you go North of 80, about 1/3rd of the state REALLY is flat. (I don't think this is a bad thing, I think it's pretty.)

Here is a pic just North of metro Des Moines.

This next one is in grundy county just west of Waterloo... more of the rolling hill look to it.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,113 times
Nebraska isn't that flat is it?

These pics are from all over the state.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Nebraska isn't that flat is it?

These pics are from all over the state.
Everyone one of those pictures makes me want to do another road trip around Nebraska - one of the best vacations I had... start planning.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:02 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Even eastern Washington is flat, barren, and unattractive.

The following is a link to photos I posted of areas around Central Texas, post #78. Texas is rather pretty in some areas.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/rural...ictures-8.html

Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Florida is the flatest state i would presume.

but other than that i would say kansas

Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Put it this way. The states that, IMO, have the most flat areas are IL, TX, FL, KS, IN, LA, AL and OK. But even those states (minus FL) have very hilly areas. TX has mountains in far western portions and Hill Country. IL has the NW corner, portions of the central area and the southern 1/3rd of the state that are very hilly. KS has the Flint Hills and even mostly flat Oklahoma has several beautiful mountain ranges (yes, MOUNTAINS). Southern Indiana is also gorgeous, especially Brown County. Heck, even Alabama has some gorgeous mountains. But overall, most of those states are majority flat. Outside of Florida, I havent been to a single state that is entirely flat, that just doesnt happen. Even vaunted mountainous places like California and Colorado have flat, boring wastelands, too. Especially Colorado! Even Nevada and New Mexico have places that make Kansas seem mountainous! lol
No even then TX still isn't really considered a flat state. Many people think the hills/mountians are only confined to West Texas and Hill country, but you got hills in North Texas, Central Texas, and East Texas as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Pennsylvania is the least flat state I have ever been in, NY is second.

Parts of Nebraska is very flat (along I-80), but Omaha is quite hilly, especially the farther east you go in the city towards the MO. River. Even though the I-80 corridor is flat, the elevation goes up as you travel west. It was interesting to watch it on the GPS this last trip out. Omaha is about 1200 ft. Ogallala (sp?) is about 3300. So you are traveling imperceptibly UP.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Put it this way. The states that, IMO, have the most flat areas are IL, TX, FL, KS, IN, LA, AL and OK.
How does AL keep coming up. AL and GA have to be two of the hilliest places I've ever been in the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.