Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:15 AM

698 posts, read 1,510,123 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing the hatred stems from jealousy. I don't think the south is the only region to hate on California. Anybody that has spent a lot of time in California knows that it is a very special place on earth and that it has so much to offer. California is like another country within the U.S. It is very influential in American culture.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:48 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
I'm not from the South and I have to say I am not all that fond of certain aspects of the California culture. And no, it has nothing to do with being jealous. :-)

Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM

648 posts, read 1,619,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Whether it's reliable or not, at last he HAS something to use, unlike you. It's great how when someone proves you wrong with actual facts you refute it by simply saying the facts are wrong, and then continue to decline to post proof for your own claims. So i guess it's RussianIvanov's word against the world......yet again.
He has nothing to use. There are no facts which you speak of. I replied back that polls have no reliability and the people he is using to defend Barack Obama are as liberal as someone can get socially. I am not going to find sources, because there are none except for polls. That is it. There is no reliable source, except for me, seeing as though I know wealthy people personally. Garden City (where my house is) is an affluent town on Long Island, majority registered Republicans. The fact that you need surveys that so many people did not take, including me, to prove your point because you do not know firsthand is only helping me by showing me your lack of knowledge. Do any of you know anything about economics? Do any of you have one single clue why the wealthy tends to be Republican? Money. Money. Money. Money. Money. Money. Money. Business. Business. Business. Business. Business. Business. I think any economics teacher would tell you this is usually the case. Not always, that is not what I am saying, but usually.

Bill Gates, Oprah, Steven Spielberg are set no matter what. But I own a business, I need my taxes to be low just like many other people in my shoes, or else my business will have to downsize and lay people off. The same people who want the wealthy to be taxed more are the same people that people like me will be laying off when they do raise my taxes.

California Sur, if the only thing you can do is post an insult every 2 seconds, do not even bother. You are only showing off your own ignorance that you claim I have. You can not go one thread that has the word "conservative" in it without posting outdated redneck oriented insults with smiley faces at the end, nobody is smiling.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 04-18-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 08:34 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Most folks in the south or any other region of the U.S. are more concerned with what happens locally or where family ties are rather than what's happening thousands of miles away. California is not on people's radars on the east coast, and vice versa. Most folks feel that their particular region is more important or relevant than other regions. It's human nature and world-wide, but it's an illusion. :-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 04-18-2010 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 AM

871 posts, read 2,249,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I'm guessing the hatred stems from jealousy. I don't think the south is the only region to hate on California. Anybody that has spent a lot of time in California knows that it is a very special place on earth and that it has so much to offer. California is like another country within the U.S. It is very influential in American culture.

Soooooooooooo, wrong. do you realize how much of maodern american culture comes from the south? pretty much all modern music genres do.

blues, rock, jazz, country, bluegrass, all come from the south. the south is just steeped with american culture and folklore.

have you ever had barbecue? where do you think that started out? how about fried chicken? "roscoes chicken and waffles" is an extremeley famous restaurant in LA, there would never've been any roscoes has their been no south.

think before you speak. the south is not jealous of california. most southerners could care less about it.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
The reason some people "hate" [I think that is too strong a term btw] is mainly envy of California. This is not a Southern hate of California but applies to some people all over the nation. Just as some people hate the Northeast, specifically New York City. The bi-coastal influence on the nation can not be denied & some people resent it. But this is not so much hate as it is begrudging California people\ ways.

As others have pointed out, California is the super state in terms of influence and economic power. Maybe 6-7 other countries in the world have stronger economies. California feeds the nation & world with the most productive output of fresh vegetables\ fruit anywhere across the globe.

California is by far the most beautiful of all the states with the most diverse landmass of any state [Mt Whitney is the highest mountain in the US outside Alaska: 14,505 feet & Death Valley is the lowest region in the entire northern hemisphere -282 below sea-level]. Tallest tree in the world is the California redwood, Hyperion, at 379.1 feet. Oldest tree in U.S. & one of the oldest trees in the world is Methuselah, a Bristlecone pine at 4841 yrs old in located in the high Sierra Nevada mts of California. The sheer beauty of the many mountain ranges, 800 miles of super scenic coastline [redwood groves\ Big Sur, offshore islands]. And, of-course, a climate considered to be closest to best for human comfort anywhere in the world: Mediterranean.

I could write another paragraph on the cities of California but I think the reader gets the point. And the point is no other state can match California in so many categories that it becomes pointless to even compare.

These characteristics make California the destination for many people & why California is the largest state in population as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The reason some people "hate" [I think that is too strong a term btw] is mainly envy of California. This is not a Southern hate of California but applies to some people all over the nation. Just as some people hate the Northeast, specifically New York City. The bi-coastal influence on the nation can not be denied & some people resent it. But this is not so much hate as it is begrudging California people\ ways.

As others have pointed out, California is the super state in terms of influence and economic power. Maybe 6-7 other countries in the world have stronger economies. California feeds the nation & world with the most productive output of fresh vegetables\ fruit anywhere across the globe.

California is by far the most beautiful of all the states with the most diverse landmass of any state [Mt Whitney is the highest mountain in the US outside Alaska: 14,505 feet & Death Valley is the lowest region in the entire northern hemisphere -282 below sea-level]. Tallest tree in the world is the California redwood, Hyperion, at 379.1 feet. Oldest tree in U.S. & one of the oldest trees in the world is Methuselah, a Bristlecone pine at 4841 yrs old in located in the high Sierra Nevada mts of California. The sheer beauty of the many mountain ranges, 800 miles of super scenic coastline [redwood groves\ Big Sur, offshore islands]. And, of-course, a climate considered to be closest to best for human comfort anywhere in the world: Mediterranean.

I could write another paragraph on the cities of California but I think the reader gets the point. And the point is no other state can match California in so many categories that it becomes pointless to even compare.

These characteristics make California the destination for many people & why California is the largest state in population as well.
get over yourself. im sure all those folks in atlanta just are seething with jealousy over those people who get to live in stockton.

as said many times, most dont even think about CA. those that dislike it, usually do so for political reasons.

nobody could care less about all that BS you posted. once again, get the hell over yourself.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
If you want to experience how quickly the entire U.S. can begin to pale in relevance, then just travel to a foreign country. I recommend France. :-)

Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
get over yourself. im sure all those folks in atlanta just are seething with jealousy over those people who get to live in stockton.

as said many times, most dont even think about CA. those that dislike it, usually do so for political reasons.

nobody could care less about all that BS you posted. once again, get the hell over yourself.
I think your green complexion is radiating in your reply! Care to debate all the "BS"? I don't think so. And why you chose slander over facts.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think your green complexion is radiating in your reply! Care to debate all the "BS"? I don't think so. And why you chose slander over facts.
the BS i was referring to, were all those things you posted "proving" how great california is. you post things like, we have mountains, so the only logical explanation as to why someone would dislike california is because they are jealous. sure, california has plenty to offer, but that doesnt equate into southerners disliking it because of "jealousy".

sorry buddy, it doesnt work that way. as said many times, most dont think about california. those that dislike california, do so because of politics. have you ever even talked to anyone from the south about california? as someone who has lived in the bay area and south, you are just way off.
southerners are very proud of their culture, and very proud of where they are from. usually more so than your average californian

and if me telling you to "get over yourself" is slander, i think 95 percent of the forum should be jailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.