Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times

Advertisements

[quote=Hollywood Inquirer;10324686]you just totally ratted yourself out. I guess your one of those people here on city-data cause you hardly have a good reflection of what L.A. (an area) is like.[/QUOTE

Mine is a subjective impression of LA. I do not like LA and do not view it as being like San Diego (or vice versa). That is different than people claiming no one can make a living in San Diego which is just plain nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,340,819 times
I think San Diego is unique. Really no place like it.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:27 PM

543 posts, read 3,077,345 times
Quote:
City Data forums are full of people with hidden agendas...
...like what?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
I'll go with Fort Lauderdale with all of its waterways ,its wealth beautiful surroundings,palm trees,modern architecture and clean air . Doesn't have the hills and mountains like San Diego but definitely would be the closest city on the east coast to match.Possibly Palm Beach also.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
...like what?
Some people do not like a city for whatever reason, many times it's personal problems rather than an actual problem with the city itself, and then try to make it sound like the worst place on earth so others will not like it. They try to bring it down b/c they can't stand when others like the place. There is one troll in particular that does this with San Diego and creates new accounts constantly to do so with his rolling IP address.

Here is an example of what I am talking about with the SD troll, this is a direct message the psycho left me after I called him out on his trolling and BS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwarts124
LEAVE ME ALONE STOP BOTHERING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES IF I HATE SAN DIEGO i GONNA KEEP ATTACKING CITY DATA FORUM UNTIL EVERYONE HATES SAN DIEGO.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM

32 posts, read 67,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Encinitas, Carlsbad, Del Mar area are full of families, professionals, businessmen, etc. City Data forums are full of people with hidden agendas, broken dreams, poor decision-makers, etc. and are harldy a decent reflection of what any area is like.
I agree with you. I lived in Carlsbad until I got laid off from Sony (back when recession got hit).
While I worked at Sony and Husband was in a close to minimum wage job and we were making it fine. I think that has been the best place I have lived so far in San Diego. It was awesome. I lived in 1 br apartment with a nice yard (I really mean it, not little patio but a good size yard) with our dog. Carlsbad is an awesome community. It is not super close to San Diego Downtown but it has many things to offer, plus in North county (before Oceanside) most of people are professionals and the area is safe and clean. All of this from my personal experience, leave it or take it.

Other area I liked was Golden Hill - this one 5 mins from Downtown SD. It was good too, you just had to make sure you lived before 25th street.. further than that gets a bit sketchy. Also just before getting into downtown there are a couple of blocks where homeless people hang out. I did not see it dangerous but I did not walk it often. That area was close enough to Downtown, Balboa Park, Airport and all amenities need without the pricing of living in the heart of San Diego. With that being said, it was not uber luxurious or luxurious at all.. but was a quiet neighborhood, good enough for my taste.

Anyway, going back to the main topic. Yikes.. it is hard to compare San Diego to other cities.. specially because of the weather. I would only compare the weather to Barcelona, Spain.. but that is way too far hehe... other than that, I guess we are only left with Californian cities at best. Also, it is difficult to compare when you have the desert to the east in less than an hour, the mountains to the northeast and obviously the beach soaking (freezing.. I know) your toes.

I do LOVE love my San Diego, however, I do need a change.. so most likely when I move away I will want to come back

You cannot compare San Diego, I would say you might as well upgrade: Hawaii or a nice mediterranean city in Europe Again, personal point of view and not very objective bc of my <3 for SD

Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Recently went on a business trip to San Diego- loved it! I know nothing can compare to San Diego, especially its weather, but is there any city on the east coast similar to SD in terms of geography, lifestyle, people, ambiance, etc.?
There is NOTHING like San Diego on the East Coast. The East Coast is a totally different place.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
The only place which resembles it on a CURSORY level is Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Palm Beach, but the topography and micro-climates are different. When Miami was cheaper, it was picking up some San Diego people.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The only place which resembles it on a CURSORY level is Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Palm Beach, but the topography and micro-climates are different. When Miami was cheaper, it was picking up some San Diego people.
If you're talking about the money, perhaps. Other than that, you have a point there, a point I've made as well. San Diego and the Miami area are two totally different areas. San Diego is a military city. Miami isn't. Miami is very humid, the Everglades are nearby, and it is a flat place. San Diego is relatively hilly, mild, dry, and has more desert. To be honest, there isn't anything like San Diego anywhere in the world.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
There ia no place like San Diego! It is totally unique in its culture, food, scenery, activities,etc.
I would live there if I could
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.