Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times

Advertisements

A co worker of mine said his neighbor shot and killed someone that came into his home while he was sleeping tried to rob him. The burglar came in during the day thought his neighbor was at work. The burglar wasn't armed the local DA isn't going to press charges. I don't think they would get a conviction anyway in my state of Arizona. If someone comes into a home to do wrong to me he knows the risk of getting killed. A few years ago 2 men entered a home tied up a retired doctor and his wife killed both of them burned their body's in a backyard. I think I would do the same and shoot the person in my home because if they get control over you end up like those old people. Have no idea what they are going to do I don't want to risk my family. Some of my co-workers have said the homeowner should have been prosecuted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:45 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
They broke into the house .You would wait until they attack you? I would give them one very brief chance to surrender then defend myself.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 PM

19,026 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
The rights of the criminal to take the property and / or liberty of the occupant shall not be infringed, said no law ever.
. . .
Tolerance of predators is unmerciful to their next victim.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Adios m**********r! Boom! Double tap... Center mass.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:19 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Anyone who steps into another person's home without permission is subject to death by the owner or residents of said home. If a trespasser is unarmed and surrenders he should be held (if possible) for arrested but if shot, and if there are no innocent witnesses (not an accomplice to the break-in) saying he was not a threat, I would give the benefit of doubt to the home owner. This because you cannot know the state of mind of the owner and they have the ultimate right and responsibility to protect themselves in their own home.

This is the prime reason I think no knock intrusion by police is dangerous and should be illegal. If i am sleep and awakened by a noise inside my home in the dark the first thing I grab - before my clothes, shoes or phone - is my loaded gun - and I do not intend to ask first if you breaking into my home are a cop.

And yes, I think a policeman responding is under more restriction not to shoot unless it is proven that the trespasser is armed and threatening; and is not a resident fully aware of the situation.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-28-2015 at 12:33 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:42 AM

121 posts, read 101,620 times
No, he should not be prosecuted. I would do the same. Someone forfeits their right to life when they break into someone else's home with bad intentions.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Anyone who steps into another person's home without permission is subject to death by the owner or residents of said home. If a trespasser is unarmed and surrenders he should be held (if possible) for arrested but if shot, and if there are no innocent witnesses (not an accomplice to the break-in) saying he was not a threat, I would give the benefit of doubt to the home owner. This because you cannot know the state of mind of the owner and they have the ultimate right and responsibility to protect themselves in their own home.
This is why the Castle Doctrine law should be in every state. If you shoot an intruder in your home you do not need to justify your actions to LE. Typically in states without this law you have the duty to flee and can only use deadly force if that is not possible.

Quote:
This is the prime reason I think no knock intrusion by police is dangerous and should be illegal. If i am sleep and awakened by a noise inside my home in the dark the first thing I grab - before my clothes, shoes or phone - is my loaded gun - and I do not intend to ask first if you breaking into my home are a cop.
These knock down the door tactics need to stop, they are trying to preserve evidence however it's dangerous for both the homeowner and the police. The other issue is just because someone is yelling police doesn't mean they are the police. There is no reason for any cop to be entering my home and if anyone does enter yelling police the first thing going through my mind is they aren't the police. In Indiana the law is if the police enter your home illegally e.g. wrong address and you shoot them you're not liable. That is another law we need nationwide.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill.
Determining what someone's intentions are can be impossible. As far as shooting to kill if you are not going to do that you need to get rid of the gun. Once you have come to the point of pulling that trigger you better make sure you incapacitate the intruder, they may have their own gun and start shooting back if you miss or hit them in the leg or something. You shoot for the chest as that is the largest target. This is hard enough especially if the person is moving, aiming for and shooting someone in the legs only happens in the movies. There is other reasons as well, you don't want stray bullets flying off in all directions either.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:

why should they be prosecuted?

if the home owner can read minds then you would be correct, but if they cannot read minds, then the home owner has no idea what is going through the crooks mind. the crook might be thinking that they can take the gun from the home owner and murder them and still get with their crime.

shooting and killing the crook is still the best option.

my roommate and I did exactly that in the early 1990's to 2 different criminals in MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates