Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,103 times

Advertisements

Trespassing is a crime. If he didn't want to be shot then he wouldn't trespass in the first place.

Last edited by carterlisa; 04-30-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
LOL at Liberals who say killing a burglar is immoral but think abortion is ok.....oh lord the hypocrisy...

Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Precisely why if that burglar is running away from your house with your property, he is no longer a threat to you or yours. That is why you cannot shoot him in the back when he is fleeing.
How do you know he is the only burglar?

How do you know if he is fleeing or just running away long enough to pull the gun out he has stashed under his shirt and/or find something to take cover behind, before he starts unloading on you?

Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Granted, but I think I'd fare much better in court than I would in the morgue.
I agree. I'm just pointing out the potential pitfalls.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:44 PM

756 posts, read 834,535 times
Exclamation Protect Your Self If You Need To:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A co worker of mine said his neighbor shot and killed someone that came into his home while he was sleeping tried to rob him. The burglar came in during the day thought his neighbor was at work. The burglar wasn't armed the local DA isn't going to press charges. I don't think they would get a conviction anyway in my state of Arizona. If someone comes into a home to do wrong to me he knows the risk of getting killed. A few years ago 2 men entered a home tied up a retired doctor and his wife killed both of them burned their body's in a backyard. I think I would do the same and shoot the person in my home because if they get control over you end up like those old people. Have no idea what they are going to do I don't want to risk my family. Some of my co-workers have said the homeowner should have been prosecuted.
This is actually a very sensitive topic. I think that the home owner had every right to kill the evil burglar. Barely. Just BARELY. I say this: I worked hard to have a property of my own. If some body wants my house, TOO BAD! Go get one yourself! This one is mine! Leave mine alone!

However, I do NOT want to fear monger to other people. They do this all the time all by them selves. It is stupid and I have fear mongering.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:48 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I agree. I'm just pointing out the potential pitfalls.

Understood, but when you're up to your a** in alligators .. It's hard to remember that your intention was to drain the swamp.
My dad is a lawyer and he taught two very important things. Aim for center mass and never answer ANY questions ( as Innocuous as they may seem) without your lawyer present.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
It is a homicide. The prosecutor has to decide if there's enough evidence for a jury to support the man's claim to self-defense (or whatever defense the man's lawyer is contemplating) and what the political and career (his) fall out will be if he does/doesn't prosecute and doesn't get a conviction if he does prosecute.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:44 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It is a homicide. The prosecutor has to decide if there's enough evidence for a jury to support the man's claim to self-defense (or whatever defense the man's lawyer is contemplating) and what the political and career (his) fall out will be if he does/doesn't prosecute and doesn't get a conviction if he does prosecute.
Strongly disagree with this. The homeowner shouldn't even need a lawyer. Situations like this - where the homeowner takes out an intruder - should always be a cut & dry case of self-defense. The homeowner typically doesn't even know the burglar/home invader, so they shouldn't be punished for something that is completely out of their control. It's not their fault if a P.O.S. breaks into their house!

As far as I'm concerned, all home invaders/burglars should be taken out. Maybe then we'd have less of these $%^%$##@# breaking into houses!

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-30-2015 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 07:32 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Not necessarily. In Arizona is is up to the State to prove that you were not justified. It is not up to you to prove that you were.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:33 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterlisa View Post
Trespassing is a crime. If he didn't want to be shot then he wouldn't trespass in the first place.
Yes, trespass is a crime. But, depending on the State, it is not a crime where a justification defense for the use of deadly force will prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates