Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
As if that wasn't expected...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 02:15 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,258,422 times
Quote:
Typical. Too close to knowing the results of the election to worry about thisthis though. If (big if) she wins then we will see what happens.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As if that wasn't expected...
That should not be surprising that the majority party in the legislature is wanting to restrict the powers of the governor's office should a new governor be elected from the minority party.

North Carolina is an example that immediately comes to mind where a legislature that was dominated by one party restricted the powers of the governor's office when a member of the minority party was elected.

A supermajority-Democratic North Carolina Legislature severely restricted the powers of the governor's office when a Republican was elected governor of that state back in the early 1970's.

While a notably aggressive supermajority-Republican North Carolina Legislature restricted the powers of incoming Democratic Governor Roy Cooper in 2016 and 2017.

Though I think that Cooper was eventually able to have many of the powers of the NC governor restored by the courts after a legal battle with the Republican leadership of the NC Legislature in early-mid 2017.

Should Stacey Abrams be elected governor of Georgia, she as a Democrat will most assuredly be welcomed to the office by a near-supermajority Republican legislature that will work to thwart her every attempted move for the next four years.

The near-supermajority Republican Georgia Legislature has often been very difficult for a GOP governor to work with during the administrations of Republican Georgia governors Sonny Perdue and Nathan Deal.

Should he be elected, the near-supermajority Republican GA Legislature will most assuredly test an incoming Republican Governor Brian Kemp to see how far they can push him during his first 1-2 legislative sessions in office.

The near-supermajority Republican Georgia Legislature likely will become downright impossible for a Democratic Governor Stacey Abrams to work with should she win the election. Then they will use their lack of cooperation with Abrams against her when she runs for re-election in four years in hopes of seeing another Republican elected governor.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:14 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The important thing is to vote. Ideally with some knowledge of the candidates’ positions, but to vote nonetheless.

Exactly! Win or lose, still good to support the candidate you want to win.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:20 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Thank you.

One reason why I used the past tense when describing Abrams' rising chances of pulling the earth-shaking upset in this race is because I feel like Kemp potentially might have gained a bit of momentum in recent days on the strength of the political rally by Vice President Mike Pence and President Donald Trump in .

I've also been hearing reports that turnout is up dramatically up over even 2016 levels in the predominantly white and conservative exurban and rural areas of the state where Trump received the support that enabled him to carry a state like Georgia by about 5 points in 2016.

Though, even with a probable increase in momentum on the right, the chances of Stacey Abrams pulling the monster upset seems to remain very high for a Democratic gubernatorial or statewide candidate in a deep-red (but purple-trending) Republican-dominated stronghold like Georgia.

Well, I understand your frustration, particularly after the weekend's events where in his capacity as Georgia's Secretary of State (a position that he refuses to resign from despite an apparent conflict-of-interest in overseeing the voting in a gubernatorial race that he is participating in as the GOP nominee), Brian Kemp accused Democrats of hacking into the state's voting database with no apparent evidence.

But even with the accusations that Kemp has made that many of us might view as being highly disagreeable and beyond the bounds of acceptable political competition, one thing that must be kept in mind by those on the left side of the political spectrum who may be intensely disliking him is that, love him or hate him, there is still a strong chance that Kemp is likely to be elected the next governor of Georgia.

People who are politically diametrically opposed to Brian Kemp understandably may be very unhappy at the accusations he has made against the Democrats without apparent evidence.

But if Brian Kemp wins the election today (which is a strong possibility because of continuing GOP advantages in the state), Brian Kemp is going to be the 83rd Governor of the State of Georgia and Democrats and progressives (who undeniably appear to be on the rise, but still appear to be in a minority position in Georgia politics as of present) are going to have no choice but to deal with and work with him... Just as people on the left side of the political spectrum have had no choice but to deal with and work with conservative governors throughout Georgia's history, and just like Republicans and conservatives will have no choice but to deal with and work with a Democratic Governor Stacey Abrams should she win the election.

I know that it will be easier said than done, but that will be the reality, no less. Whomever wins, as much as the other side may dislike them, is going to have to be accepted as the winner and the head of Georgia state government by the other side.

True true. You always back up your statements with research and so I know you weren't trying to be a downer. It's just that from what you wrote, I saw the logic in it and thought...darn...she actually might not win. Like I said before, I do like how Ms. Abrams is giving kemp a run for his money. He got so desperate haha. This will also I hope invigorate progressives. Hopefully they will come out more and more in the future.

Old 11-06-2018, 03:56 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I voted, and I voted for Abrams. I can't have someone as corrupt as Kemp in office.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:21 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Only waited 5 minutes at my polling place to vote Abrams.

How did you all vote for the constitutional amendments? I voted yes on the first 3, no on the last 2.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
True true. You always back up your statements with research and so I know you weren't trying to be a downer. It's just that from what you wrote, I saw the logic in it and thought...darn...she actually might not win. Like I said before, I do like how Ms. Abrams is giving kemp a run for his money. He got so desperate haha. This will also I hope invigorate progressives. Hopefully they will come out more and more in the future.
I definitely think that progressives will be invigorated moving forward.

But Democrats and progressives still have much work to do to move into a position of true parity in this state that continues to be controlled by Republicans and conservatives for the time being.

Democrats and progressives have to continue to work on developing and growing their base of voters so that they can better compete with Republican voters in down ticket races at the state legislative and congressional levels.

Democrats and progressives also have much work to do to appeal to the suburban moderate white female voters who continue to make up a crucial part of the ruling Republican coalition.

With reports that she has attracted about 37% of the white female vote, Stacey Abrams appears to have done much better with white female voters than Democrats have done in the last 4 gubernatorial races.

But it probably is going to take significantly more than 37% of the white female vote for Democrats to have a truly legitimate shot at winning a statewide race.

Democrats likely are going to also have to continue to work on making their party and their candidates appear to be viable options for voters in a state where most of the voters seem to think that only conservative white male Republicans can govern and lead at the state level.

Democrats appear to still have much work to do to gain the support and trust of a majority of voters in this state...A state in which a majority of voters only seem to trust Republican candidates to govern and lead at the state level.

Democrats can make inroads in the trust department by doing more to appeal to suburban moderate white female voters.

When Virginia made its change from a deep-red state to a bluish-purple state in the late 2000's and the early-mid 2010's, it was suburban moderate white voters (particularly educated suburban white female voters) that propelled that change... Particularly as Virginia's then-Republican controlled and dominated state government committed actions (like passing a law that required women to get ultrasounds before abortions) that severely alienated suburban moderate female voters.

And if Georgia ever changes from Republican control to Democratic control, it will be suburban moderate white female voters that will play a major role in helping to propel that change.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:53 PM

560 posts, read 667,780 times
https://twitter.com/wsbtv/status/1059946786515759107

Old 11-06-2018, 05:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,303,227 times
Horrendous results in Macon county early for Abrams. She won it 54-45 with everything in but Hillary got it 65-35 in 2016 with way more turnout. If that’s a harbinger of Democrat turnout this won’t be close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia