Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,887 times

Advertisements

Races in Rome:

White Non-Hispanic (59.2%)
Black (27.7%)
Hispanic (10.3%)
Other race (5.6%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
American Indian (0.7%)
Asian Indian (0.5%)

It's actually full of a broad mix of under-educated, under-employed people. And with the racial makeup being what it is, everybody in Rome gets credit for its high crime rate.

Last edited by Georgia; 01-15-2007 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Removing quote from deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 PM

89 posts, read 122,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Races in Rome:

White Non-Hispanic (59.2%)
Black (27.7%)
Hispanic (10.3%)
Other race (5.6%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
American Indian (0.7%)
Asian Indian (0.5%)

It's actually full of a broad mix of under-educated, under-employed people. And with the racial makeup being what it is, everybody in Rome gets credit for its high crime rate.
I get to see a lot of Rome everytime I go through it because I got stopped at every trafficlight it seems. I just couldnt see why anyone would want to live there. It doesnt seem like theres a whole lot of well paying jobs. I just would never move there if I had a choice.

Last edited by Georgia; 01-15-2007 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Racial

Old 01-14-2007, 10:13 AM

64 posts, read 710,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkbush View Post
I don't understand why someone posted these places as the best to live. I'm not sure if he is THAT informed.

in GA.Best places to live:
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Cleveland- Good place to buy real estate
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live:
- Albany
- Dawson
- Bambridge
- Decatur
- Marietta
- Conyers
- Lithonia
- Bankhead
-Barnesville

I am from Americus Ga and live in Providence RI. Americus is the home to Habatat for Humanity. I go home a few times a year. Americus is a very beautiful Victorian town and you can get a historic house --a fixer upper for a song. The winters are absolutely great--summer is like an oven. There's not much in the way of resturants and shopping--(only a superwalmart) for that you would have to travel to Albany--40 minutes away---but if you are looking for a quality quiet life-Americus is a good place to live. Resturants: Le Hacienda (Mexican) Granny's Kitchen for good southern food and Glady's Kitchen--soul food--for the best fried chicken in the south! You can buy nearly everything in the grocery that you can find in larger cities.

My opinion (Brink Bush)

These are mountain towns--pretty and quiet.--in the mountains.
- Young Harris
- Dahlonega
- Cleveland- Good place to buy real estate

These places are horrible and in the middle of nowhere.
- Fitzgerald
- Waycross

Worst Places to live: (according to larryb)

- Albany--nice, ecomomically happening, much of the historic areas are destroyed--two Starbucks stores in the city! ---people there are really trying to make something happen with the downtown.
- Dawson--small beautiful town, many historic houses worth seeing--30 miles from Albany. (Major producer of peanut butter)
- Bambridge--near Atlanta--don't know.
- Decatur--some parts are nice--Little 5 Points is quite bohemian.
- Marietta-suburban Atlanta--crowed.
- Conyers-suburban Atlanta--spread out-
- Lithonia--don't know
- Bankhead--don't know
-Barnesville--near Macon--lookes like from the website they are really trying to make it a happening place.

Macon Ga is a pre-Civil War city. It is very historic and very very beautiful and a great place to live--a historic treasure.
Albany is one of the worst cities per capita in the US for crime. If by "soul food" you mean southern cooking, you can get that anywhere in Ga. I guess the best and worst depends on what you want and your opinion. Everybody is different.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:25 AM

34 posts, read 240,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by replantedinsc View Post
I visited Atlanta recently and was horrified by what I saw there; the crime is scary there. The vibes are bad; the other drivers were among the worst I've ever seen . I could not wait to leave ATL.
I thought ATL would be a great place to relocate because of the opportunities there. I am SOOOO glad that my husband vetoed both Atlanta and FL when we discussed relocation two years ago. Whew! That was close.
So where did you choose to live? We are military and looking for a good place to retire, not to mention we will only be in our early 40s.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 AM

17 posts, read 136,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCHAEDLER View Post
I should have put likes and dislikes. Sorry, I come from CT and it is the size of a county in Ga so not much chance of having many choices.
I live in a town with >10,000. I have lived in a town with 50K and liked them both.
I am a Mom of 4 so:
good schools
safe town
population <50K
I just want a nice place to live without problems. No town with factories that produce odor. This may sound funny but I was told by others that some areas have this problem. Smell. Is that even true!?!
Your background indicates a good fit would be Athens, GA home of the University of Georgia. The metropolitan area is slightly over 100,000 and the community is liberal. You will come in contact with people from all over the world.

With children, a person should consider surrounding communities since most distances are less than 20-30 minutes. The public schools in Oconee have an excellent reputation. The Athens community offers programs from 4 college/universities and one excellent vocational school.

Medical facilities and professionals are as good as you will find any where in Georgia.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 255,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwd View Post
5 Best in Southwest Georgia: (in no particular order)
Moultrie: Lowest Cost of Living
Thomasville
Tifton
Valdosta..........Highest Cost of Living
Leesburg

5 Worst:
Fort Gains
Americus
Albany............High Crime, High Cost of Living
Dawson
Lumpkin
ALBANY. high cost of living? you have to be kidding me... yeah, maybe if you're from Somalia... the most expensive apartment there was only like $600 a month for a 2 bedroom...

Old 01-15-2007, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 19,239 times
- Albany--nice, ecomomically happening, much of the historic areas are destroyed--two Starbucks stores in the city! ---people there are really trying to make something happen with the downtown.

sorry, this just made me laugh, the excitement over 2 starbucks in a city. isnt one in a hospital?

Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Whats with the crime problem in south and central Georgia? Sorry but Macon has a crime index of 700, not a safe city! Houses cost almost nothing in Macon due to the insane crime! Well there doesnt appear to be many safe areas, all the affordable areas have a serious crime problem. I dont want to live near Atlanta, very high crime city/area

Old 01-24-2007, 02:20 PM

141 posts, read 981,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec31 View Post
Your background indicates a good fit would be Athens, GA home of the University of Georgia. The metropolitan area is slightly over 100,000 and the community is liberal. You will come in contact with people from all over the world.

With children, a person should consider surrounding communities since most distances are less than 20-30 minutes. The public schools in Oconee have an excellent reputation. The Athens community offers programs from 4 college/universities and one excellent vocational school.

Medical facilities and professionals are as good as you will find any where in Georgia.
I will second this assertion. Athens metro is my favorite part of Georgia, and Oconee schools are excellent.

Just about the only drawback to the area is the frequency with which one has to be in contact with Atlanta. Want to go anywhere? Have to go into/through Atlanta. I love Athens, but Atlanta is horrible. Also, no mountains/scenery, if that is important.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 73,052 times
Default Too Spread Out-

I've lived here for 11 years now and its home by all means but the one thing that I dont like about Atl is that everthing is so SPREAD out. I didnt really experience anything different until I went to ST. Louis. In STL everthing is close, its extremely boring up there to me but most things are close to each other there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia