Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 01:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Understood, but when you're up to your a** in alligators .. It's hard to remember that your intention was to drain the swamp.
My dad is a lawyer and he taught two very important things. Aim for center mass and never answer ANY questions ( as Innocuous as they may seem) without your lawyer present.

very true, after you get doing a self defense shooting, you should never talk to anyone about the shooting except your lawyer.

when you call the cops to report the self defense shooting, the next call you should be doing is calling your attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
I see the OP has not posted in the last 24hrs., so if she is still following this, please be aware of two things.

If you let the intruder get away~

One: They now know you're an easy target and know where you live, and

Two: You can identify them, making you susceptible to elimination next time around, if you survive the first.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:02 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You really have no idea what you're talking about...
That can be said of just about the entire anti gun population.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I would shoot.

I dont care if they're directly attacking me or just robbing me. I have no idea what they are capable of and the fact that they feel as if they can just break into my home in broad daylight and steal my stuff?... No, you're gonna get shot.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:43 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
actually, it doesn't matter if its day time or night time..

And, as much as I agree its a bad trade off to kill someone who might be in your house to steal a tv to sell for money for food/drugs/booze/rent/whatever, being able to protect one's domain from unauthorized entry is one of the basic tenets we all must respect in an organized society.

Sure, I'd feel bad if I killed a teenage who broke into my house to steal a tv for any reason, but, when you break in to my house, you surrender all rights and respect that I might otherwise have for you, and in the heat of the moment, I am not going to ask you if your intentions are petty theft, of if you want to kill me.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is why the Castle Doctrine law should be in every state. If you shoot an intruder in your home you do not need to justify your actions to LE. Typically in states without this law you have the duty to flee and can only use deadly force if that is not possible.

These knock down the door tactics need to stop, they are trying to preserve evidence however it's dangerous for both the homeowner and the police. The other issue is just because someone is yelling police doesn't mean they are the police. There is no reason for any cop to be entering my home and if anyone does enter yelling police the first thing going through my mind is they aren't the police. In Indiana the law is if the police enter your home illegally e.g. wrong address and you shoot them you're not liable. That is another law we need nationwide.
To obtain a no knock warrant today requires a number of levels of scrutiny beyond that of a regular search warrant.. because of the inherent danger... most warrants are knock and demand entry...
Beyond the legal requirements their are policy requirements
For us
Can the person listed on the warrant be arrested in a manner that is tactically safer
Does the home contain instrumentalities of the crime
Will they be destroyed if entry is not made
Will public safety be compromised
Will unacceptable safety risks...very subjective ..occur for Leo

I have never participated in a no knock warrant at an incorrect address... maybe because of our strict preplan policy... by the numbers with a check off required...

Crooks normally know the drill... we rarely come when they expect it

Citizens should absolutely be able to defend their homes... and in the rare cases when they mistakenly shoot police on a mistaken entry the police did not properly do their job

I firmly support the castle doctrine and the right of citizens to be armed if they pass rudimentary requirements...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-01-2015 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 AM

638 posts, read 978,564 times
I follow the American police protocol, which is, Shoot first ask questions later.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 AM

450 posts, read 597,559 times
Do some of these op mean people should get away with crimes? Is it ok to steal for whatever reason and expect to be allowed to get away with it? If you break into my home for any reason you must realize that your butt is the grass and I am the lawn mower. Period!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
very true, after you get doing a self defense shooting, you should never talk to anyone about the shooting except your lawyer.

when you call the cops to report the self defense shooting, the next call you should be doing is calling your attorney.
I have received conflicting advice on this and I guess it depends on the order in which events happen.

We were advised by a Cop that, if there is an intruder in the house, get into a defensible position, call 911, advise them that you are in a bedroom/bathroom (i.e. defensible position), that you are armed and stay on the phone with the cops until they arrive.

During the CCW class we were advised to call a lawyer first - presumably after shooting an intruder and not having already called the police - and have the lawyer call the cops. The theory is that you have just shot someone a close quarters - and for most of us it is probably the first time - mentally you are probably all over the place and you are likely to say things that you should not. The instructor made the point that 911 have a script of questions some of which are leading and which could cause you to inadvertently incriminate yourself.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:36 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
The homeowner should NOT be prosecuted. The other person was there with intent to ROB. Like a previous poster said, had that been me, I'm NOT waiting until they attack. End of story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates