Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:46 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Honestly, what difference does it make why a person wants to end their life? It's still an individual decision. I've seen botched suicides. These people are a burden to the health care system and to society for the rest of their unaware lives. Why is quantity more important than quality in every case? Not every one is religious yet we are forced into being kept alive because of religious beliefs. I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are kinder to our sick animals in this society than we are to suffering human beings that should have the right to chose a humane death if they wish. I think Dr. Kevorkian was right.
Kudz made some good points. In general, I tend to agree with you on this topic, until you decided to bash religion. That is also a choice people are free to make and needn't seek your approval for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I see a parallel between assisted suicide and abortion. In both cases there is human life, but in a self-determined way, degraded human life.

I'm certain most Pro-Lifers would be against any assisted suicide. I'm the opposite, it is a great comfort to know that when I'm old and suffering, my doctor can help me pass peacefully when I'm ready.
No, I am about making your own choices in life and accepting responsibility for them. A baby is not given that choice, or that opportunity.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, I am about making your own choices in life and accepting responsibility for them.
A baby is not given that choice, or that opportunity.
If you're now referring to the choice in abortion rights...
that choice and right lies with the woman who actually exists (not a baby that doesn't).

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once that diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds if/when even available HI won't pay)

The right to make the choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
We have assisted suicide here in Oregon, but it would not have worked for the Belgium brothers. Our law requires that you be terminally ill.
Death with Dignity Act | Death with Dignity Act
I personally think that anyone should be able to end their life for any reason. For someone to take that extreme a measure, I would have to believe that they no longer found life bearable and did not want to continue. None of my business why. I would hope that they get counseling and evaluation to see if their situation can be ameliorated, but if they don't, again, not my business.
We could end suicide watch for inmates. Save the taxpayers a lot of dough. The gov't would never go for that though, they'd lose a cheap labor force.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you're now referring to the choice in abortion rights...
that choice and right lies with the woman who actually exists (not a baby that doesn't).

Safe... Legal... Rare... Prompt... Free

Rare by means of far better education and use of contraception than we have today.
Aside from the million conceptions lamented so thoroughly in this thread...
there are probably another million similarly ill considered conceptions to be avoided... that aren't.

Prompt because once that diligent, educated try to avoid conception line has been crossed...
and the choice to exercise the right has been made... NO ONE gains from delay.

Free because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds if/when even available HI won't pay)

The right to make the choice without the ability to exercise it... isn't much of a choice at all.
IMO she made that choice when she got pregnant. Let's not get into a battle about abortion. It's not really on topic.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Just wait, won't be long, when Medicare/Medicaid funding evaporates in the U.S!!! And then? Some of Hitler's ideas may even be adopted! And I hope I live long enough for that to happen, particularly if I keep procrastinating on filling out my Advance Health Directives where I won't be of sound mind to sign them.
Then? Totally incapacitated, kicking myself for procrastinating too long, cursing God, a kind, caring nurse comes to my bed some night with a lethal injection, masqueraded as a pain shot! Kisses and hugs to the Government for government-forced-euthanasia!

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility and that's one hot potato of a discussion you never bring up in one of these facilities, as the Administrators have panic attacks if the facility has one or two empty beds. And I've seen the utter desperation to secure their jobs, even with someone with a DNR in their file, they'll still try all they can to keep that "headcount" alive! There's a word for that: Criminal!

The enemies of assisted suicide laws in this country, it's not the religious Right, but the God-less, greedy, insensitive, uncaring nursing and medical institutions. These money-hungry nurses with their I Care buttons attached to their uniforms!

I think they should liberalize assisted suicide laws to match that famous clinic in Switzerland, and even if you've forever suffered from lingering depression, you're eligible!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:16 AM

585 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
We could end suicide watch for inmates. Save the taxpayers a lot of dough. The gov't would never go for that though, they'd lose a cheap labor force.
Really? - You must have some pretty high-value convicts.

Does the amount of money you can make from a convict who makes (for instance) wardrobes exceed the full cost of incarceration?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
At these new SuperMax prisons, they've even made them suicide-proof. Those hooks you put clothes on are designed to come out of the wall if too much weight is put on them, to prevent hangings! Now that's a crime in itself, not allowing an inmate to choose between suicide and raping the taxpayers of $40-50k a year in taxes! And you can't even starve yourself to death in prison, either, or you'll be tube-fed!

It's not so much losing a cheap labor source, it's the prison unions: job security!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,540 times
I think prisoners should be allowed to choose suicide if they want. I would rather die than spend a lifetime in prison. Everyone wins! It will save millions in taxpayer money, which can be diverted to fund more useful things.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Yes. My body belongs to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates