Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

So the takeaway from the last few posts (for me) is who's gaining anything from all this? The public? Nope. The kids? Nope. The counties who have to budget and maintain everything? Nope. The police who have to staff a complete full time unit just for S.O.'s? Nope.
Prisons,doctors (psych),news networks,talk shows and two or 3 TV "advocates" and elected officials? Bingo!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

39 posts, read 56,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Why are sex offenders singled out?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
I say no, unless you are willing to publish all offenders, burglars, domestic violence, baby killers, all of em or none of em.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Peeing outside means you don't respect yourself?

Have you told every hiker, camper and homesteader ever?

geeze Louise, there is always someone who takes it way over to the other side of the spectrum...

I was talking about people peeing in public....not campers, hikers or homesteaders.....

Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I say no, unless you are willing to publish all offenders, burglars, domestic violence, baby killers, all of em or none of em.
If I'm moving, I want to know if there are any sex offenders living in the area, that I choose not to move to....

you cannot compare a burglar to a sex offender....

Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If I'm moving, I want to know if there are any sex offenders living in the area, that I choose not to move to....

but you will only know about the ones who are LAW ABIDING and required to register. You won't know about the weird uncle who might live down the street who hasn't been caught

Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

Maybe the burglar is a sex offender.

Recidivism
A 2002 study by the United States Department of Justice indicated that recidivism rates among sex offenders was 5.3 percent; that is, about 1 in 19 of released sex offenders were later arrested for another sex crime. The same study mentioned that 68 percent of released non-sex offenders were rearrested for any crime (both sex and non-sex offenses), while 43 percent of the released sex offenders were rearrested for any crime (and 24 percent re-convicted).[3]
Sex offender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You start down this road, then you're going to want to know who has a drug conviction (could be meth or heroin), who is receiving mental health counseling, the list can go on and on. Many offenders work their way into single mother families, boyfriends etc., teachers at the school. Dangers are everywhere. Supervise your kids the best you can, and promote an open dialogue, so they will tell you if someone touches them in a sexual way. The danger may very well be the child next door, he won't have a record, and if he does, it's sealed.

Last edited by claudhopper; 01-24-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Yes, name, picture, offense,& residence info all should be public.
even a notice posted in orange on the door of their residence.

Even this site give info on sex offenders.
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Duluth-Minnesota.html

[SIZE=-1]Information regarding Level 3 Predatory Offenders is posted on this site according to Minnesota Statutes 244.052. Law enforcement agencies decide, on a case-by-case basis what information is to be posted. The Department of Corrections will post offender information no later than 48 hours after receiving it from law enforcement. Please use one of the search methods below to retrieve information about Level 3 Predatory Offenders in a selected area.[/SIZE]

Level 3 Predatory Offender Search

Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yes, name, picture, offense,& residence info all should be public.
even a notice posted in orange on the door of their residence.

Even this site give info on sex offenders.
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Duluth-Minnesota.html

[SIZE=-1]Information regarding Level 3 Predatory Offenders is posted on this site according to Minnesota Statutes 244.052. Law enforcement agencies decide, on a case-by-case basis what information is to be posted. The Department of Corrections will post offender information no later than 48 hours after receiving it from law enforcement. Please use one of the search methods below to retrieve information about Level 3 Predatory Offenders in a selected area.[/SIZE]

Level 3 Predatory Offender Search
A misdemeanor of indecent assault will put a person on the registry as a tier 3 in PA under AWA..all the accuser had to do was claim she was under 13 when it supposedly happened. I know someone who was falsely accused in just such a way. because she claims she was under 13, he 's a tier 3, but she claims he felt her breast over clothing when she was 8...make any sense? nope, and I've read the transcripts.
But then a lot of the sex offender registration laws don't make any sense, that's why there's so many lawsuits

Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Oh and of course, there's the other innocents to think of as well. Putting signs and such on a person's house puts the lives of their families and loved one in danger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates