Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times

Advertisements

And why? California is a huge state with many rural areas that are really conservative, republican, and whatnot. Plenty of outdoors type stuff, hunting, fishing, small towns way out in the woods. Places like the Northeast or Northwest are probably way more contrary to Southern culture.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
This subject brings out the worst in people I'm afraid. But unforunately it also draws a few readers from the South who promote militias & secession from the North. Maybe the reason why some people in the South [and it is a very small number of people btw] hate the West is that racism is absolutedly abhorred here. The reaction from a state heavily populated with Asian\ Latinos\ liberals is immediately negative. The backlash against the Republican party is that they don't insist that their base reject racism\ homophobia. It's not a California rejection but rather an American rejection from all states toward a hateful group of uneducated people.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
I don't hate California it's got some cool cities LA is cool and San Diego is a nice city haven't been out there in a few years though. If it wasn't so expensive out there and I was going to move out of state california is a state I would consider living in there or Arizona.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This subject brings out the worst in people I'm afraid. But unforunately it also draws a few readers from the South who promote militias & secession from the North. Maybe the reason why some people in the South [and it is a very small number of people btw] hate the West is that racism is absolutedly abhorred here. The reaction from a state heavily populated with Asian\ Latinos\ liberals is immediately negative. The backlash against the Republican party is that they don't insist that their base reject racism\ homophobia. It's not a California rejection but rather an American rejection from all states toward a hateful group of uneducated people.
This thread is kind of stereotypical my first thought was
1. Who hate cali? Then
2. Who told the OP that all southerners like out door activities? And
3. Now I'm looking at your post going Yes a very small number of people!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:09 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't think Southeners really care that California has a lot of Asians & Latinos. If anything, most Southerners that hate California hate the white people there. The stereotypical ones, from Orange County, Beverly Hills, etc. That whole lifestyle is just annoying to many Southerners. I know most of California is not like that, but it's always the worst aspects of a state that cause people to hate it so much.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM

287 posts, read 497,936 times
Right, becuase all the people from the south live in rural areas, like conservative politics, outdoor stuff and identify with some arbitrary "southern culture" stereotype. You are just asking for trouble with all those stereotypes and this is probably why those supposed southerners don't like you.

Last edited by dmagoku; 04-16-2010 at 11:05 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 10:13 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
I've run into so many people from the South that think CA is the essence of liberal America and wouldn't even consider visiting CA. This thread is anecdotal, just an impression I've gotten from Southerners I've met. I could be wrong.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Granted, my experience living in the south was limited to just one year, so I'm certainly no expert. I never felt that people hated CA, though; it just wasn't on the radar for most people. I do, however, remember one particularly memorable letter to the editor from someone asking people to join him in praying that San Francisco be destroyed and fall into the city in retribution for allowing gay marriage. So yes, I think it's safe to say that some southerners hate California, but they're balanced out by some Californians who think that all southerns are racist hicks. I met a bunch of people originally from the south while living in CA, and while living in the south I met people who had relatives living in California.

I suppose there's probably, in some areas, some of the "I hate Californians because they're moving here and running up housing prices" that seems to pop up (or did, anyway) in many parts of the country.

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
And why? California is a huge state with many rural areas that are really conservative, republican, and whatnot. Plenty of outdoors type stuff, hunting, fishing, small towns way out in the woods. Places like the Northeast or Northwest are probably way more contrary to Southern culture.
i dont know if id say hate, but the opinion sure isnt too positive, at least from those that have one. most dont think about or care about california

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I don't think Southeners really care that California has a lot of Asians & Latinos. If anything, most Southerners that hate California hate the white people there. The stereotypical ones, from Orange County, Beverly Hills, etc. That whole lifestyle is just annoying to many Southerners. I know most of California is not like that, but it's always the worst aspects of a state that cause people to hate it so much.
Good point I hadn't thought about. But I think that people in California also hate the wealthy airhead -types. Hate is too strong a word though because most people may dislike certain celebrities but hardly care less if Tiger is cheating on his wife or Paris Hilton's car crashes. Probably some of it is envy over the money some celebrities have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.