Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This subject brings out the worst in people I'm afraid. But unforunately it also draws a few readers from the South who promote militias & secession from the North. Maybe the reason why some people in the South [and it is a very small number of people btw] hate the West is that racism is absolutedly abhorred here. The reaction from a state heavily populated with Asian\ Latinos\ liberals is immediately negative. The backlash against the Republican party is that they don't insist that their base reject racism\ homophobia. It's not a California rejection but rather an American rejection from all states toward a hateful group of uneducated people.
This subject has nothing to do with what you believe to be militias or secession, so I don't know why you would even drag such an irrelevant statement into this discussion.

And why drag race into it? If there was really a huge movement in the South to crusade against Hispanics, they could start in Miami-Dade County a bit closer to home before worrying about the West Coast.

Most people that hate California (in any region of the country, not sure why you like to drag out make believe Southernisms) A) Associate it with the fast paced, spoiled urban yuppie lifestyle of New York and the Northeast or B) Are New Yorkers bitter about the relevance of cities such as Los Angeles and San Francisco, and probably a bit jealous of the weather as well

Myself, I don't particularly care for California and wouldn't move there, but I don't hate it, and I would choose anywhere in California over NYC and the Northeast.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
California gets alot of heat from the rest of the country because it is so different. Where I live people joke about wacky people going to California to "find themselves". At the mention of California things like drugs, counterculture, messed up celebretys come to mind. We think liberal politics, political correctness, and the permissive society. I live in Michigan and around here all of those things are considered a very negative thing. For example here we do not see gay men holding hands in public, we do not see that many tatooed and pierced people. Alot of people who feel the need to express themselves like that, well they move to California. Half of California is made up of people born in the midwest or the south who didnt quite fit in back home. I dont think it is a hatred of California as the OP stated, but just a sense of it being very different. The last time I was in California, it felt well very foriegn to me. Having lived in the midwest all my life California is a bit of a shock. I think alot of people feel that way when they go there, if they are from the midwest, south or any other rural area. Remember California dishes out the stereotypes about other regions as well. How many TV shows/movies depict the midwest as dull, with dull people. How many show southerners as backward hicks? How about the recent MTV show Jersey Shore??? Do you think the people of the northeast were really happy about how that show depicted them? California has been stereotyped heavily, but with the power of Hollywood they have also pushed at least as many regional stereotypes about other regions.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
California gets alot of heat from the rest of the country because it is so different. Where I live people joke about wacky people going to California to "find themselves". At the mention of California things like drugs, counterculture, messed up celebretys come to mind. We think liberal politics, political correctness, and the permissive society. I live in Michigan and around here all of those things are considered a very negative thing. For example here we do not see gay men holding hands in public, we do not see that many tatooed and pierced people. Alot of people who feel the need to express themselves like that, well they move to California. Half of California is made up of people born in the midwest or the south who didnt quite fit in back home. I dont think it is a hatred of California as the OP stated, but just a sense of it being very different. The last time I was in California, it felt well very foriegn to me. Having lived in the midwest all my life California is a bit of a shock. I think alot of people feel that way when they go there, if they are from the midwest, south or any other rural area. Remember California dishes out the stereotypes about other regions as well. How many TV shows/movies depict the midwest as dull, with dull people. How many show southerners as backward hicks? How about the recent MTV show Jersey Shore??? Do you think the people of the northeast were really happy about how that show depicted them? California has been stereotyped heavily, but with the power of Hollywood they have also pushed at least as many regional stereotypes about other regions.
The Italian-American organizations voiced outrage!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:40 PM

92 posts, read 351,379 times
It's not just southerners who hate Californians.

It's also people from the Pacific Northwest states, such as Washington State and Oregon who really really dislike Californians.

The one reason is the way they act and behave, bringing their California "attitude" with them whereever they move to.

They have a tendency to have a selfish "me me me" attitude. They build houses whereever they want to. Even if it blocks the view of another neighbor.

I also hate the way they drive. It's mainly the ones from L.A. who drive very aggressively, tailgate you, drive with their highbeams on to **** other drivers off, etc. Heck, even if the adjacent lane is empty and the car behind you could pass you by, that jerk still tailgates you.

Californians, esp the L.A. area, are too politically correct. It's so annoying how they like to make a lot of denials when people debate with them.

california is just one hell of a messed up state with clowns in Sacramento.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
I was born and raised in Appalachia (not Southern or Northern - it is it's own thing), and moved to the Atlanta area 25+ years ago.

While Atlanta like any large city is composed mostly of transplants and is pretty far removed from "Southern", in some of the burbs and far-out areas you're definitely in the South. I don't think the correct wording would be that Southerners "hate" Californians, so much as the fact that my observations are that Southerners... REAL Southerners... could technically I think be called somewhat "Xenophobic" in nature.

That's not meant as an insult, but just as the best technical word I can think of at 2am to describe it - Appalachians are somewhat like this too, but the results are a little different when certain conditions are tossed at them. For example, in Appalachia, the mentality is more quiet, inverted, almost hermited towards outside things they don't like. More of a, "If it leaves me alone, I'll leave it alone", mentality. In the South, it's more like, "If I don't like it, I'm going to get rid of it, or at least let it know I don't like it", mentality. At least, more publicly verbal when it comes to things they don't like or approve of. It might come across as statements that appear racist, hateful, judgmental, etc. Sometimes they may be, but many times they're not really - just people verbalizing how they disapprove of a region's differences compared to their own belief systems, and you do find more folks here who have the thought that their belief system is the only "correct" one, and others have faults and are wrong.

That's a generalization and of course there are tons of Southerners who don't feel that way, and hey, there are Southerners who MOVE to California (or gasp.. New York City!) all the time. I think it's just that they tend to verbalize their disapproval of "all things different" here that makes it appear as though they "hate" things.

And remember - this is a hotbed topic, so please keep it civil.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:09 AM

648 posts, read 1,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This subject brings out the worst in people I'm afraid. But unforunately it also draws a few readers from the South who promote militias & secession from the North. Maybe the reason why some people in the South [and it is a very small number of people btw] hate the West is that racism is absolutedly abhorred here. The reaction from a state heavily populated with Asian\ Latinos\ liberals is immediately negative. The backlash against the Republican party is that they don't insist that their base reject racism\ homophobia. It's not a California rejection but rather an American rejection from all states toward a hateful group of uneducated people.
Your generalizations of Republicans is starting to get annoying. I hope you know that the majority of the wealthy, the American ELITE, are Republicans... the people with better jobs and better educations (try Harvard and Columbia) than you.

Anyway, California is not hated. I am sure many people in this country can not find California or even their own state on a map. Many people on this web site only hate it because Los Angeles is too sprawling. And it is common sense to think that California, with the obvious exception of truly urban San Francisco, would get a lot of heat on this site. This is a city based web site, and most people here are obviously going to be "city slickers."

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 04-17-2010 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 09:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Well, this Southerner certainly doesn't hate it. Some of my favorite people in the world live there, and I'm very fortunate to make it out there (L.A. area) at least 2-3 times a year

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Your generalizations of Republicans is starting to get annoying. I hope you know that the majority of the wealthy, the American ELITE, are Republicans... the people with better jobs and better educations (try Harvard and Columbia) than you.

Anyway, California is not hated. I am sure many people in this country can not find California or even their own state on a map. Many people on this web site only hate it because Los Angeles is too sprawling. And it is common sense to think that California, with the obvious exception of truly urban San Francisco, would get a lot of heat on this site. This is a city based web site, and most people here are obviously going to be "city slickers."
You couldn't be more wrong & seem to hold onto beliefs that support your denial that the GOP is the party of the South. A Republican at any American university is immediately aware of how much of a minority they are & the smart ones keep their political beliefs to themselves if they hope to have any friends The only colleges in the U.S. that could be considered "safe" for Republicans would be religious schools like Liberty\ Bob Jones\ Oral Roberts. That's why Republicans always attack the universities as liberal bastions. Do yourself a favor & "educate" yourself about who are considered the Republican base: white uneducated rural types. The wealthy for the most part are college educated & very uncomfortable being identified with the Republican party. Who can blame them?

Last edited by californio sur; 04-17-2010 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,011,051 times
I don't hate California, I just don't care for it and have somewhat of a dislike of it. Seeing who they have as Governor, and how their economy is right now doesn't surprise me. Arizona has been getting alot of "runoff" from California in the last few years, maybe because things are comparatively cheaper here, IDK.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:03 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
California, for a lot of Southerners, just really isn't on the radar. And if it is, it's about the state being broke and stuff like that. It's merely a reflection of the media picking the most sensational stuff to report on, which is their job. Personally, this born and bred Southerner thinks California is one of the coolest places in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.