Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

So, I have my views on this and I was interested in learning about your views as well.
A few ground rules if I may:

I'm interested in SCIENTIFIC reasons. NOT how you 'feel' about the topic...or what "god" says. I really want to know WHY you are for or against circumcision and would like to learn about the scientific reasons behind your position.

My view is that since it's not 'MY' body, I don't really have a right to modify it. I've read that circumcision 'may prevent' some types of cancer, but i'm not sure about the sources. I've also heard about cleanliness and the reduced chances of getting infection IF a newborn is circumcised.....but then again, i've heard the counter claim that it's more likely that the newborn will get infections from the circumcision itself!

What say you? Please provide sources to back your claim if possible.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-13-2015 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: Removed icon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
No circumcision in this camp. Not because of religious reasons, but because a man deserves to get all the pleasure he can get from sex, and not having the covering over the head of the penis causes a loss of sensation over time because of friction.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:49 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
I knew a guy who had to be circumcised for medical reasons when he was 45. Although scrupulous about hygiene, he managed to get some kind of infection under his foreskin, requiring its removal. He said it was the worst thing that had ever happened to him, and seeing him during his recovery, I believed him. I also was convinced that if I ever had to make that decision for an infant boy, that kid would be getting cut, just to be sure that he'd avoid being plagued with that malady and cure.

But really a moot point since I have no children.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
It's been a couple years since I researched this, so I don't remember my exact sources, but after much research and discussion, we decided to circumcise. It was a HARD decision, but one I don't regret for a second. I read many articles about it, but since the science is pretty evenly divided, we based our decision on what most men seem to prefer and that is to be circumcised. I never encountered a comment from a circumcised man that wished he wasn't, but I came across many comments from men who weren't and wished they were. Also, as the above post points out, if the case were to arise that my grown son were to need to be circumcised for medical reasons, it is incredibly painful and a much more physiologically impacting event as an adult and I would feel guilty for putting them in that position when it could have been easily prevented by a simple procedure at birth. My sons were days old when they had their procedures and were hardly affected. I don't think they even knew anything even happened to them. It's very quick and pain meds to the area make it very uneventful.

That said I don't think anyone should do it just because they think everyone else is doing it. Though rare, there are a few risks and it's always best to be fully informed of how the procedure is done (there are couple different methods) and what to expect immediately after and the week of healing that follows.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'm one of those people who did not put thought into it or research any "scientific evidence" one way or another. I had a boy 24 years ago and the nurse asked me if I wanted him circumcised and I said yes. When they brought him to my room a little later it was already done and except for debates online I've never had to think about it. My friend did fret about the decision, and put time into thinking about it before hand, and decided not to have it done. She then spent years second guessing herself and her eldest did end up having it done when he was a young teen for some reason or another. The youngest boy had no problem They are both adults now and she STILL brings it up! I guess for no other reason than not having to "wonder" was a good enough reason for me. However, I do not think it's necessary.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:39 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
This is a rubbish issue. I am not circumcised and have wished I had been ever since I was old enough to know the difference. Having it done as an adult is out of the question.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
This is a rubbish issue. I am not circumcised and have wished I had been ever since I was old enough to know the difference. Having it done as an adult is out of the question.
Why do you wish you had been?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 PM

231 posts, read 402,340 times
I am circumcised, my sons will be too, and from being in locker rooms and doing sports all throughout HS I have never seen a white person who isn't, and every girl I know considers uncut to be a turn off. If you are white and you don't want your son to be a the "wierd penis guy" in the locker room and to not be humiliated during his first sexual encounter when the girl says "ewww" then do it. If you don't, he will want to do it but be too scared to do it. There is no science behind it, it's just better looking and a cultural norm here amongst white people in the United States. It's easier maintenance, there is no pulling anything back you just clean it the same way you clean your thumb.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
I am circumcised, my sons will be too, and from being in locker rooms and doing sports all throughout HS I have never seen a white person who isn't, and every girl I know considers uncut to be a turn off. If you are white and you don't want your son to be a the "wierd penis guy" in the locker room and to not be humiliated during his first sexual encounter when the girl says "ewww" then do it. If you don't, he will want to do it but be too scared to do it. There is no science behind it, it's just better looking and a cultural norm here amongst white people in the United States. It's easier maintenance, there is no pulling anything back you just clean it the same way you clean your thumb.
This may have been true a few generations ago, but more people are choosing not to and it's about even among little boys today, so when my kids grow up some boys will be and some won't. Women's preference may also be generational as both options will be common in the future, most women might prefer one or the other or not care at all.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:32 AM

231 posts, read 402,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
This may have been true a few generations ago, but more people are choosing not to and it's about even among little boys today, so when my kids grow up some boys will be and some won't. Women's preference may also be generational as both options will be common in the future, most women might prefer one or the other or not care at all.
I am actually 20. I am of this generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates