Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 02:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times

Advertisements

The idea of death is not a superior to the idea of life. One of my kids was having problems when they were a teenager...She went to see a shrink...I spoke to the doctor and asked what the problem was...she described depression simply "She is hopeless"

Hope is a wonderful thing- even if you see nothing positive in the future...but there is the glimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel...you carry on..and with hope it increases the chances of happiness. For a sane person to murder themselves shows one thing..that they have no hope..that simple little spark of light in the distance.

To kill yourself thinking that darkness and oblivion is some sort of peace and comfort is a mistake. All those that I have known who committed suicide all regretted the action..My oldest brothers father in law was a worn out old farmer with money stored away..His hands were in the noose attempting to get the thing off...it was to late.

My nephew killed himself- He slashed himself and attempted to bleed out..He wandered into the woods and died from the cold..The signs were clear the young man was struggling to get back to the house..the blood trail was in an incomplete large circle...He did not make it.

Simply put - to kill your self is to spit in the eye of God...to insult and harm those around you- it is stupid and it is evil.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:14 PM

Having once been forced by the courts to perform a lot of hours of community service...I took on the task of taking care of a young guy named Scott...He was confined to a children's hospital. Most of them were teenagers...Scott could not walk...He could not talk and he drooled...He was in a car crash as a little boy and had suffered a brain stem injury...I was shrewd to knock off the hours I would bring him home to our house for the weekend. Scott could not speak - he communicated through a Bliss Board.

Scott and my wife became good friends..he also got very close to me- We would pack him up and take him four wheeling in the Jeep...He loved it- could not stop laughing. He had a favorite nurse at the hospital named Laura...I inserted her name into one of my recordings..He was thrilled...Once in a while I would get the guy a straw and he would have some Southern Comfort.....I had to put Scott on the toilet and take him off.....He was one of the happiest guys I have ever known- He could not walk or talk - but no way in hell did he want to die.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Having once been forced by the courts to perform a lot of hours of community service...I took on the task of taking care of a young guy named Scott...He was confined to a children's hospital. Most of them were teenagers...Scott could not walk...He could not talk and he drooled...He was in a car crash as a little boy and had suffered a brain stem injury...I was shrewd to knock off the hours I would bring him home to our house for the weekend. Scott could not speak - he communicated through a Bliss Board.

Scott and my wife became good friends..he also got very close to me- We would pack him up and take him four wheeling in the Jeep...He loved it- could not stop laughing. He had a favorite nurse at the hospital named Laura...I inserted her name into one of my recordings..He was thrilled...Once in a while I would get the guy a straw and he would have some Southern Comfort.....I had to put Scott on the toilet and take him off.....He was one of the happiest guys I have ever known- He could not walk or talk - but no way in hell did he want to die.
And that is wonderful if THEY can deal with whatever life throws at them. We are ALL different and ALL have different breaking points.

It should be a choice. Life is not meant to be endured but enjoyed. I don't see it as an endurance test just for the hell of it.

Once again if people want to live no matter what then of course it is up to them. And kudos to them . But nobody should be forced to live against their will , that is barbaric , evil and so, so misguided. Because I am ME. Not someone else.

Until someone walks not only in my shoes but my mind, and my perception and experience of MY life nobody has the right to tell me to suffer just because it makes them feel good and righteous.

When I sometimes feel like life is almost too much to bear I just close my eyes take a deep breath and feel comfort and relief that I have a choice, an option and way out. I would probably be in an asylum now if I thought I never had this to hold on to when it gets so very dark.

And so far it has worked for me. Because I do feel still able to make those decisions I can still find a little hope and relief in the darkness. The thought of suicide keeps me stronger. Not weaker.

Of course some people who commit suicide regret it. That is called statistics. Perhaps also because many make that decision purely through emotions. I make mine through logic and reason. I have thought about it, examined all the pros and cons and really ruminated over it for years. It is freeing and incredibly helpful to me to have freedom. It is about the only true freedom I have. The ultimate freedom in fact.

Many people who commit suicide do it with a great deal of thought and regrets will never come into it. We are not all alike, little clones of each other. I experience my life a different way people do. What is important to me might not be so to others. And vice versa.

Nobody shouldbe coerced into suicide because that is murder. But Euthanasia and Suicide are not murder. They are often sadly the only humane solution to a problem nobody can solve. Sad and regrettable , absolutely. Immoral and sinful. NO.

I cannot spit in the eye of a God I do not believe exist. That is just ridiculous. I am not sure why it is stupid either ?!?

So everyone basically should just follow the dictates of YOUR heart rather than theirs ? How very egocentric and rather narrow minded. Because you know what is best for someone who you know nothing about.

Death does not frighten me in the slightest. Never did even at the peak ofmy health and fitness. Death is simply oblivion and the process of physiological decay. The end of the road. For all of us.

I don't want eternal life and I do not need the approval of a God who is not real and his followers.

What I want is a good quality of life, to be as good a human being as I can be whilst on this planet, to laugh, love, be loved and the right to a life withoutexcruciating, debilitating pain and indignity. Does not seem that evil to me. Those who cannot grasp this basic concept should just butt out and mind their own lives. I have no desire to interfere in theirs so leave mine alone. If people really do not mind being doubly incontinent, in agony 24 hours a day or vegetables with no quality of life and prefer longevity instead then I have no issue with them holding on for dear life.

But it is not for me. Ultimately it is my choice. Anything else is just a form of physical and mental torture , a sadistic expectation that we should all be the same. I reject that 100%.

I find it weird actually that usually the most vocal advocates of "Freedom", "personal responsability" "the free market", "libertarianism",etc... are those who seek to impose their values on others. "Freedom for me" really seems to be the motto of those people. Not much freedom there.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-30-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
And that is wonderful if THEY can deal with whatever life throws at them. We are ALL different and ALL have different breaking points.

It should be a choice. Life is not meant to be endured but enjoyed. I don't see it as an endurance test just for the hell of it.

Once again if people want to live no matter what then of course it is up to them. And kudos to them . But nobody should be forced to live against their will , that is barbaric , evil and so, so misguided. Because I am ME. Not someone else.

Until someone walks not only in my shoes but my mind, and my perception and experience of MY life nobody has the right to tell me to suffer just because it makes them feel good and righteous.

When I sometimes feel like life is almost too much to bear I just close my eyes take a deep breath and feel comfort and relief that I have a choice, an option and way out. I would probably be in an asylum now if I thought I never had this to hold on to when it gets so very dark.

And so far it has worked for me. Because I do feel still able to make those decisions I can still find a little hope and relief in the darkness. The thought of suicide keeps me stronger. Not weaker.

Of course some people who commit suicide regret it. That is called statistics. Perhaps also because many make that decision purely through emotions. I make mine through logic and reason. I have thought about it, examined all the pros and cons and really ruminated over it for years. It is freeing and incredibly helpful to me to have freedom. It is about the only true freedom I have. The ultimate freedom in fact.

Many people who commit suicide do it with a great deal of thought and regrets will never come into it. We are not all alike, little clones of each other. I experience my life a different way people do. What is important to me might not be so to others. And vice versa.

Nobody shouldbe coerced into suicide because that is murder. But Euthanasia and Suicide are not murder. They are often sadly the only humane solution to a problem nobody can solve. Sad and regrettable , absolutely. Immoral and sinful. NO.

I cannot spit in the eye of a God I do not believe exist. That is just ridiculous. I am not sure why it is stupid either ?!?

So everyone basically should just follow the dictates of YOUR heart rather than theirs ? How very egocentric and rather narrow minded. Because you know what is best for someone who you know nothing about.

Death does not frighten me in the slightest. Never did even at the peak ofmy health and fitness. Death is simply oblivion and the process of physiological decay. The end of the road. For all of us.

I don't want eternal life and I do not need the approval of a God who is not real and his followers.

What I want is a good quality of life, to be as good a human being as I can be whilst on this planet, to laugh, love, be loved and the right to a life withoutexcruciating, debilitating pain and indignity. Does not seem that evil to me. Those who cannot grasp this basic concept should just butt out and mind their own lives. I have no desire to interfere in theirs so leave mine alone. If people really do not mind being doubly incontinent, in agony 24 hours a day or vegetables with no quality of life and prefer longevity instead then I have no issue with them holding on for dear life.

But it is not for me. Ultimately it is my choice. Anything else is just a form of physical and mental torture , a sadistic expectation that we should all be the same. I reject that 100%.

I find it weird actually that usually the most vocal advocates of "Freedom", "personal responsability" "the free market", "libertarianism",etc... are those who seek to impose their values on others. "Freedom for me" really seems to be the motto of those people. Not much freedom there.
Saw the I don't believe in God thing coming from a mile away. So you figure leaping into oblivion is freedom hugh. I mentioned the God idea because it was to show thankfulness- I don't care if there are things that have to be endured...we are physical beings not flighty ghosts...we are of matter and matter in the composition of a human being is imperfect. We are bio machines intentionally made to be defective...so what...I am glad to be here. You seem well spoken but you don't fool me- You have a problem with being alive...seems you never really learned to enjoy life..to enjoy the simple things.

Who ever said we are free anyway...we are interdependent on ever atom around us. It is not free to have to eat or sh*t...It is not free to be forced by nature and life itself to breathe. There is no such thing as freedom or free domain over anything or any one.

That's the point, NOTHINGNESS is not freedom...You are delusional- I don't seek freedom...I seek to live..and in living I am a slave to life- amen. You must accept your humanity...You don't believe in God? Well at least believe in yourself and man up to life.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
... All those that I have known who committed suicide all regretted the action...
If they are dead how can they regret anything? More importantly, how do you know what these people are feeling after their deaths?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
How do we know that some that commit suicide regret it?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
Suicide is almost always associated with mental health issues and bad circumstances in life leading to it. I have been recently debating weather a mentally stable person can use reasons/facts to determine they should commit suicide?

I personally think people could have nothing wrong with them but end up deciding suicide is a good a choice as any in life. The basic is idea is a person weighs the Pros and Cons of continuing to live life. If the Cons out weighs the Pros, they person can accurately make the judgement it isn't worth living any more. Here is good site with more detailed info: Rational Suicide.

What do you guys think of this topic?
You do realize that taking your own life is against the law.... They find you dead by your own hand, you could end up in prison for life.

I would guess it is possible for a sane person to decide to end it all. But, another concept also says that they very best day of your life is still ahead of you. If you end it all, you won't be there for it. And, if you're not there for it, you will have no idea what you missed. Aren't you just a bit curious?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I stand by what I said. Under no circumstances would I ever assist someone with suicide. Life is hard. We all feel like giving up sometimes but we should be able to reach out to others and get encouragement not a bullet. I mean what about caring about another human being? When did that stop being fashionable???
Then don't. But you don't have the right to prevent someone who wants to die peacefully from receiving assisted suicide.

Quote:
Human life is precious. Animals are food and companions. Kill the animals for meat and while you're at it get me a new leather jacket. I had Popeyes for lunch and yesterday I had some great sushi.
Humans don't need to eat meat to survive. There are millions of vegetaraians and vegans who haven't eaten meat for decades and they are still alive and healthy. Why destroy animal life when you don't need to?
Oh wait, you think it's okay to kill when it's convenient FOR YOU. Hypocrite.

Quote:
I'm allowed to speak my mind. This is America!

Also we're talking about suicide not what fancy fella or gal you're dating. People should care about one another. I can't believe people are jumping down my throat because I give a you-know-what about whether someone dies.
I live in Australia.

Do you care if a prostitute wants to commit suicide? What if a woman who had an abortion wants to commit suicide? I'm guessing that you will conveniently say no.

Quote:
I'm appalled that no else is appalled. Murder is okay? Assisted suicide is never okay. Encouraging death is wrong there is no way that something so grave and serious can be okay. Perhaps we shall agree to disagree.
Murder is defined as killing with malicious intent. A person who willingly commits suicide doesn't fit this description. You can't re-define words just to suit yourself.

Maybe you should mind your own business.

Quote:
A sheltered life? Hardly. Think again. I've been in the hospital and have lost the ability to walk as a child.

I stand by what I've said because one has to when faced with adversary. Its easy to stand on principals when not faced with delimnas.
*principles not principals
*dilemmas not delimnas

That still doesn't give you the right to tell people what to do with their lives.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
You do realize that taking your own life is against the law.... They find you dead by your own hand, you could end up in prison for life.

I would guess it is possible for a sane person to decide to end it all. But, another concept also says that they very best day of your life is still ahead of you. If you end it all, you won't be there for it. And, if you're not there for it, you will have no idea what you missed. Aren't you just a bit curious?
A person suffering from terminal end-stage cancer has no hope for a better life.

I don't agree with suicide for superficial reasons like divorce, breaking up with a bf/gf, failing an exam, losing a job etc. but to deny someone who is suffering from an incurable sickness that will slowly and painfully kill them is just pointless and cruel.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Yes I do. I know two perfectly healthy and happy people who committed suicide. One guy was a cop and found out his whole family died In a natural disaster while he was saving other people in the disaster and he shot himself right on the spot. Events can change you, turn you into someone you never thought you were capable of being, do things you never thought you could do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates