Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That reminds me of a story DH is fond of telling. DH was an All American swimmer (butterfly was his specialty). Some of his classmates got a kick out of getting him to wrestle a much smaller classmate, who quickly turned DH into a "pretzel" pinned to the mat.

I think it would be unsafe to assume you could overcome any intruder.
I was on wrestling for 8 years, to quote my old coach "with enough leverage you can move the world".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
no, in my state if you are trying to do me harm, i can shoot you in the front yard, you dont have to be in the house

Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
This was a cartoon in the OC Register. The best I've ever seen.

A middle aged man stands in his own living room, dressed in pajamas, raising high both hands.
Another guy is coming through the window, holding a big pry bar and a gun in his right.

Pajama man: "I don't have a gun. Studies show that a gun in the house could be used against me by an intruder."
Burglar: "It's all right. I brought my own."

Old 05-01-2015, 07:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
leading up to elections, criminals will target houses that have signs/advertisements for democrat candidates 5 to 1 over republican candidates....they know that there's a much better chance, the liberal democrat has no gun in the house, let alone someone that would use one,,

as compared to the republican house)has signs and advertises for a republican candidate),,,that most likely has a homeowner that has a gun and will defend his family and property

if you were going to burglarize a house....which would you choose??

for you liberals, think of this,,,,,you wake at night and hear someone in your house,, someone who wants to steal...not a murderer,,,( since you don't believe he should be shot, because hes there to steal)
you have 3 kids,,, 2 teenage daughters and a young boy,,,
you know a stranger is in the house,,,your mind is racing,,,,do you walk out and ask them if they are hungry?? you will gladly get them something to eat,,

or,,,are you scared and don't know what to do?? you are a single mom with no man in the house?
if you walk out,,,you risk getting hurt or they are already criminals,,,maybe they will have their way with you!!

at this point,,,you have never felt sooooo scared and helpless in your life..

at this moment,,,,anyone in their right mind would give their left arm for a gun..

Old 05-01-2015, 07:52 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
no, in my state if you are trying to do me harm, i can shoot you in the front yard, you dont have to be in the house
Same here.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
So...you would wait to see if the intruder wanted to harm you or not? You wouldn't assume that someone who would break into YOUR home had the intention of harming you or your family? Yes, some that tries to take what is mine will be in danger of losing their life. It will be their fault.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times
To the posters who say we shouldn't shoot someone who breaks into our home to steal, just go ahead and give your stuff away. That is basically what you are saying, that people can take whatever they want and we shouldn't protect our property.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 PM

545 posts, read 594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.

One less criminal shot and taking out permanently is one less problem for society

Old 05-02-2015, 04:44 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A co worker of mine said his neighbor shot and killed someone that came into his home while he was sleeping tried to rob him. The burglar came in during the day thought his neighbor was at work. The burglar wasn't armed the local DA isn't going to press charges. I don't think they would get a conviction anyway in my state of Arizona. If someone comes into a home to do wrong to me he knows the risk of getting killed. A few years ago 2 men entered a home tied up a retired doctor and his wife killed both of them burned their body's in a backyard. I think I would do the same and shoot the person in my home because if they get control over you end up like those old people. Have no idea what they are going to do I don't want to risk my family. Some of my co-workers have said the homeowner should have been prosecuted.

Your coworkers are idiots.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Same here.

In South Carolina, you can shoot them in the yard. Or even shoot them if you see them fleeing with your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates