Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times

Advertisements

Amen to that!!!!! So happy for you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 8,423 times
I live in Donalsonville and as a young adult like it. For the most part. I have so many of my friends that have moved to north Georgia and I miss them. But, D'ville is still a good town. It's a good mix of people and ideas. Most of them still pretty "southern".Somebody said Moultrie and I know that is a nice place. Tifton too.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM

62 posts, read 215,134 times
I will assume you are not talking about "race" but rather the feeling of gentility and Southern grace of times in the past. Evidence of that may still be found in areas of the South with Oxford, Miss, Madison, GA and Washington, Ga as examples. There are other examples in the "Deep South" worth investigating.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
I think the OP was very specific about what he meant.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 19,646 times
LMAO. Hello folks! I will dare to try to change some peoples minds on NY. Well not NY maybe, but some people here. I think in all places you will get your snobs as well as the non snobs. I think in bigger cities like NY for instance where things get more expensive you get alot of people with that mindset, ie.. "Keeping up with the Jones's". That's the one thing I always hated about my State and always wondered if it was different elsewhere.
I was born in Queens, NY and when my parents made more money we moved out to the suburbs of Long Island so we had what they thought would be better schools opportunities, etc... Believe it or not being a kid and moving from what they called the city to the burbs, was a big culture shock! And that was just less than an hour away in the same state! I was made fun of because they knew I was different, dressed different, etc...But I think kids can be cruel anywhere. Queens everybody said hello, we had block parties and knew our neighbors. Long Island everyone hides, but will literally peek out the curtains at you, lol U'd think they realize you can see the curtain move! Still makes me laugh today. Not saying you won't meet friendly people here but there is no sense of being neighborly.
Sorry to be long winded. But my point is it's everywhere I think. I have traveled but you don't get a true sense of that area being a tourist. I think this site is awesome to get a better sense of areas you may want to live and who will be your possible neighbors just by seeing the replies good and bad. I think no matter where you live if you look for a smaller town you will probably find a closer knit feeling less people more interaction, everyone will know you. And they will do things say fairs and such for the sake of the kids, will be more laid back ..Any bigger city you will get more hustle, conveniences like things open late, stores close by etc...But then that would be a trade off I would think. I have seen especially for children no matter where you live if there's less to do they may get into more trouble (Idle hands...lol) than say having after school sports or places that they can get to easily to interact and there be some sort of supervision even a mall if the parents have to work. Which is mostly everybody these days. I think no matter where my family lived they instilled in us kids the proper way to act and do things and it does show in us as adults. Which no school or town has taught us.
Just pick where you think your child will have the best memories and opportunities to be their very best. That they will take with them and so the same for their kids.
At this point in my life I am looking for a small town to move to it has grown too expensive in NY as well as the quality of life stinks in my opinion, money is always good but I'd rather be happy make less and could still survive and have weekends to have fun then work 24/7 and still struggle to make ends meet. This state seems to be the only one that you need to have a BS degree and be fluent in at least one other language to be a customer service representative. My AS degree in Math and Science was just a waste of money here, lol. Hope everyone finds what they are looking for I have always been attracted to the south for some reason. Maybe because my Mom was from there! Who knows...

Old 05-27-2010, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 19,646 times
Glad to see you made it home safe, and Thank you for your service. I did read some of the posts and felt bad because I know what you were getting at and I am glad you found a place for your family. I may look into it myself. That is pretty funny that you can't find it online. What's the population? I would be looking to rent is there private rentals or commercial rentals? Any info would be great. Have a great weekend

Old 06-11-2010, 12:56 PM

62 posts, read 215,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I think the OP was very specific about what he meant.
Are you trying o say something? Please elaborate on your intentions. Or perhaps educate us less sophisticated.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
[quote=GaBoy-n-Iraq;1625169]Ok here I go, I have an even simpler question than the one I wrote yesterday that was apparently erased. My question was written very polite and tactful, but it didn’t pass the moderators approval, I suppose, so I will try it again even more general than yesterday. My question is not to offend any one, but to inform my self on the issue to help me decide were to move after fighting for my country.

Is the Good’Ole south gone? Is there still places in the south were the towns are “down home” towns, were I can raise my son to be a southern Gentlemen, to speak and be polite to every one, to respect his elders and understand that hard work, a firm hand shake, and your word goes a long way, to say yes mam and no mam, yes sir and no sir. Are there towns that still do things the right way, towns who are not scared to death, that if they lock some one up for committing a crime the media is going to be knocking down town halls doors calling justice and punishment, racism and hate! Imagine that, if you commit a crime, you pay for it, wow! So my question is this does the Good’Ole south still exist and if so were are some good cities left in the south. Thanks

GaBoy-n-Iraq !!! ... Bless you for a Thread such as this one !

You can be most assured that the Old South is very much intact and it's great heritage and famous "Southern Pride are very much in evidence throught the Carolinas , Alabama, much of Virginia, and of course Georgia !

Yes indeed the politeness and respectful manners are very much in evidence among so many fine folks in these areas of the U.S.

I have witnessed these outstanding qualities numerous times among the residents of the above named areas.

Yes indeed "Southern Pride" & "Dixie Land" still absolutely exist despite the lunacy of some absolutely clueless folks who would claim otherwise !

Long live the "Old South" ..... EEEEEEEEEH ! HAAAh !

Thanks / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
GA Boy, I think I hear you. We were raised proper, and always to show respect to people, period. But the harsh reality is the world has changed, priorities in the family have changed, and sadly, I would imagine, Mayberry is becoming harder to find. Good Luck, and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia