Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
and see that is where, as NCN would have said, we would have said nothing or changed the subject. and gone about our training. no harm, no foul.

don't know why this person stared daggers at a politely offered dissenting opinion although you never know what is in another person's heart or why they feel so vehement about it.

so we just let it go or excuse ourselves if it is close to being said.
The blow up about muslems and so forth was certainly not called for. Nor was it respectful of the survivor. You can't walk in her shoes, but you can respect her horrible experience. I don't think it would be respectful to ask questions either, unless the person shows they wish to answer.

And acknowlegment of what 'jean' went through would be in order, a quiet comment about how terrible an experience it was or so on. Not any kind of rant. If the person felt as strongly, they still needed to chill. The saddest person was not the survivor, but the ranter, for having all that hate in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yeah, those bitter feuds and rivalries do seem to be a particularly southern thang... and they sure do like to fight, from lingering Civil War resentments, to the Hatfields and McCoys, and even that most famous and most bitter of sports feuds, the infamous Auburn-Alabama Rivalry, which for many southerners, approaches religious proportions! And apparently their ancestors in Scottish clans predating the American Revolution, had a similar longstanding tradition of ancient feuds. Its a tradition going back even to the Romans, who eventually got sick of constantly skirmishing with 'em all the time, and finally erected Hadrian's Wall all along the English-Scots border!

Of course the other side of that, is that the south, and the ''sons of the south'' from other parts of the country, have often fought our wars for us too!

Absolutely! Our armed forces are all volunteer now and a disproportionate number of our troops hail from the south.

There are many reasons for this, and it is interesting to examine them.

One would be a familiarity with guns. In a northern or west coast suburb, a typical gift for an 18 year old boy might range from a car,something music or sports oriented,a computer or other electronic device.

In the South it is frequently a firearm.

Southerners like and respect formality and authority. They were raised that way. Yes sir, no ma'am. And that fits well into the military.

Southerners also adore formality and pageantry. They dress up for church, favor short well groomed hair for men, and elaborate "Big Hair" for women. They set their tables with precision and adhere to tradition more than most people do. Their gardens are tended with care and they are a source of pride for many southern women.

Beauty Pageants are a deeply ingrained part of Southern Culture. They are formal, confer titles, require discipline and adherence to conformity and a particular standard of female beauty that might well be described as high maintenance.

The military incorporates many of these features into it's culture. Formality, celebration of tradition, conformity, and discipline.

I am not implying that any of this is wrong or bad, In fact I adhere to certain values alluded to above and some southern friends have said that I am a Southern Girl deep down inside. But trust me, I'm not.

What I am saying is that given the interests and proclivities of Southerners, it does not surprise me that they are attracted to, and do well in, the military.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-18-2013 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes there is a Southern Culture and I enjoy some of it, but not all of it.Denying that it is separate and distinct is not a good thing. It's pretending that we are all the same, when in fact, we are not.

The South values hierarchy, history, tradition and conservatism. Many southerners who I know, absolutely define themselves differently that do northerners.Many of them call us Northerners "Yankees" where as I'd be hard pressed to find a northerner call southerners "Rebels". We just do not define ourselves by the Civil War.

I would really have no problem if the southern states succeeded from the nation. Their religiously infused right-wing politics is not helping our country.

I don't center my life around church, I am not fearful of immigrants, I think that Gay people are born that way and I do not think that outsiders are to be feared.

Also, it seems to be a very violent culture, from the popularity of guns, to the way that their children are disciplined with belts, paddles and switches. Rven inside public schools.

I love parts of southern culture especially the Southern Gothic novel. However, other parts do not sit well with me.
Yankees? Yes, I hear that name being used. Except it's when baseball is being discussed and I'm pretty sure that's the correct name of the team and not some Southerner trying to insult anyone. I agree with you, it's doubtful that any Northerner would call a Southerner a Rebel. Especially when they can just call them stupid and uneducated as they normally do.

Are there some people in the South (and in every other part of the country) who are highly religious? Yep, there are and not all of them are Christians. The politicians who support the so-called Christian right are more interested in political power than any religious belief. If you've failed to notice that politicians on both sides will pander to get votes regardless of their personal views, you haven't been paying attention.

1950 called and wanted to remind you it's 2013. In 1950, parents in EVERY part of the country saw nothing wrong with the style of discipline you described and educators were happy to participate. Things have evolved since then. In 2013, few parents anywhere discipline with physical punishment and if a teacher tried they'd be fired and sued by the ACLU.

You've been reading too many Southern Gothic novels. You need to learn to separate fiction from reality.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! Our armed forces are all volunteer now and a disproportionate number of our troops hail from the south.

One would be a familiarity with guns. In a northern or west coast suburb, a typical gift for an 18 year old boy might range from a car,something music or sports oriented,a computer or other electronic device.

Southerners like and respect formality and authority. They were raised that way. Yes sir, no ma'am. And that fits well into the military.

Southerners also adore formality and pageantry. They dress up for church, favor short well groomed hair for men, and elaborate "Big Hair" for women. They set their tables with precision and adhere to tradition more than most people do. Their gardens are tended with care and they are a source of pride for many southern women.

Beauty Pageants are a deeply ingrained part of Southern Culture. They are formal, confer titles, require discipline and adherence to conformity and a particular standard of female beauty that might well be described as high maintenance.

The military incorporates many of these features into it's culture. Formality, celebration of tradition, conformity, and discipline.

I am not implying that any of this is wrong or bad, In fact I adhere to certain values alluded to above and some southern friends have said that I am a Southern Girl deep down inside. But trust me, I'm not.

What I am saying is that given the interests and proclivities of Southerners, it does not surprise me that they are attracted to, and do well in, the military.
This made me LOL. I've lived in the South (Charlotte NC) for more than 30 years. I have 2 kids who are in their 20s, multiple nieces and nephews and a large circle of friends. I have been to hundreds of birthday parties for 16-21 year olds, high school and college graduation parties, engagement and wedding parties, first job celebrations etc. and have never had a parent or anyone reply to the "so, what did you get them" question with "a gun". I've heard the ones you mentioned in addition to other gifts that represent some interest of the recipient just never a gun. Either I associate with very different types of people than you do or you're spinning tales to fit your view of all Southerners.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There does seem to be a very high violent crime rate. Especially crimes against children.They defiantly discipline their kids differently. For a while we thought about moving to a southern state, but when we found out that they used wooden paddles in schools, there was no way that we were making that move.

You are MISINFORMED! Corporal Punishment is NOT ALLOWED in public schools in the SOUTH! I have 3 kids in public school just outside of Atlanta and sometimes I wish they would spank them, the DON'T!!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
This made me LOL. I've lived in the South (Charlotte NC) for more than 30 years. I have 2 kids who are in their 20s, multiple nieces and nephews and a large circle of friends. I have been to hundreds of birthday parties for 16-21 year olds, high school and college graduation parties, engagement and wedding parties, first job celebrations etc. and have never had a parent or anyone reply to the "so, what did you get them" question with "a gun". I've heard the ones you mentioned in addition to other gifts that represent some interest of the recipient just never a gun. Either I associate with very different types of people than you do or you're spinning tales to fit your view of all Southerners.
Yes, most people I grew up with in MS who were given guns were given those guns MUCH younger than 18. It's not uncommon for 12 year-olds or 13 year-olds to be given guns. One girl I grew up with has her 8 year-old shooting, and another has her 7 year-old going hunting with his own gun. Rural MS is a different world than most Americans experience. I was shooting at 10, and I think my husband was about that age when he started.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:

What book/movie (maybe Gone with the Wind) did you get this out of Sheena? In looking at your back posts obviously you are not a "Southern Girl"; please enlighten us on your source of knowledge of Southern life.
Being in the South for almost 60 years I can honestly say you have no clue about the area. My experience is for the most part; Southern Culture is pretty much "Gone with the Wind" as our area is pretty much like any other similar area in the US. Not only do I base this on growing up and living in the South but extensively traveling throughout the US.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,913 times
Quote:
Yes there is a Southern Culture and I enjoy some of it, but not all of it.Denying that it is separate and distinct is not a good thing. It's pretending that we are all the same, when in fact, we are not.

The South values hierarchy, history, tradition and conservatism. Many southerners who I know, absolutely define themselves differently that do northerners.Many of them call us Northerners "Yankees" where as I'd be hard pressed to find a northerner call southerners "Rebels". We just do not define ourselves by the Civil War.

I would really have no problem if the southern states succeeded from the nation. Their religiously infused right-wing politics is not helping our country.

I don't center my life around church, I am not fearful of immigrants, I think that Gay people are born that way and I do not think that outsiders are to be feared.

Also, it seems to be a very violent culture, from the popularity of guns, to the way that their children are disciplined with belts, paddles and switches. Rven inside public schools.

I love parts of southern culture especially the Southern Gothic novel. However, other parts do not sit well with me.
Where are YOU from by the way? Maybe I can bring some things up I don't like about where you live.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Yes, most people I grew up with in MS who were given guns were given those guns MUCH younger than 18. It's not uncommon for 12 year-olds or 13 year-olds to be given guns. One girl I grew up with has her 8 year-old shooting, and another has her 7 year-old going hunting with his own gun. Rural MS is a different world than most Americans experience. I was shooting at 10, and I think my husband was about that age when he started.
Surely you're not suggesting that different regions of the South are well, different? Is it possible that rural Mississippi and Charlotte NC are different even though they're both geographically in the South? How can that possibly be? If you live in the South and I do too, how can our experiences be so different when clearly all Southerners are the same?

OK, sarcasm over. Clearly there are some people who believe that they can define people based solely on their geographic location. They believe that all Southerners talk and act the same way, enjoy the same entertainments and hobbies, raise and discipline their kids in the same way and believe the same on issues like religion, abortion, gay marriage and guns. In my experience, these people base their opinions on things like, the book they read about a Southerner or a TV show they watched or from their limited interactions with people below the Mason-Dixon line. People in the South are no more homogeneous in their views and beliefs than people in other areas of the country.

BTW, Peppermint, I see nothing wrong with people enjoying hunting or giving guns as gifts. It's a part of life where you live. My post is directed to those who think the South has no diversity of thought or culture and can be simply defined with broad brush strokes.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 02-18-2013 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
1. As previously noted, there are several regional versions of the "South", along with huge differences between some states (especially re: poverty and education levels). And these days the Atlanta area is arguably the least representative anymore, or maybe it's just become a good example of the ''New South''.

2. Intolerance of differences and other opinions is one popular stereotype of the South (aka, ''them's fightin' words!''). Are we also trying to prove whether that one's true or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates