Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 AM

177 posts, read 221,456 times

Advertisements

I disagree with you about Macon. Macon has some commercial development and some residential, but the residential development in Macon could be in better places, and the commercial will not attract more residents. Macon (because of the former Mayor and how he has let Macon go downhill) hasnt seen a rise in population in awhile. Thats not to say Macon wont grow, it will just time for that to happen. I believe it will take at least 3 to 5 years to see any substantial growth in Macon.
Actually, Monroe county and Byron will be the 2 next BIG hotspots for growth and development. Monroe county has Henry county and Atlanta developers beating down the doors there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
The problem with Augusta is for a city as old as it is, it has been stuck in neutral for so long that it is now playing catch up. For example, Columbus and Savannah have had loft apartments and condos in their downtown areas for years. Columbus' Downtown revitalization is about 10 years or more ahead of Augusta's and Macon. For the last 15 years only Columbus, Athens and Savannah have been pumping money into rebuilding their Downtown and city infrastructure. I will admit that Augusta's metro area has been growing, but if you take a look at where the growth is you will notice that it is not In Augusta (city). As a matter of fact there has been a steady migration from Augusta to South Carolina and Columbia County. The same can be said for Macon and Savannah. But the difference with Savannah is that job growth in Savannah has been very good. Although Savannah is loosing population it is gaining a large industrial base and it remains the place where people migrate into during the day to work and at night to play. But unless it can change the trend of people moving out, the city will start to suffer also, as its tax base starts to erode and this will put a severe strain on the city services. Get back with me in 10 years and let's compare real data, not feelings. By that time Columbus will be second only to Atlanta in city and metro population, (it should add Chambers and Lee Counties in AL and Troup County in GA) and industrial output (GMP), this opinion is based on sound statistical inferences, not club hoping. Actually, if the trends from last year continue for this year, then Columbus should be the second larges city in the state of GA by the middle to the end of this year (2008). The bell has rung, let the debate began.

Last edited by JLA; 02-01-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 AM

177 posts, read 221,456 times
I agree....Columbus is going to boom big time...especially if the Alabama side can figure out how to handle the population increase with its ineffective sewer system.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:17 PM

383 posts, read 722,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
The problem with Augusta is for a city as old as it is, it has been stuck in neutral for so long that it is now playing catch up. For example, Columbus and Savannah have had loft apartments and condos in their downtown areas for years. Columbus' Downtown revitalization is about 10 years or more ahead of Augusta's and Macon. For the last 15 years only Columbus, Athens and Savannah have been pumping money into rebuilding their Downtown and city infrastructure. I will admit that Augusta's metro area has been growing, but if you take a look at where the growth is you will notice that it is not In Augusta (city). As a matter of fact there has been a steady migration from Augusta to South Carolina and Columbia County. The same can be said for Macon and Savannah. But the difference with Savannah is that job growth in Savannah has been very good. Although Savannah is loosing population it is gaining a large industrial base and it remains the place where people migrate into during the day to work and at night to play. But unless it can change the trend of people moving out, the city will start to suffer also, as its tax base starts to erode and this will put a severe strain on the city services. Get back with me in 10 years and let's compare real data, not feelings. By that time Columbus will be second only to Atlanta in city and metro population, (it should add Chambers and Lee Counties in AL and Troup County in GA) and industrial output (GMP), this opinion is based on sound statistical inferences, not club hoping. Actually, if the trends from last year continue for this year, then Columbus should be the second larges city in the state of GA by the middle to the end of this year (2008). The bell has rung, let the debate began.
How is columbus downtown 10 years ahead of macon and augusta. Come on columbus should look like raleigh nc or birmingham ala but it doesn't. Augusta has had condos and lofts for years to. I don't think no city in ga except for atlanta and maybe savannah has more condos than augusta. Augusta has had condos since the early 90's. Now we are getting 2 10 story condos, and several lofts right now downtown. So i have to disagree. JLA are you meaning people when talking about growth or developments. Because there are no big developments in the suburbs of augusta compared to the city. I think you need to come to augusta again.

Augusta mall, judicial center, library, watermark condos, whites building, convention center, kroc center, costco shopping center, forum augusta, riverwatch mall, baseball stadium, sibley mill, miller theatre, mlk memorial, james brown exhibit, and the spaghetti junction on I-20/520. Are some of the construction happening this year in the city of augusta. Evans, grovetown, N. Augusta, martinez, or any other area doesn't even come close to this amount of construction. So the growth is happening in augusta city now not the suburbs. There are no jobs, nightlife, and shopping, except for in the city of augusta. All the major growth in augusta is in the city. You may think some of the areas on the westside are evans, or martinez, but in true most of that land is west augusta. The new mall/lifestyle center will be in richmond county. I don't think you know how much growth is happening in the city with new stores at augusta mall like coach, coldwater creek, bananna republic, white house/black market, hollister, buckle, chop house, pf changs, and others.

