Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better to live and raise kids?
Boulder, colorado area 25 51.02%
Suburb of Portland, oregon. 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 PM

107 posts, read 451,850 times

Advertisements

Where do you think overall would be a better place to live and raise a family? In Colorado we would be looking in the Boulder area and in Portland a suburb called West linn.
We are currently living in Las vegas and just cant stand the rush, fast paced work your butt off attitude anymore. We want more family time and less concern with money.
If you have been to either of these two places. why do you vote one or another. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 10:30 PM

353 posts, read 504,092 times
Well, metro Denver is by far much, much more family friendlly than most anywhere in metro Portland. I'm not so sure about Boulder, though. Why don't you look at Littleton, Lakewood, Centennial, Highlands Ranch, etc. in Denver? Boulder is just not much of a family town--certainly not much into family values. Try Denver.

You should also know that just about everywhere in America these days is about working your butt off. That's every bit as true for Denver and Portland and Pittsburgh as it is for Vegas. (Though, truth be told, I definitely can't blame you for wanting to leave Vegas. I would NEVER live there).

I guess a lot of it depends on what it is you're looking for in a city, what you can afford, and what you family is like. Portland would work for some certain sorts of folks and Denver works for the exact opposite sort of people.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
I've been to Boulder before and it's a great place to hang your hat. Very family friends, many young couples and a pretty good education system. I don't think you could go wrong with either though. I personally think Boulder has the better scenery and weather. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Agree with SpeedyAZ. Boulder has a rep, because of CU, of being a town of drunken college kids. They are in the minority and they mostly live close together near campus. The rest of Boulder is pretty family oriented. The schools are excellent. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and IMO, Highlands Ranch is over-rated and suburbia USA! I don't know much about Portland, only was there once. It's pretty.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Agree with SpeedyAZ. Boulder has a rep, because of CU, of being a town of drunken college kids. They are in the minority and they mostly live close together near campus. The rest of Boulder is pretty family oriented. The schools are excellent. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and IMO, Highlands Ranch is over-rated and suburbia USA! I don't know much about Portland, only was there once. It's pretty.
There's nothing wrong with suburbia--and Highlands Ranch. That is Americana pure and simple! Good ammenities for families, good schools, good churches, etc.

I think with how expensive Boulder is, the weirdness of the town, the college, the hippies, the severe lack of family values, how hard it is to find a job there, and the high taxes make Boulder an aweful choice. But Portland is pretty much the same way. So it's really the better of two evils...

I would just choose suburban Denver--which is everything Boulder is NOT--and call it good.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:21 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times
Portland and its suburbs (including West Linn)are nice,BUT you have to be able to handle a GREAT amount of grey,clouds,chill and constant rain/drizzle.It is not unusual to have this go on for months and it does affect some people a great deal(I used to live there),but summer is great.The schools in Portland and surrounding areas have really gone down hill,lack of funding.Not sure about West Linn schools,but overall,Oregon is suprisingly poor scholasticaly(wasnt always like that)

Old 05-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Portland and its suburbs (including West Linn)are nice,BUT you have to be able to handle a GREAT amount of grey,clouds,chill and constant rain/drizzle.It is not unusual to have this go on for months and it does affect some people a great deal(I used to live there),but summer is great.The schools in Portland and surrounding areas have really gone down hill,lack of funding.Not sure about West Linn schools,but overall,Oregon is suprisingly poor scholasticaly(wasnt always like that)

When I was there PDX schools actually held class for four days a week due to lack of funding for about a month or so. Can you believe that? Parents were really upset, as you can imagine.

They did a study on Portland's schools--though I forget where I saw this--and it talked about how so few PDX couples are having children that schools are emptying out. A lot of these families are sort of liberal, seize the day, San Francisco type couples who just aren't into family life much. If you're a liberal single I think PDX would be fine. But families? I wouldn't do it.

The problem for the OP is that Boulder is basically the same way--just a much smaller town. It's a college town and it's sort of a fancy-pants liberal sort of place--not terribly family-geared. What makes Boulder different is that, unlike Portland, it is surrounded by a state that is extremely family-oriented. Portland is a very blue city in a very blue state. Boulder is a small blue dot in a family values-type red state. If I were the OP I felt the necessity to be close to Boulder I would probably just move to suburban Denver within commuting distance of Boulder. Broomfield, Westminster, Arvada, and maybe Louisville are all good options.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Rawlings, do you remember what Mike from Back East said about red state/blue state crap? (His words) Just because you are on a different forum, doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Back to the topic. Lots of people are raising families in Boulder. The school system is not falling apart. In fact, Fairview and Boulder Highs, much as it pains me to acknowledge this, are highly rated schools. 5A schools, which means they have pretty large student bodies, larger than Monarch (Louisville) or Broomfield Highs.

If the OP chooses Colorado, s/he should take a look around and find a place to the family's liking, not yours or mine.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Rawlings, do you remember what Mike from Back East said about red state/blue state crap? (His words) Just because you are on a different forum, doesn't mean the same rules don't apply.

Back to the topic. Lots of people are raising families in Boulder. The school system is not falling apart. In fact, Fairview and Boulder Highs, much as it pains me to acknowledge this, are highly rated schools. 5A schools, which means they have pretty large student bodies, larger than Monarch (Louisville) or Broomfield Highs.

If the OP chooses Colorado, s/he should take a look around and find a place to the family's liking, not yours or mine.
I think they're both bad choices--and a lot of that has to do with the cultural environments prevailing in both cities. That's totally legit. I'm I were the OP I wouldn't even flinch: pick neither, choose Denver.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM

107 posts, read 451,850 times
Default More about our family....

we would most likely look at broomfield, lafayette or maybe the fort collins area. We would also consider the Denver area.
In Portland we will be in the West linn area. It looks like the schools are very highly rated. My husband is a physician and we have three kids.
It really depends were the job market is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.