Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times

Advertisements

There is no east coast san diego. Sure, there are many cities near the ocean, but that is only one feature that San Diego has. To me, the mountains and the desert, both found in abundance in San Diego county, are as much a part of living there as the ocean. Also, proximity to Mexico gives it a similar feel to some its neighborhing southwestern border cities that are hundreds of miles from the ocean. The southern california vibe and climate also make it stand out from many cities that share similar landscapes. Bottom line: San Diego is unique, and other cities that share some of its attributes are going to feel like different cities, plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
San Diego is and has been an expensive area for decades. I believe it is 2nd only to the Boston area in its cost of living. As far as cities on the east coast that are similar, it would have to be one of the coastal Florida cities. It would have to be a stretch of the imagination to compare them to San Diego, but really I don't think there is anything else. Perhaps Tampa/St Pete and Sarasota. Ft Lauderdale/Miami area. Like I said one would still have to stretch their imagination on the comparison.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM

217 posts, read 961,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Mostly Mexican culture and SoCal media pops culture of superficiality and materialism.
I don't think I like that way of life!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:51 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Tidewater maybe, full of Navy and other military. On the ocean with lots of beach access. The difference being people can swim in the east coast beaches because the water is warm unlike SD.

Other than that the comparison ends. SD is just like much of SoCal culturally which is not very appealing.
I was thinking the same thing......

Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
There is no east coast san diego. Sure, there are many cities near the ocean, but that is only one feature that San Diego has. To me, the mountains and the desert, both found in abundance in San Diego county, are as much a part of living there as the ocean. Also, proximity to Mexico gives it a similar feel to some its neighborhing southwestern border cities that are hundreds of miles from the ocean. The southern california vibe and climate also make it stand out from many cities that share similar landscapes. Bottom line: San Diego is unique, and other cities that share some of its attributes are going to feel like different cities, plain and simple.
Also, SD is way laid back and you can't get that in rush rush,'where-do-you-work', 15 hour work day East Coast. My DH never wore a suit, could take off for family/personal time without question or discipline, and everyone got their jobs done in good time, not to impress someone. Its a much healthier way to live.
SD is also not LA-none of the fake body part stuff. Its Military familes and Conservatives in Congress. The Beach area itself has a lot of spoiled rich kids who party all the time, but the 'burbs are Conservative.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Tidewater maybe, full of Navy and other military. On the ocean with lots of beach access. The difference being people can swim in the east coast beaches because the water is warm unlike SD.

Other than that the comparison ends. SD is just like much of SoCal culturally which is not very appealing.
Actually people swim in the water here during summer as it get into the 70's. And no SD is not just some carbon copy of LA/OC.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Mostly Mexican culture and SoCal media pops culture of superficiality and materialism.
Have you ever actually lived here? It's more beach/surfer culture. That whole stupid SoCal stereotype BS you have going on in your head is exactly that, BS. You obviously have some chip on your shoulder with regards to SoCal, but most San Diegan's are nice and pretty down to earth.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Goozer pretty much nails it here. One of the great things about San Diego is that it is unique. Really, that is probably a defining feature of all great cities. There are aspects to life in San Diego that can be found elsewhere, but nothing that combines it all, not even close. Probably the best chance in finding something similar on the East coast lies in nautical tradition. I'd recommend Newport RI, or Hampton Roads, VA, for example.

Charleston, SC might approach some of what appeals about San Diego, too, in terms of the beaches and harbor orientation. Plus there is a noticeable minority cultural influence there, along the lines of the Mexican influence in San Diego. It is different, because it is the culture derived from plantation slave society, but it is very similiar in that it is associated with subjugated physical labor. The more I think about it, the more I think that may be the closest match.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
If anyone names any city in Florida, consider it an insult to SD.

I lived and worked in various parts of the SD metro for a total of 7 years and there is no place like it.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM

330 posts, read 877,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
If anyone names any city in Florida, consider it an insult to SD.

I lived and worked in various parts of the SD metro for a total of 7 years and there is no place like it.
It depends. South Florida has clear blue warm tropical waters and sand that can't be beat. True tropcial feel versus the mediteranean feel of SD. But SD has the mountains and the cooler weather that adds value that Florida cannot compete with. SD is the next cloest thing to Hawaii in the mainland, but it still aint no Hawaii.

And Florida has its advantages that SD can't touch. So you cannot say it's an insult to compare Florida to SD just as it's not an insult to compare SD to Florida.

If the beach was my top priority and playing in the surf and tropical heat, then Florida would be an easy decision. If scenery with mountains with a backdrop of a cool water tempearture ocean was my priority then SD would be an easy decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.