Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM

593 posts, read 667,908 times

Advertisements

Anytime there is a home invasion I will always side with the homeowner. I have zero compassion for anyone who breaks into another's house. Personally I will shoot anyone who breaks in my home at any time of the day. I'm not going to wait to see if there armed or try to talk them out, I am going shoot plain and simple. Here in florida we have castle doc and stand your ground. I have no duty to retreat, im not going to retreat and I don't think a home owner should ever have to retreat. When you break in someone's home you steal there sense of security which is more important than any jewelry or tv.

Furthermore, you are sadly mistaken if you for one second think I give a **** about someones life who has broken into my house. They have put me in danger, but more importantly my family. I have no idea what their intentions are but I am not going to wait to find out. Desperate people make desperate decisions and I'm not going to put myself or family in danger, I am going to eliminate the threat.

Last edited by 02blackgt; 04-28-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
A co worker of mine said his neighbor shot and killed someone that came into his home while he was sleeping tried to rob him. The burglar came in during the day thought his neighbor was at work. The burglar wasn't armed the local DA isn't going to press charges. I don't think they would get a conviction anyway in my state of Arizona. If someone comes into a home to do wrong to me he knows the risk of getting killed. A few years ago 2 men entered a home tied up a retired doctor and his wife killed both of them burned their body's in a backyard. I think I would do the same and shoot the person in my home because if they get control over you end up like those old people. Have no idea what they are going to do I don't want to risk my family. Some of my co-workers have said the homeowner should have been prosecuted.
Prosecuted??? The shooter deserves a medal, IMHO.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:05 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,350 times
If the homeowner felt he was in danger he had every right to protect himself. If that meant killing the burglar that's alright. If you are going to enter private property knowingly to commit crime then that is the risk you face. Don't feel sorry for the POS out there robbing and stealing.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
I have no sympathy for people who break the law and then get what they deserve. My home is my sanctuary and safe haven. If you threaten that I have a right to defend myself against you. I think a guy protecting his home and family against an intruder in his home has every right to shoot and not fear prosecution.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85 View Post
Using any degree of force you feel is necessary to protect yourself and your loved ones in your own home is a basic right. Even CA has a castle doctrine. Who else is going to protect you? Certainly not the police. That said, I wouldn't want to kill anyone who didn't pose an imminent threat.

I'd probably hold my gun on them and immediately order them face down on the ground, arms spread. Then shoot them in the kneecaps and call the cops. If there's the slightest act of aggression, they get double tapped, center mass. BTW, having bright flashlights on home defense weapons is a must, to clearly see the trespassers (e.g. they could just be a dumb, drugged out kid who poses less of a risk) and to blind them.
Why do people who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about constantly feel the need to comment on this topic?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,482 times
I've been teaching CCW classes for several years, before and after I retired as a LEO. These are just some of the key elements I teach, in no particular order:

1. The best gunfight is the one you are not in.

2. Every projectile exiting the muzzle of your firearm has LAWSUIT written all over it. I've seen this happen over and over, affecting law enforcement, as well as civilians. Anyone can sue anybody for anything. You can bet your bottom dollar the the criminal (if he/she lives) or the surviving family will file a lawsuit against you.

3. Never, EVER tell anyone or give any statement to anyone that you were trying to kill someone. Your actions in using a firearm were that you were in fear for your life and attempting to neutralize a threat - PERIOD.

4. Use only factory manufactured ammunition in your firearm. Ambitious DA's love it when someone uses "hot" handloads in their firearm, making them believe you were in full-tilt "kill mode".

5. Never have a light attached to your firearm. Wherever the light goes, so does the muzzle of your firearm. You may end up "muzzle-sweeping" your wife, husband, S/O, children, etc. Have a bright flashlight available, next to your firearm. Firearm in your strong hand, flashlight in your weak hand.

6. Aim for center of mass. Fire two rounds and assess. Repeat as necessary. How long it takes to assess if the the threat is neutralized is an individual process. It may take one second, it may take one-tenth of a second. Depends.

According to the latest stats from the FBI, 95% of all shootings occur within 21 feet in low-light conditions. Only one of four rounds fired hit their intended target. An average shooting lasts 3-5 seconds and 3-4 rounds are fired.

Bear in mind, you will carry the weight of having shot and (possibly) killed someone for the rest of your life. Food for thought.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
"et domus sua cuique est tutissimum refugium"

One needs to define what is meant by intruder. .
Anyone that is in your home illegally.

Quote:
Regular Session 2011-2012 House Bill 40 P.N. 1038

(2.1) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (2.2),
an actor is presumed to have a reasonable belief that deadly
force is immediately necessary to protect himself against
death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual
intercourse compelled by force or threat if both of the
following conditions exist:

(i) The person against whom the force is used is in
the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or has
unlawfully and forcefully entered and is present within,
a dwelling, residence or occupied vehicle; or the person
against whom the force is used is or is attempting to
unlawfully and forcefully remove another against that
other's will from the dwelling, residence or occupied
vehicle.

(ii) The actor knows or has reason to believe that
the unlawful and forceful entry or act is occurring or
has occurred.
In Texas it even goes way beyond this, you can lawfully use deadly force to protect your neighbors property if you have the belief that property will not be recovered.

I don't think there is any state where you do not have the right to defend yourself if you have the belief someone is going to cause you harm, how the states with Castle Doctrine differ is LE cannot second guess your actions. There is no "duty to retreat".

The only place this isn't going to apply is extreme examples such as that one where the guy setup the kid by baiting him with the purse in the garage.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-29-2015 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 AM

delete, double post

Old 04-29-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
But killing someone and shooting a gun are, he doesnt get a free pass because of the circumstances, he just wont be found guilty
You don't seem to understand, if you live in a state with the Castle Doctrine and you enter someone's home illegally with a few exceptions the homeowner can shoot you. Exceptions would be the guy who baited the teenager into his garage.

A)Is the person inside your home illegally?
B)Do you have the belief you are in danger?

If the answer to these questions is yes there will be no charges.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
I agree he shouldn't be prosecuted, because it better to give people the benefit of the doubt in those kind of situations. People should feel they have the right to defend themselves without being scared to be locked in prison for decades. Also, armed homeowners is a big deterent for home intruders.

However, I do think you should identify who it is, before you shoot. The person standing there doesn't have to be a criminal, it could be your child, it could be a drunk family friend. You can make a big mistake that you will regret your whole life.

After you ask who it is, then three things could happen
1. You figure it is someone you know
2. They wil run out, because the criminal didn't expect anyone to be home
3. They will head towards you, and you shoot them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates