Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times

Advertisements

From what I can pick up the BAILOUT did not pass

206 For

208 against

Hat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Boo-hoo...the zillionaires won't get bailed out by the taxpayers.

Good....screw them.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:51 PM

57 posts, read 123,290 times
Carney voted NO!!!!!

Kanjorski Voted Yes

Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM

835 posts, read 1,322,209 times
Thank God it failed....
3 Nobel Peace Prize winners and several of the leading economic gurus have said the bill is rushing and you can't rush this bailout plan....this was from an interview on CNN this morning.
The biggest reason most Republicans and some Democrats didn't support the bill is they were not told what would happen if they didn't....and they were not allowed to explore other options or solutions and their constituents don’t like the bill..
All that opposed this bill did the work of the people as the majority of Taxpayers are not for bailing out Asia, Japan and Europe for their investment in our country. Why should we bail out foreign countries? Do they give us money when they profit...NO! Who is going to bailout my RothIRA that has lost 20% or my kid’s college funds that are down 15%? Investments and the market are not a guarantee they are a risk...some are a greater risk than others and you have to ride the high tide with the low tide....we are at low tide and the market is still above 10k how are we in dire need. Last quarter’s lending was up 7%....we have banks like JP Morgan Chase and Wells Fargo that can put money into the economy why do we need to use taxpayers....to not change TheSarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 while giving 700bn just guarantees that we will be here again with our children and their money from their jobs. Heads need to roll, committee chairs must step down from congress and CEO’s need to go to prison….none of this was in the bill….WHY? I can't believe I am going to quote Chris Matthews as I loathe Chris Matthews...although he too opposed the bailout...."All newspapers need to take out a two page spread with every check written by congress for this bailout...we need to see who it is for and why....it is after all our money and we have a right to know".
To all those members of congress that voted against this bill THANK YOU and please hold steady to you NAY vote in your private vote!

Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
I'm glad they voted it down. It was bad news and was probably going to make a bad situation worse.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:20 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Why is this a surprise? The majority of Americans don't want it and are letting their representatives hear just that.

Why did so many dems vote for it?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

620 posts, read 2,055,740 times
This is wonderful news. Thanks Hat for being the first person to tell me. These are the kind of surprises that I love. I hope more of the members of the House and Senate wake up over the coming days and weeks regarding this bailout plan so that there is no chance of it ever passing when it inevitably comes up again.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:59 PM

106,642 posts, read 108,790,719 times
IS EVERY ONE CHECKING THEIR 201K'S AT WORK?????????????

phew almost a 700 point drop today.....

Old 09-29-2008, 02:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
But the banker big shots "already bailed" with their big buyout pensions..........
So who is left holding the little sums that are left?
I'm with Math, this is hitting my 401K to drastically. And yours? This is your retirement.
I don't know why people would want the markets to crash.
I'm not saying the paperwork is worded exactly right..........
But if the banks all fold, you know it means no credit for homes, cars, and all the things your use to in life.
This is the market that pays your salary, that pays your mortgage........
The biggest closing point drop in history. This is a bad day for all of our American families........
I see no cause for celebration, in the least.
I have gas ration coupons and grocery tickets from the 1930 crash ( collected over time).........
This is very serious, a deal needs to be made..........money has to be freed up.
I have been watching this all day, because this is not good for me, and not good for you.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
But the banker big shots "already bailed" with their big buyout pensions..........
So who is left holding the little sums that are left?
I'm with Math, this is hitting my 401K to drastically. And yours? This is your retirement.
I don't know why people would want the markets to crash.
I'm not saying the paperwork is worded exactly right..........
But if the banks all fold, you know it means no credit for homes, cars, and all the things your use to in life.
This is the market that pays your salary, that pays your mortgage........
The biggest closing point drop in history. This is a bad day for all of our American families........
I see no cause for celebration, in the least.
I have gas ration coupons and grocery tickets from the 1930 crash ( collected over time).........
This is very serious, a deal needs to be made..........money has to be freed up.
I have been watching this all day, because this is not good for me, and not good for you.
It's scary no matter which way we look at it!! My partner has his accounts in WaMu, mine in Wachovia....both being taken over....I think the safest place for money right now is inside our mattresses or in the cookie jar!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.