And how is columbus metro going to pass augusta's in the next 10 years. I don't think so 288,000 to augusta 530,000

Columbus CSA is 430,000 still 100,000 less than augusta. I mean lets be serious.

Sorry but nobody from augusta is moving to columbia, or aiken county anymore. Aiken county residents didn't come from augusta but from retirees from the north, and florida. Augusta city stop losing people in 2005 now people are moving back to the city because of such projects like the watermark condos. The city of augusta gained people in 2006 and 2007. Im sure 2008 will bring new residents.

I mean i have been to athens, savannah, columbus, macon, and atlanta before. Other than atlanta no other city is 10 years ahead of augusta. That's totally false. As soon as i enter columbus i should be able to tell the diffrence if thats the case. Columbus doesn't even have a earthfare, costco, coach, or pf changs. Augusta has these stores already

Last edited by johndoeboy; 02-01-2008 at 01:43 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
How is columbus downtown 10 years ahead of macon and augusta. Come on columbus should look like raleigh nc or birmingham ala but it doesn't. Augusta has had condos and lofts for years to. I don't think no city in ga except for atlanta and maybe savannah has more condos than augusta. Augusta has had condos since the early 90's. Now we are getting 2 10 story condos, and several lofts right now downtown. So i have to disagree. JLA are you meaning people when talking about growth or developments. Because there are no big developments in the suburbs of augusta compared to the city. I think you need to come to augusta again.

Augusta mall, judicial center, library, watermark condos, whites building, convention center, kroc center, costco shopping center, forum augusta, riverwatch mall, baseball stadium, sibley mill, miller theatre, mlk memorial, james brown exhibit, and the spaghetti junction on I-20/520. Are some of the construction happening this year in the city of augusta. Evans, grovetown, N. Augusta, martinez, or any other area doesn't even come close to this amount of construction. So the growth is happening in augusta city now not the suburbs. There are no jobs, nightlife, and shopping, except for in the city of augusta. All the major growth in augusta is in the city. You may think some of the areas on the westside are evans, or martinez, but in true most of that land is west augusta. The new mall/lifestyle center will be in richmond county. I don't think you know how much growth is happening in the city with new stores at augusta mall like coach, coldwater creek, bananna republic, white house/black market, hollister, buckle, chop house, pf changs, and others.

And how is columbus metro going to pass augusta's in the next 10 years. I don't think so 288,000 to augusta 530,000

Columbus CSA is 430,000 still 100,000 less than augusta. I mean lets be serious.

Sorry but nobody from augusta is moving to columbia, or aiken county anymore. Aiken county residents didn't come from augusta but from retirees from the north, and florida. Augusta city stop losing people in 2005 now people are moving back to the city because of such projects like the watermark condos. The city of augusta gained people in 2006 and 2007. Im sure 2008 will bring new residents.

I mean i have been to athens, savannah, columbus, macon, and atlanta before. Other than atlanta no other city is 10 years ahead of augusta. That's totally false. As soon as i enter columbus i should be able to tell the diffrence if thats the case. Columbus doesn't even have a earthfare, costco, coach, or pf changs. Augusta has these stores already

Truthfully, Columbus has more Lofts, condos and Student housing Downtown than Augusta does. Although Columbus does not say much about the development that is going on, its downtown area is very active with construction activity. A drive through Downtown will speak volumes for itself. Also old mills along the Chattahoochee River have been transformed into lofts, condos, apartments and commercial areas. One of my colleagues who lived in Augusta for several years, said to me that Columbus although the same size as Augusta, downtown area is years ahead. And its government is more progressive and functional. I for one am glad that Augusta has started to invest into its downtown area and I wish it much success. All of GA needs to move forward if possible. Augusta has a very rich history and it should use it to its advantage. The Baseball Stadium, Softball Stadium, Museum, Naval Museum, Civic Center, Springer Opera House and Convention Center have been completed more than 10 years ago. Toss in the River Center For the Performing Arts and Columbus has not done to bad in the last 10 to 20 years. Please come visit Columbus, we will be glad to have you. My plans are to visit Augusta again this year, it has been about a year since I was there last.

As for the population difference, by 2011 more than 40,000 people will be relocating to the Columbus area because of BRAC. That will cut the difference by almost half. Then toss in Chambers County AL and Troup County GA and they should total more than 100,000 people. Add the people migrating in to work for Kia and the supporting factories and other industries that are expanding and locating to the area, I believe the area will top out near 600,000 people in 10 years. People tend to migrate to the jobs and this area will have plenty of jobs.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM

383 posts, read 722,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Truthfully, Columbus has more Lofts, condos and Student housing Downtown than Augusta does. Although Columbus does not say much about the development that is going on, its downtown area is very active with construction activity. A drive through Downtown will speak volumes for itself. Also old mills along the Chattahoochee River have been transformed into lofts, condos, apartments and commercial areas. One of my colleagues who lived in Augusta for several years, said to me that Columbus although the same size as Augusta, downtown area is years ahead. And its government is more progressive and functional. I for one am glad that Augusta has started to invest into its downtown area and I wish it much success. All of GA needs to move forward if possible. Augusta has a very rich history and it should use it to its advantage. The Baseball Stadium, Softball Stadium, Museum, Naval Museum, Civic Center, Springer Opera House and Convention Center have been completed more than 10 years ago. Toss in the River Center For the Performing Arts and Columbus has not done to bad in the last 10 to 20 years. Please come visit Columbus, we will be glad to have you. My plans are to visit Augusta again this year, it has been about a year since I was there last.

As for the population difference, by 2011 more than 40,000 people will be relocating to the Columbus area because of BRAC. That will cut the difference by almost half. Then toss in Chambers County AL and Troup County GA and they should total more than 100,000 people. Add the people migrating in to work for Kia and the supporting factories and other industries that are expanding and locating to the area, I believe the area will top out near 600,000 people in 10 years. People tend to migrate to the jobs and this area will have plenty of jobs.

Exactly you had a friend who lived in augusta for several years but not living there now. Im talking about downtown augusta and the way it looks now. Im sure columbus and metro columbus will add people. But augusta metro is 530,000 to columbus 288,000. That's alot more people in augusta's metro compared to columbus. And you act like augusta and metro augusta aren't going to add people by 2011. We could add mccormick, jefferson, wilkes, washington, warrenton, barnwell, lincolton, and others.

Im sure columbus, macon, and savannah will continue to grow. By let's be honest none of these cities are going to pass augusta's metro population by 2020.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I definitely think Columbus and Macon are on Augusta's level. Columbus' area population is not that much smaller than Augusta's if you include the Auburn/Opelika area. The A/O area will probably be counted in Columbus' MSA in the 2010 count. Look at all of the new development that is being done in Columbus and Macon. Both these cities are really taking off compared to Augusta. Columbus is gaining 30,000-45,000 new residents by 2011 which will push the city population about 20,000+ people higher than Augusta. I am in real estate development, and I say lookout for the next hottest areas, that being Columbus and Macon.
A former GA resident, I would consider Augusta and Savannah on a higher level, not because of their population, but they are more famous.

Augusta- Is known for the PGA tour, the country-club lifestyle.
Savannah- Is known as a southern belle city with southern charm, scenery, history, etc.,

Macon-nothin'
Columbus--nothin'

Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 AM

105 posts, read 527,053 times
True! So unless you have taken a recent trip to a place then you cannot say much. There is new developing going on all over the place in all cities. You cannot go by what you saw 10 years, 5 years, not even two years ago these days.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
Exactly you had a friend who lived in augusta for several years but not living there now. Im talking about downtown augusta and the way it looks now. Im sure columbus and metro columbus will add people. But augusta metro is 530,000 to columbus 288,000. That's alot more people in augusta's metro compared to columbus. And you act like augusta and metro augusta aren't going to add people by 2011. We could add mccormick, jefferson, wilkes, washington, warrenton, barnwell, lincolton, and others.

Im sure columbus, macon, and savannah will continue to grow. By let's be honest none of these cities are going to pass augusta's metro population by 2020.
Columbus, along with Auburn/Opelika, is not far behind Augusta. Columbus numbers don't represent the area at all. We have Auburn/Opelika 23 miles to the west and LaGrange 30 miles to the north that add nearly 200,000 more people to the valley area. The A/O area will more than likely become part of the MSA in 2010 which will add 130,000+ people to the Columbus MSA. This doesn't include Fort Benning's population as well as the additional 40,000 people coming here in the next 2-3 years for BRAC. Columbus will be Georgia's major job creator for the next 5-10 years outside Atlanta. Just like JLA said, people migrate to where the jobs are. Also, many military retire here because of Fort Benning. So saying Columbus is wayyy behind Augusta in everything is complete false. I just sat in on the Atlanta Home Builders Association meeting in Atlanta. All these builders talked about is the growth that is coming to Columbus. One builder said that 5 houses are completed each day on Fort Benning.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,762,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2008 View Post
Why do I sense so much tension between the 2nd Tier Cities of Georgia on this site? When someone feels good about where they are from and mentions positives about their city a bitter, negative person is right there to tear them down. That same bitter person then turns around and gets upset when someone says something about their town.
Perhaps you guys should try living in some of the New Jersey towns like Camden and Newark before you want to talk about how bad your precious Georgia cities' crime and poor leadership are. Why is it a crime for a person to have pride about where they are from?
...and it just started up all over again! The same thing happens on the SC forum. I don't understand it either - why can't someone just offer input and suggestions about a particular town/city without bashing another?? It must be very discouraging to people who are actually trying to use the info. from this site to determine where they look to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia