Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:15 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
there is nothing wrong with shooting and killing someone robbing your home and trying to steal your goods.The world is overpopulated with humans anyway. The home owner should be commended for ridding society of such a worthless POS. I work very hard for my things and if someone thinks they can just take what Ive worked so hard for they're getting a bullet right through the forehead....it's simple really, don't rob peoples homes and you wont get shot doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:26 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
there is nothing wrong with shooting and killing someone robbing your home and trying to steal your goods.The world is overpopulated with humans anyway. The home owner should be commended for ridding society of such a worthless POS. I work very hard for my things and if someone thinks they can just take what Ive worked so hard for they're getting a bullet right through the forehead....it's simple really, don't rob peoples homes and you wont get shot doing it.
Agreed! The problem is that sometimes homeowners sometimes get in trouble for defending their own property.

The laws have to change everywhere so that a homeowner will never get punished for defending their themselves against intruders in their own home. No more coddling criminals!

If you think homeowners should be prosecuted for protecting themselves against burglars, you're part of the problem!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 05-09-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM

286 posts, read 150,161 times
I hate guns but in a situation like this, when someone is inside your home, no I don't think the homeowner should be prosecuted nor should the homeowner have to wait until the criminal physically overtakes them.

People aren't supposed to break into homes, it's a crime, and no one should have to wait to see what they're capable of once their inside your home, seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:45 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The rights of the criminal to take the property and / or liberty of the occupant shall not be infringed, said no law ever.
. . .
Tolerance of predators is unmerciful to their next victim.
Fifth Amendment

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:17 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Just being buglarized yesterday and having our home broken into (with the same thing happening 2 years ago as well in Black Forest CO), I would not hesitate to shoot a criminal if they were in my home. I was gone for 4 hours and they came and went during that period. But I have thought about this extensively since then.

The reason being though is that any idiot who thinks it's ok to go cause thousands of dollars of damage to a house just to get at max $200 for themselves is an idiot that doesn't deserve to live. And I wouldn't shoot for the legs either. I would make sure they were dead before they left my house because I would hate to deal with all the law issues if they were still alive.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Agreed! The problem is that sometimes homeowners sometimes get in trouble for defending their own property.
You're being very un-Dude.

I don't think homeowners get in trouble for "defending their own property."

It is more likely that a homeowner will get into trouble for either chasing an intruder and shooting him or her in the back after the threat has ended, or setting a trap and then executing someone who posed no threat.

I am a gun owner and will not hesitate to kill someone who enters my home without permission. With that said, I do believe that some gun owners get a little carried away and shoot at people who never were or are no longer a threat. The guy who shot the lady through the door who was asking for help comes to mind...

Homeowner Who Shot And Killed A Girl On His Porch Found Guilty Of Murder | ThinkProgress

Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
With that said, I do believe that some gun owners get a little carried away and shoot at people who never were or are no longer a threat. The guy who shot the lady through the door who was asking for help comes to mind...

Homeowner Who Shot And Killed A Girl On His Porch Found Guilty Of Murder | ThinkProgress
Well, that depends. If someone is knocking on my door & I don't want to answer, I'll ignore it - it's happened before. Hopefully they'll eventually go away.

Now, if someone is trying to break my door down that's a different story! There have been cases where a criminal/crazy person is trying to break down the door of someone's house, and that homeowner is forced to defend themselves.

It's a fine line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates