Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 AM

15 posts, read 9,592 times

Advertisements

I think it's safe to say the voter suppression worked. We'll never know for sure, but I would guess the issues with machines in mostly black areas combined with the exact match law resulting in over 1 million registration cancellations likely made up the less than 2% Kemp leads Abrams by. Kemp should have been forced to recuse himself.

Also I wasn't up to date with the 6th. With 100% reporting it looks like it's gone blue. Funny how with all the attention it got during the special election, it ended up going blue to a candidate without donations pouring in from all over the country, in a race that was overshadowed by the race for Governor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,877,908 times
Default Governor's race, GA-06, GA-07 too close to call

So when I went to bed i thought this was a blowout for Republicans. The results are 99% in and it's neck and neck in three races—

For Governor, Kemp is at 50.4%, Abrams is at 48.6%, and the margin is right around the number of voters that got purged (63,000), so they are going to have to count the provisional ballots. Kemp is not declaring victory. This is going to drag out for a while. If after the votes are counted, no candidate receives 50% + 1 vote, the election goes to a December runoff.

GA-06, covering North Fulton and Cobb, has Lucy McBath ahead of Karen Handel by 3,000 votes, 50.5% to 49.5%.

GA-07 is split in the opposite direction, with incumbent Rob Woodall leading by 3,000 votes, 50.6% to Carolyn Bordeaux's 49.6%.

Anyone who didn't vote— this was the election your vote could make a difference. And those who did, you're going to have to wait to see how it went.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 AM

617 posts, read 552,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
If nothing else this election proved voter suppression is real. I am really disappointed that the federal court had to step in. Them stepping in speaks volumes about the state of Georgia election system.
I think this also put a black eye on Georgia. I was watching some national news this morning and many analysts kept going on and on about the voter suppression tactics used here. It doesn't surprise me but I think a lot of people are surprised now across the nation that these tactics are still alive and well. I mean there was a story yesterday about how a polling location in SW Atlanta had only 3 working booths! Fulton officials had to bring in more, but that is ridiculous. You had years to prepare for his election and only thought to put 3 booths at a polling place? Not good.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/lon...anta/867629575

Old 11-07-2018, 04:57 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
If nothing else this election proved voter suppression is real. I am really disappointed that the federal court had to step in. Them stepping in speaks volumes about the state of Georgia election system.
By ruling against Kemp, the courts effectively squashed any suspected voter suppression.... so in effect there was no voter suppression in GA that we know of..

There will always be claims of voter suppression from both sides, in most cases its simply a diversion tactic to get voters minds off the real topics. Now what the Democrats did in North Dakota was appalling and blatant in your face voter suppression “ATTENTION HUNTERS: If you vote in North Dakota, you may forfeit hunting licenses you have in other states. If you want to keep your out-of-state hunting licenses, you may not want to vote in North Dakota.” Desperate tactics from an immoral democratic campaign IMO.. of Course they lost and perhaps they knew they were going to lose so they threw some crap on the wall hoping it would stick. Typical politicians i suppose!

Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Interesting that GA-6 looks like a flip after all that money was spent last year.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
not surprised it was close. Stacey came off as genuine and to be honest, was easy to like. Kemp did a good job painting her as a screaming liberal but most of us saw through that. I think the last second hail-mary (Dems cyber crime) actually hurt Kemp more than it helped, at least from my point of view.. others my have fallen for it but i think that 99% of the voters had made up their minds long before Monday night.

I do think that GA will eventually be blue, but i don't think it happens within the next election cycles... You can see the blue expanding out of Atlanta.. Gwinnett is PINK but Hall is still solid RED.. so its a slow expansion but no doubt its there.

I hope Stacey runs again in 4 years... would be interesting to see how much if any of the dynamics change between now and then.
If she doesn’t win now I doubt she’ll be back in the spotlight until she can pay off her IRS and personal debt. If she’s able to do that she may be in a better position.

I lived in NY which is a solid, reliably blue state. I don’t want GA fiscally turning into NY.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Hmmm, don't know why my post (which wasn't off topic) was deleted...

I will keep my opinions about the outcome to myself (for now), but as a recent transplant to Metro Atlanta, I will say that am proud to have participated in what has been an historic election *in Georgia,* regardless of the outcome.

Last edited by citidata18; 11-07-2018 at 05:28 AM..

Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,568 times
Looks like the crazy low libertarian vote cost her at least a runoff. It’s about what I expected. I thought 49-49

Old 11-07-2018, 05:45 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Looks like the crazy low libertarian vote cost her at least a runoff. It’s about what I expected. I thought 49-49
Usually i at least know the name of the Libertarian on the ballot before entering the polls. I did not yesterday and suspect many others did not as well. I expected the 3rd party to get at least 2% of the vote and Metz got less than 1%. That certainly hurt Abrams more than Kemp.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:48 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
GA voters also approved the new business court. As a paralegal I’m grateful, but this does set the course for a flood of business and personal debt litigation lawsuits from creditors; it could possibly challenge some statutory bankruptcy protections that once protected consumers from creditors lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia