Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's necessary. I never owned a slave. You never owned a slave. I never was a slave, and neither were you. I am no more responsible for what happened generations ago than you are. Most of the advantages and disadvantages today are related to economics, have and have not. Not the color of your skin.

Any guilt I ever felt was assuaged by EEOC and Affirmative Action. Over the years I have been denied a job and educational opportunities because of the color of my skin. I don't hate you for it. I understand why it was done. But I don't like it either because I was unable to get the opportunities I earned. That's life and it is never fair.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:54 PM

66 posts, read 69,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know what "white guilt" is all about,
I have had on two occasions, once with a finger waving in my face that I needed to accept responsibility for the system we live in because I'm white. one of the two asserted that I should be paying reparations. I'm Irish. Where the heck are MY reparations? lol , give me a break.

another occasion I had joined a meetup and every time I spoke a word I was shut down. literally. the someone would say, "okay let's not talk about this anymore". I was saying while I wasn't a fan of Milo I think we should be defending free speech. I said it would have made a better statement if no one showed up and if people had shown it would be appropriate for us to accept that. I was actually flicked off in the situation which had never happened to me before. I've spent nearly my whole life as a bleeding heart and having my family think I'm a looney toon for having so much empathy. NOW, I'm the bad guy because I'm all grown up and have a more well rounded perspective. and by the very push of constantly being TOLD I personally should feel guilty, I am afraid to say I no longer give a ****.

isn't that sad. an otherwise alley to so many causes that break my heart, I wouldn't go near those causes with a 10 foot pole now for no other reason than the left has grown SO intolerant for any variance, I can only think of that movie Clock work orange.

I'm really happy to know that many people have not experienced the outrage of the left. that means there is hope that maybe when I move on day I can live in peace and vote by policy. I'm not a tyrant but I'll be damned if I have to be forced to be in a good mood 24/7 just to satisfy some delusional state where it's against the law to hurt someones feelings.

I suppose I've reached my limit and it might be wise for me to not to talk about it anymore and just shut up. which is the advice of pretty much everyone other than the left. "best not say anything lest we upset someone and be labeled something bad and then no one will want to do business with us".

now isn't that the exact mentality that Pakistan has to justify killing their own children? seriously. I saw a documentary on HBO on honor killings and the one lawyer was saying that the victims don't press charges because they have to live in the community and survive.

That is what is happening here. You can't have a nuanced opinion or even a contrary one, otherwise no on will do business with you and you can't survive then. Is this not a little insane ?

of course, again, this is most likely area dependent. I live in a very liberal city.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 PM

66 posts, read 69,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Over the years I have been denied a job and educational opportunities because of the color of my skin. .
Thank you. I appreciate you chiming in. I too don't have a "fair" situation. I guess I'm a little exhausted. and blown away on several occasions at the extent of tension where I reside. I just think life is unfair and always has been and I'm just tired of all the blaming and waste of time rhetoric.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307
There is no need. Here, let me demonstrate:

I am White. I am not racist. Nor do I feel guilty.
There. I have done my fair share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My I join your circle?
Please do!

Look, Everyone! We have formed a new association of Non-guilty, White, Acceptorists!
OK. I invented a word there, but I'm sure people know what it means.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post

I think it's a faulty strategy to guilt people to get what you want. that is my position. I'm curious for why emotional manipulation might be the strategy of choice for any cause.
op seems to be equating things like colin kaepernick kneeling during the national antham as having white-guilt crammed down his throat.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:20 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Why must there be "white guilt" to resolve racism and inequality ?

Is it not possible to empower people without vilifying other people? Isn't that a little ironic ?

"hey, life's not fair, let us make it fair, by playing unfair".

Am I the only white person that is complete exhausted from having this rhetoric everywhere, where I have to now feel guilty for the plight of a group of people when I have my own adversities to overcome, but apparently who cares about my adversity. my "people" who I have nothing to do with started this country I now live in so now I have to take on their sins. What is this? some twisted warped version of Catholicism?

you are born with sin and now, if you are born white, you are born with sin and some.

what are we getting that is important from perpetuating white guilt ?

The left's guilt tripping of white people, particularly white men, is a big reason why Trump is in the white house right now.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Every Black person and person of color I know, doesn't want or need "white guilt." If fact, "white guilt" is something made up in the minds of white people.

What is needed is awareness, understanding, and taking responsibility for one's part in a racist system and the perpetuation of racism.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM

22 posts, read 13,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Until we can ignore problems, we will never solve them.
You're absolutely correct, problems that need to be address head on by the community in which are facing those problems....with a large percent of those problems self inflicted by the community themselves!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I have absolutely no white guilt. My ancestors never owned slaves, they were Irish immigrants fleeing persecution in Ireland and didn't exactly live the life of Reilly when they arrived here.

Until we can let the past rest in the past we will never move ahead.
So there are reasons to feel guilty, just by luck your family never owned slaves, so you're in the clear. So if someone in my past owned slaves....or turned down someone for a job just because they were black...or Irish...etc. THEN it would make sense for me to feel guilty - but only if it was MY family that did it.

Just checking to be sure I understand. Because it feels like you're willing to say guilt is reasonable ONLY because of the luck of the draw about your heritage. And it feels like if there WAS something in your family tree you just might say "I'm not responsible for the sins of my father."

Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Because emotional manipulation is more effective than logic to people who don't think critically (most of the population).

Every weekend in Chicago, blacks murder blacks. Every. Single. Weekend.

But somehow those murders aren't important to the media. It's appalling. They should be FRONT PAGE every weekend. But no one hears about them. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.