Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
White college-educated suburban women is the group where she has a realistic shot at flipping votes. Chasing rural reliably Republican white voters would be a huge waste of time and money.
So you're saying her strategy is to just keep using the same losing strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
Real world scenario and flipping old white conservatives to vote for a black woman don't go along in the same sentence. It's way easier to convince a young apathetic voter to go to the poll.
That's what Democrats always do and it has proven not to work very well.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 AM

712 posts, read 702,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So you're saying her strategy is to just keep using the same losing strategy?
I expect Kemp to win and she’s not going to persuade rural white voters to vote for her. That said, the strategy she’s pursuing of focusing on turning out people who lean Democrat but have a lower voting propensity is the most sensible strategy. She has to be wildly successful with it to win. To the extent that she can grab some suburban women along the way she’ll help herself. And those are the only white voters she has any reasonable expectation of flipping. In short, the two tactics aren’t mutually exclusive.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:52 AM
JPD

Quote:
I expect Kemp to win and she’s not going to persuade rural white voters to vote for her. That said, the strategy she’s pursuing of focusing on turning out people who lean Democrat but have a lower voting propensity is the most sensible strategy. She has to be wildly successful with it to win. To the extent that she can grab some suburban women along the way she’ll help herself. And those are the only white voters she has any reasonable expectation of flipping. In short, the two tactics aren’t mutually exclusive.
They're not mutually exclusive, but they are the same strategies that the Democrats have been employing unsuccessfully for a long time. Her message is not new, and her strategy is not new. So, as much as I'd love to be wrong, I see a pretty easy Kemp win.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:53 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,463 times
Quote:

Whites of any persuasion be they urban or rural are far more likely to vote for Abrams than blacks are for Kemp.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,997,230 times
Quote:
White college-educated suburban women is the group where she has a realistic shot at flipping votes. Chasing rural reliably Republican white voters would be a huge waste of time and money.
I'm that demographic. I agree with pretty much everything Brian Kemp is running on. I just tried to read about Stacey Abrams's views on her website and it is a hot mess. She doesn't seem to be able to say anything without two pages of verbiage. Not sure what she stands for, but am hazarding a guess that it's too liberal to move me from Kemp. If she were for lowering taxes and easing the burden of government regulation, etc., then she would have said it, but I wasn't reading that. . . .It's not like white college-educated suburban women are drifting in the wind. Most of us have solidified our views, on one side of the political spectrum or the other. Why would they be easier to shift than white college-educated suburban men?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,529,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
They're not mutually exclusive, but they are the same strategies that the Democrats have been employing unsuccessfully for a long time. Her message is not new, and her strategy is not new. So, as much as I'd love to be wrong, I see a pretty easy Kemp win.
You guys make Georgia sound like a very racist backward place. Im not saying that it is or it isnt just saying what I am reading here.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM

712 posts, read 702,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I'm that demographic. I agree with pretty much everything Brian Kemp is running on. I just tried to read about Stacey Abrams's views on her website and it is a hot mess. She doesn't seem to be able to say anything without two pages of verbiage. Not sure what she stands for, but am hazarding a guess that it's too liberal to move me from Kemp. If she were for lowering taxes and easing the burden of government regulation, etc., then she would have said it, but I wasn't reading that. . . .It's not like white college-educated suburban women are drifting in the wind. Most of us have solidified our views, on one side of the political spectrum or the other. Why would they be easier to shift than white college-educated suburban men?
There is a massive amount of data showing that white college-educated voters have been drifting away from the Republican Party over the past 15 years. That change is most pronounced among women. The gender gap among white college-educated voters is at a historic high. You are just one data point. It’s not as apparent in Georgia but in other locations with high a concentration of college-educated white voters, suburban Philadelphia for example, Republicans have lost what was a sizeable advantage among those voters twenty years ago. Trump was the first Republican candidate in PA history to lose in all four suburban counties surrounding Philadelphia.

Pew has done a good job over the years of tracking these trends - Wide Gender Gap, Growing Educational Divide in Voters' Party Identification | Pew Research Center

The challenge for Abrams is that white non-college educated voters are the single largest block of voters in Georgia and those voters here have a much higher than average propensity to be evangelicals who are at this point completely out of reach for any Democrat.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 AM

815 posts, read 709,663 times
Quote:
I used to think that suburban white women were the key to Democratic victories, but the 2016 election changed that for me forever. About 70% of white women voted for Trump in 2016. No wonder Democrats stay losing.

Quote:
Well stated.

Quote:
With 70% of white women feeling exactly the way you do, I wonder why Democrats continue to focus on flipping suburban white women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
You guys make Georgia sound like a very racist backward place. Im not saying that it is or it isnt just saying what I am reading here.
I find that Southern whites in a way are more tolerant than whites elsewhere even if it doesn't appear that way on the surface. White and black southerners interact with each other on a daily basis. It's easier to appear not to be racist when you're never around someone different than you.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 AM

711 posts, read 683,717 times
Quote:
If she were for lowering taxes and easing the burden of government regulation, etc., then she would have said it, but I wasn't reading that.
Why do you want to lower taxes? It's something politicians promise, but lowering taxes means you're cutting an essential service like education or infrastructure, which Georgia desperately needs to make investments in. And what regulations are in the way of what's considered one of the most business friendly states in the country, which is why we have so many Fortune 500 companies headquartered here?

Come back to comment after you've actually taken time to read her platform on her well-organized site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia