Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 06:44 AM

593 posts, read 668,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
I'd probably hold my gun on them and immediately order them face down on the ground, arms spread. Then shoot them in the kneecaps and call the cops. If there's the slightest act of aggression, they get double tapped, center mass. BTW, having bright flashlights on home defense weapons is a must, to clearly see the trespassers (e.g. they could just be a dumb, drugged out kid who poses less of a risk) and to blind them.
OMG please don't do that! As crazy as this sounds, i wouldn't doubt if a (potentially win-able knowing Cali) lawsuit came out of the purposely blowing out ones kneecaps. If you can hold somebody at gun point till the police get there then fine, that is great. But for the love of God don't go all Hollywood on us and think blowing out kneecaps is a thing of the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Why do people who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about constantly feel the need to comment on this topic?
I'm more curious how you shoot someone in the kneecaps that's laying face down

I don't see the kneecaps comment any worse than the guy who's gonna drag the body out of his house after he shoots

Last edited by NHDave; 04-29-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:09 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I've been teaching CCW classes for several years, before and after I retired as a LEO. These are just some of the key elements I teach, in no particular order:

1. The best gunfight is the one you are not in.

2. Every projectile exiting the muzzle of your firearm has LAWSUIT written all over it. I've seen this happen over and over, affecting law enforcement, as well as civilians. Anyone can sue anybody for anything. You can bet your bottom dollar the the criminal (if he/she lives) or the surviving family will file a lawsuit against you.

3. Never, EVER tell anyone or give any statement to anyone that you were trying to kill someone. Your actions in using a firearm were that you were in fear for your life and attempting to neutralize a threat - PERIOD.

4. Use only factory manufactured ammunition in your firearm. Ambitious DA's love it when someone uses "hot" handloads in their firearm, making them believe you were in full-tilt "kill mode".

5. Never have a light attached to your firearm. Wherever the light goes, so does the muzzle of your firearm. You may end up "muzzle-sweeping" your wife, husband, S/O, children, etc. Have a bright flashlight available, next to your firearm. Firearm in your strong hand, flashlight in your weak hand.

6. Aim for center of mass. Fire two rounds and assess. Repeat as necessary. How long it takes to assess if the the threat is neutralized is an individual process. It may take one second, it may take one-tenth of a second. Depends.

According to the latest stats from the FBI, 95% of all shootings occur within 21 feet in low-light conditions. Only one of four rounds fired hit their intended target. An average shooting lasts 3-5 seconds and 3-4 rounds are fired.

Bear in mind, you will carry the weight of having shot and (possibly) killed someone for the rest of your life. Food for thought.
This ^^^^^^

I live in Arizona and recently took my CCW course. Your advice echoes what we were taught. But point No. 1 is key. If you can avoid using your weapon then do so. If you can get out the back door then do so. Leave the job of confronting the intruder to the Cops. That is their job,.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:13 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This ^^^^^^

I live in Arizona and recently took my CCW course. Your advice echoes what we were taught. But point No. 1 is key. If you can avoid using your weapon then do so. If you can get out the back door then do so. Leave the job of confronting the intruder to the Cops. That is their job,.
I don't agree with #5 but this isn't the place to discuss it. Someone can start a thread in guns and hunting if they'd like to debate it.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 AM

3,853 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I think they should be prosecuted. Unless the intruder was trying to physically harm the home owner and put them in danger, there is no need to shoot someone. People shoot too quickly these days and they always shoot to kill. No one should die for trying to steal a TV or jewelry or whatever. Go to jail, yes, but killed no.
No. The moment they break in, the home owner has the right to shoot.

Last edited by Tritone; 04-29-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 08:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
One of the things that came over loud and clear during the CCW course is that, if you do shoot and kill someone who has broken into your home, you are in a huge and unknown legal mess and the outcome of that mess is unknown. And that is true even in 'gun friendly' Arizona.

The problem is that even if you think you are within your legal rights, there is enough ambiguity in the wording of the law to give prosecutors an opening. In particular, the word 'reasonable' is used a lot. What is 'reasonable'? Your definition might be very different to that of the DA or that of a jury.

The advice we were given was, in the event of having to use a weapon in the home, to 'lawyer up'. Now that sounds quite reasonable. But, wait. It is 3am. You just shot an intruder. There is blood everywhere, your adrenalin is pumping, your wife/kids are hysterical, you called 911 and gave a bunch of info to them (which might be used against you later), the cops are about to arrive. Are you thinking straight? Where do you get a lawyer? Can a lawyer be there at 3am?

The theory of using a weapon for defense in the home sounds great and maybe one day you actually have to do that. I sincerely hope that it never happens to me. But the point I am making in relation to the OP is that the legal ramifications are considerable and unpredictable even in the most gun friendly states. Should a homeowner be prosecuted? It depends on the circumstances. Will a homeowner be prosecuted? It depends on the circumstances and a whole lot more.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 AM

488 posts, read 819,885 times
I wasn't really serious about shooting kneecaps. This wouldn't be wise and I definitely do not recommend that anyone try it on an intruder in your home. If you can hold them at gunpoint, fine. If you can't, there wouldn't be any time to aim for a specific part of the body anyway. If you have to shoot, aim at center mass. Hopefully that day never comes.

Regarding a weapon-mounted flashlight vs a separate handheld flashlight, there are differing opinions on this. Personally, I feel that having a weapon-mounted light is a good idea. You don't have to use it - you can also carry a separate flashlight, which could be held away from your body. But this would require aiming with one hand, which is much more difficult under stress. Having a weapon-mounted light at least gives you another option. You don't need to leave it on...just a momentary flash to assess the intruder and disorient him, then it's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
OMG please don't do that! As crazy as this sounds, i wouldn't doubt if a (potentially win-able knowing Cali) lawsuit came out of the purposely blowing out ones kneecaps. If you can hold somebody at gun point till the police get there then fine, that is great. But for the love of God don't go all Hollywood on us and think blowing out kneecaps is a thing of the real world.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,699,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
"et domus sua cuique est tutissimum refugium"

One needs to define what is meant by intruder. In every state that I can find, there still has to be some illegal intent or reasonable presumption of imminent harm on the part of the person who has "intruded" in one's home.
Umm, the "illegal intent" was breaking into my home in the first place. I'm not sure where you live that it's legal to enter someone's home without their permission. Remind me never to move there.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
This is a clear cut case of self defense. When so.done is in your home, uninvited, divining their intent before going defensive will get you killed. This is no time to try and sort out nicetys and "what ifs". Even if the intruder is "unarmed" (I game it that just means he doesn't have a gun, himself, to some?) and you have a gun, that advantage can be lost in split seconds, if you hesitate. A confrontation and challenge, should you elect to do so, should be done from cover, and/or with separation BH distance and barrier objects. Don't be giving an intruder a clear path to you, if you're going to challenge. Odds are, he will take any and all advantage you have, and kill you.

In such a situation you should assume you are facing the most dangerous animal on Earth. A man with NOTHING to lose.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
TRESPASS - (Law) To commit an unlawful injury to the person, property, or rights of another, with actual or implied force or violence, especially to enter onto another's land wrongfully.

If you enter upon another's land wrongfully, that is a trespass. A felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates