Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Charlotte is definitely quite image-conscious. Not the people, but the city itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 07:31 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Meaning...?
meaning that the lavish liftstyle and/or projection of it is a part of each cities image and is pretty ingrained into the culture. Miami was always a location for rich New Yorkers to show off their beach house etc.. and with Hollywood, LA always needed be home to the "lifestyles of the rich & famous".

Old 03-20-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
meaning that the lavish liftstyle and/or projection of it is a part of each cities image and is pretty ingrained into the culture. Miami was always a location for rich New Yorkers to show off their beach house etc.. and with Hollywood, LA always needed be home to the "lifestyles of the rich & famous".
Gotcha. It just seemed like you were merely stating the obvious by saying image consciousness was characteristic of those cities.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Citizens- generally Dallas and other Texas cities
City - most southern cities
I wouldnt call Houston, Fort Worth, or San Antonio image conscious in the slightest.

Dallas and Atlanta definitely are.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Yes, agree about the Miami professional class being more like NYC—more grounded.

Professional class drives its share of exotic cars too, some with a “stable” of them —friends at Four Seasons Residences and elsewhere drive their Bugatti, McLaren, and even Maserati (equivalent of a Volkswagen in some parts of Miami), with the difference being you would never know unless you pass them on the street. They tend not to brag or wear their wealth / price tag on their sleeves. Also, many successful Latinos came from countries where they were used to downplaying their wealth to prevent from becoming a kidnap target—so they have some humility (with a tad of paranoia) built into their DNA.

Russians here tend to be a tad more flamboyant along with the poseur and “The Situation” nightclub crowd which represents a small percentage of Miami, that includes a lot of wannabe Vegas-like (what happens here stays here) tourists. Then there were the idiots, mostly out of towners/spring breakers, partying it up like it was NYE on the beaches up until yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I can understand that Miami's professional class is less likely to be showy, if only because they're less likely to be involved with the entertainment and media industries that are more common in LA. It's when we look at both cities as a whole that I find Miami to be the more pretentious place.

Some of it may be influenced by South Florida's Latin Caribbean base as opposed to SoCal's larger population of Mexicans, who are known to be a bit more laid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Miami's professional class is more in tune with that of NYC. The professional class, for the most part, isn't show-offish at all in Miami, and you're likely to find them driving a Prius (MAYBE a TESLA) or a Ford F-150 as opposed to a Maserati or some other "exotic" vehicle.
Those certainly aren't the ones I was talking about.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-20-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 09:13 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Also, many successful Latinos came from countries where they were used to downplaying their wealth to prevent from becoming a kidnap target—so they have some humility (with a tad of paranoia) built into their DNA
Compared to the wealthy Mexican nationals in the West and Texas, that hasn't been my experience at all. While their kids would look the part, these were some of the most ordinary looking rich people I've ever seen

Also, you're kind of helping to prove our point with your earlier statement by pointing out your Bugatti and McLaren having friends. A certain high degree of image consciousness is required to buy cars such as those. You also made sure we read that these people were friends of yours.

But a lot of excessively image conscious people may not be so appealing as themselves, so they'll compensate for that in other ways. I see this every day all over Miami.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:52 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
That really wasn’t my point.. it was to point out how they are quite humble and accessible—not snooty and standoffish (or phony $50,000/year multimillionaires )...had I wished to gloat about myself I would have shared or listed MY material possessions, which I did not. It was to point out that many / most of these people who own these vehicles or live great lifestyles are quite down to earth, even if they don’t drive a VW bug or Prius (you would never know how well off they are from talking to them). I happen to be friendly with a few because my gym happens to be in their building and we know one another from working out and/or having a beer afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Compared to the wealthy Mexican nationals in the West and Texas, that hasn't been my experience at all. While their kids would look the part, these were some of the most ordinary looking rich people I've ever seen

Also, you're kind of helping to prove our point with your earlier statement by pointing out your Bugatti and McLaren having friends. A certain high degree of image consciousness is required to buy cars such as those. You also made sure we read that these people were friends of yours.

But a lot of excessively image conscious people may not be so appealing as themselves, so they'll compensate for that in other ways. I see this every day all over Miami.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-20-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I wouldnt call Houston, Fort Worth, or San Antonio image conscious in the slightest.

Dallas and Atlanta definitely are.
I'd also say Austin is image conscious, but in the whole "Keep Austin Weird" kind of way and not in the way we typically mean with most cities that have been mentioned.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:38 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
"beauty enhances an experience."

Here's my list:

Scottsdale, AZ
Palm Beach, FL
Newport Beach, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Naples, FL
I know I pulled this from awhile ago, but this list is right on, having just come from Naples a week ago and growing up in So. California. I would throw in Highland Park Dallas for good measure, and maybe some of Long Island NY.

Naples in the winter is ridiculous with the main drag full of Ferraris and Bentleys and the sidewalks full of well dressed older folks who have "made it" and wear all the designer labels. Sooo image conscious, almost repelling to be honest.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:28 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That really wasn’t my point.. it was to point out how they are quite humble and accessible—not snooty and standoffish (or phony $50,000/year multimillionaires )...had I wished to gloat about myself I would have shared or listed MY material possessions, which I did not. It was to point out that many / most of these people who own these vehicles or live great lifestyles are quite down to earth, even if they don’t drive a VW bug or Prius (you would never know how well off they are from talking to them). I happen to be friendly with a few because my gym happens to be in their building and we know one another from working out and/or having a beer afterwards.
I understand that wasn't your point, but I'm saying you're contradicting yourself just a little. You're not establishing any real difference between Miami and those prototypical Californians you mentioned that go around name dropping expensive items. Not that this refers to elchevere specifically since this is the internet after all and I don't know who you really are.

When we talk about narcissism and being image obsessed, people tend to limit it to physical appearance and demeanor à la the Kardashians, but it could instead be the subjectively down to earth guy that still drives a luxury automobile. Or it could be the guy that doesn't care about high end brands at all, but looks down on anyone not an expert in his career field. Pound for pound I find Miami to be a worse offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.