Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:12 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times

Advertisements

It's okay. Y'all can make fun of and insault me if you want. I knew I would be in the minority in this subject, because unfortunately murder is the only answer for most Americans these days (many who ironically claim to be pro life and Christian, but that's a topic for another day) . And assessing the situation can take seconds. You can look at a person and get a feel of them almost instantly. Hold your weapon up pointed at them, they'll decide their next course of action immediately then you choose yours, because wildly waving your gun around and shooting in the dark could result in YOU doing something you'll regret.

Father Shoots Teen Daughter Mistaken for Intruder - Your4State.com

Apartment 'intruder' shot after mistakenly visiting wrong floor, relative says | NOLA.com

If those people had taken 10 seconds to just look or ask who's there, those innocent people wouldn't have been shot. Now, what if your kid had just walked into the wrong house and been shot in the name of self-defense??

There is nothing wrong with defending yourself when NECESSARY, if the situation actually arises, but remember there is a person at the other end of your gun with a whole life and people that care about them. Maybe they have kids? Maybe their family member is terribly ill? Often stealing is out of desperation. And if you kill someone, even on your property, you should be held accountable for that death and it should be proven that it was just.

No go ahead and make fun of me some more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Trying to physically harm you, yes protect yourself. And if you are as handy with your weapon as you all claim to be, you should be able to properly assess the situation before you start firing off a bunch of rounds.

Why should the person be prosecuted? Because there are too many factors to say that anyone gets to shoot whoever they want just because they are inside their house. That is a dangerous route to take. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure. That person could be a lifelong criminal or a teenager who is a first time offender. Where was the person shot? In the front or the back? Because if he is shot in the back, particularly near an exit or from far away, that means the intruder was trying to get away and of no threat to the homeowner. Do they really deserve to die for running away? No. Was the intruder armed? Did the intruder approach the homeowner? Those are grounds for protecting yourself so fire away.

If you put a gun to an intruder one of three things will happen. One, they will wait at gunpoint until the police arrives, two, they will try to run or three they will try to attack you. Only the third scenario requires an actual firing of your weapon and again if you are as good with your gun as you all claim to be, a shot to a limb should keep them at bay until the cops arrive.

This is not a black or white, yes or no situation. And we shouldn't continue to let people get away with murder under the guise of self-protection. You should have to PROVE you were in actual danger, that your life was truly threatened.

I wonder how you would feel if your teenager or other family member made a one time stupid mistake (perfect people raise your hands) and wound up dead because some trigger happy nut was "defending his/her property." You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.

cry me a river !

Two thugs entered my cousin's house ( single mom, teen daughter, teen son)
They were trying to steal something to get only some gas money.

End result............two females raped...........three throats cut

Another thug enters an empty house around noon and the female owner about 50 surprises him by coming home at noon.
End result...........strangled to death

I lived in a low crime area and both od these happened within 40 miles of where I lived in rural Minnesota.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
And if you kill someone, even on your property, you should be held accountable for that death and it should be proven that it was just.
That is done in every case. The police investigate and a DA looks at the evidence to determine if charges should be filed or not. It's done the way you want, so I don't see what the problem is

Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
I knew the gun huggers would dislike my post. But, nope I still don't think a PERSON should die just because they are trying to steal things. Trying to physically harm you, yes protect yourself. And if you are as handy with your weapon as you all claim to be, you should be able to properly assess the situation before you start firing off a bunch of rounds.
Your post reads like the typical home invasion involves precious moments of cordial interaction between the intruder and the occupants.. it's quite maddening to try and understand your logic. You clearly haven't stepped into the outside world in forever.

Quote:
Why should the person be prosecuted? Because there are too many factors to say that anyone gets to shoot whoever they want just because they are inside their house. That is a dangerous route to take. Also, that person you killed has a family and they deserve closure. That person could be a lifelong criminal or a teenager who is a first time offender. Where was the person shot? In the front or the back? Because if he is shot in the back, particularly near an exit or from far away, that means the intruder was trying to get away and of no threat to the homeowner. Do they really deserve to die for running away? No. Was the intruder armed? Did the intruder approach the homeowner? Those are grounds for protecting yourself so fire away.
The closure is that your beloved family member broke into my home and I shot him dead. I didn't have time to discuss his life story with him - ya know, to find out how he was raised and how many brothers and sisters he has and where he would've gone to college if he had chosen a better path - sorry about that. If he wouldn't have broken into my house, we might coulda had that conversation.

Quote:
If you put a gun to an intruder one of three things will happen. One, they will wait at gunpoint until the police arrives, two, they will try to run or three they will try to attack you. Only the third scenario requires an actual firing of your weapon and again if you are as good with your gun as you all claim to be, a shot to a limb should keep them at bay until the cops arrive.
Don't you get that it's not about his best interests? It's about protecting me and my family from someone I don't know who broke into my home, my sanctuary, my safe place. Also, I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO DO A PRO-CON LAUNDRY LIST OF WHAT-IFS. It's not a freakin' tea party.

Quote:
This is not a black or white, yes or no situation. And we shouldn't continue to let people get away with murder under the guise of self-protection. You should have to PROVE you were in actual danger, that your life was truly threatened.
It is black or white, yes or no. You walked into my house, but you're not walking out.

Quote:
I wonder how you would feel if your teenager or other family member made a one time stupid mistake (perfect people raise your hands) and wound up dead because some trigger happy nut was "defending his/her property." You can teach your kids all you want, but when they are out with their friends and feel that group pressure, sometimes they get caught up in moment and make a bad decision. It happens. And they shouldn't die because of it.
I would wonder the exact opposite of you - if your teenager or other family member were the recipient of a break-in/home invasion. I don't really understand why you think home invasions typically involve someone who is just there to steal a tv. No one has time for Q&A in what could easily be a life-or-death situation. In many instances, it's decide or die. Taking your playtime scenario into consideration, that would be unfortunate, but sometimes stupid mistakes have dire consequences.

Homeowners should not be prosecuted and shamed for protecting themselves and their families from strangers in their homes. I think you need to understand that responsible gun owners don't just swing their gun at every whisp in the air, but I'm sure you would be the type to believe that based on your silly "gun huggers" moniker. The suspect's family isn't the only group of people who suffers in a home invasion situation. The homeowner (and family) has to live with the fact that they killed another person. The difference, and justification, is that the suspect lost their life because of a bad decision they made, not the homeowner. Intruder = suspect. Homeowner = victim. Not the other way around.

Last edited by NickMan7; 04-28-2015 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM

306 posts, read 517,362 times
Quote:
It's okay. Y'all can make fun of and insault me if you want. I knew I would be in the minority in this subject, because unfortunately murder is the only answer for most Americans these days (many who ironically claim to be pro life and Christian, but that's a topic for another day) . And assessing the situation can take seconds. You can look at a person and get a feel of them almost instantly. Hold your weapon up pointed at them, they'll decide their next course of action immediately then you choose yours, because wildly waving your gun around and shooting in the dark could result in YOU doing something you'll regret.

Apartment 'intruder' shot after mistakenly visiting wrong floor, relative says | NOLA.com

If those people had taken 10 seconds to just look or ask who's there, those innocent people wouldn't have been shot. Now, what if your kid had just walked into the wrong house and been shot in the name of self-defense??

There is nothing wrong with defending yourself when NECESSARY, if the situation actually arises, but remember there is a person at the other end of your gun with a whole life and people that care about them. Maybe they have kids? Maybe their family member is terribly ill? Often stealing is out of desperation. And if you kill someone, even on your property, you should be held accountable for that death and it should be proven that it was just.

You knew you would be in the minority because your arguments are ridiculous. You also have not defended any of the points that multiple posters have brought up, so either stop trolling or keep up your side of the argument. You generalized everyone here as a gun lover, when some have not shot a gun once in their life.

Your logic that you should 'wait for the intruder to introduce themselves' or 'wait until they harm you first' is not practical. Can you please tell me a scenario in which shooting an intruder is justified? Do they have to attack you first? It is all hearsay.

There are far too many cases of guys coming in, brutally raping and taping up, murdering, etc. innocent homeowners. Your robin hood fantasy of some really nice misunderstood and desperate poor man trying to steal some jewelry from the rich to support his family is complete rubbish. You have watched way too many Disney movies staying at home everyday.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Sorry, another gun hater here that completely disagrees with you. I don't own a gun, and I never will. Despite the fact that we had people offering to teach my son to shoot a bb-gun (we live in a rural area), I never allowed it. My kids were not even permitted water guns that resembled an actual gun in any way. I am what many would consider a bleeding heart liberal, but there is common law and common sense.

If someone breaks into your home, you don't have time to ask "Are you just here for the TV?" In many cases those breaking in are looking for something to sell for drug money. One doesn't have time to ask, "Are you high?" which is another issue entirely.

It's probably been 40 or so years, but this same type of incident happened in the small town where I was raised. A young thug was caught by the owner breaking into his house in the middle of the night. Young thug was shot and killed. No charges were pressed.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
You knew you would be in the minority because your arguments are ridiculous. You also have not defended any of the points that multiple posters have brought up, so either stop trolling or keep up your side of the argument. You generalized everyone here as a gun lover, when some have not shot a gun once in their life.

Your logic that you should 'wait for the intruder to introduce themselves' or 'wait until they harm you first' is not practical. Can you please tell me a scenario in which shooting an intruder is justified? Do they have to attack you first? It is all hearsay.

There are just as many cases of guys coming in, brutally raping, murdering, etc. innocent homeowners. Your robin hood situations of some really nice, but desperate and poor many trying to steal some jewelry to support his family is complete rubbish. You have watched way too many Disney movies staying at home everyday.
I already said that if your life is danger, TRUE danger, feel free to shoot them. If guns are so amazing at protecting people in their homes then, no one should be getting raped or murdered right? Especially since gun ownership is at the highest rate in US history. Oh, but it still happens daily.

And **** all of you who are belittling my point of view because I am a stay at home mom. That is a real ******* thing to do and insults do nothing to prove your points either. I don't sit around doing nothing all day. I don't watch TV all day, in fact we DON'T watch TV at all and I don't even subject my kids to that Disney garbage. I only get online when my baby needs me to hold him while he naps. Something I'm happy to do. I guess the rest of you commenting here are busy "working" right??

You guys are assuming a lot about me and making very wrong accusations.

Are there evil people that deserve to be shot and killed for doing nasty horrible things? Absolutely! But not every theif is an evil person that deserves to die. Good people do bad things sometimes. I am just trying to offer another perspective that people do want to think about, because shooting someone is easier.

AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS THIS WAY!!! I've had many reputations on my posts. I'm just the only one who will say it.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:03 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:

Your argument gives good support for training in the use of firearms, and for keeping them out of the hands of emotionally disturbed people; but it does not invalidate their proper use in self-defense.

Of course anyone who owns a gun is held responsible for mistakes committed, like waving your gun around and shooting in the dark. At the risk of stating the obvious: for self defense it is not enough to own a gun, one must train, practice, and use it properly.

But if a tragedy should occur like the ones you cite, I suggest that the homeowner is as much a victim of circumstances as the fool who walks into the wrong house. Yes, if you kill someone you should be held accountable, and if you break into a home to steal, even out of desperation, you should be held accountable too and expect to suffer the repercussions.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
And **** all of you who are belittling my point of view because I am a stay at home mom. That is a real ******* thing to do and insults do nothing to prove your points either. I don't sit around doing nothing all day. I don't watch TV all day, in fact we DON'T watch TV at all and I don't even subject my kids to that Disney garbage. I only get online when my baby needs me to hold him while he naps. Something I'm happy to do. I guess the rest of you commenting here are busy "working" right??

You know what they say, what's good for the goose. Using terms like gun hugger (which I've never heard before in my life), you are doing the same thing you accuse us of doing. Don't dish it out if you can't take it

Old 04-28-2015, 01:04 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb It isn't complicated

Quote:
I already said that if your life is danger, TRUE danger, feel free to shoot them. If guns are so amazing at protecting people in their homes then, no one should be getting raped or murdered right? Especially since gun ownership is at the highest rate in US history. Oh, but it still happens daily.

Are there evil people that deserve to be shot and killed for doing nasty horrible things? Absolutely! But not every theif is an evil person that deserves to die. Good people do bad things sometimes. I am just trying to offer another perspective that people do want to think about, because shooting someone is easier.

AND I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO FEELS THIS WAY!!! I've had many reputations on my posts. I'm just the only one who will say it.

Of course you're not the only one.

Diversity of viewpoints is the American way.

No one should be upset if you choose to remain vulnerable.

Others choosing to defend their families shouldn't upset you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates