Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2020, 11:35 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I cannot understand why the public does not stand up to these DEA terrorist thugs!

I would think if someones parent, child, spouse, etc was suffering terribly and the DEA was the reason why they could not get relief, those people would DEFINITELY stand up and do something about that.

How sad and pathetic a society we have become if we prioritize profits of a foreign criminal organization OVER and ABOVE our own loved ones comfort and quality of life?!!

Another thing that probably should be investigated further, we have no idea how much 'cartel drug money' is going towards terrorist activity against the US...if that is happening, then the DEA is complicit in terrorism against their own country! (and since our tax dollars fund the DEA...well I dont need to spell it out what that means).

There are a couple of reasons: the media has so stigmatized opioids because of the deaths of a few worthless junkies that nobody will miss, for one. For another, the majority of Americans cannot identify with pain so severe it cripples a victim and puts them in bed day and night. For another, the actual victims of pain that's bad enough to warrant opioid use are so disabled they could never mount any damaging march on DC to protest. I give the gays all the credit for knowing how to stage a march on Washington that was so politically charged Congress acted the next day.

March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights

The Second National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights was a large political rally that took place in Washington, D.C. on October 11, 1987. Its success, size, scope, and historical importance have led to it being called, "The Great March". Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Opiods are not needed for sprained ankles. I am a frequent flyer with sprains. And I'm a FAN of hydrocodone when needed, but I do not for sprains.
you may not need them for sprains...but everyone is different...this is why we trust doctors to make these decisions on our treatment, its why we meet with them in person (in a private exam room).

If I wanted to consult 'law enforcement' about an injury I had and was interested in what treatment they recommended, I would go the police station to ask....I will trust my doctor to make those decisions though, Im not interested in what treatment 'law enforcement' believes to be the best.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:58 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it had to do more with the incredible pain he was experiencing. Or so he described to me. He's not the junkie type.
There are Priests and nuns who are addicts, actors, politicians, farmer, cooks, bakers, housewives, police officers, lawyers, judges, you name it.
It cuts across society as the great leveler that it is.
There is no junkie type. But here are people who self medicate and will try to use a doctor to do it legally.
They will shop around in search of a compliant doctor.
If a doctor says no.....that should be all the information a person needs.
People who think they know better are the same ones filling the rooms of narcotics anonymous meetings.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
There are Priests and nuns who are addicts, actors, politicians, farmer, cooks, bakers, housewives, police officers, lawyers, judges, you name it.
There is no junkie type. But here are people who self medicate and will try to use a doctor to do it legally.
People who think they know better are the same ones filling the rooms of narcotics anonymous meetings.

That's a woeful mischaracterization of the true problem.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 03-02-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
My real estate agent said he went to Kaiser ER for severe back spasms and they gave him a shot of morphine. Going out the door, he ask for a few Vicodin to hold him through until the spasms stopped and the doc refused to give him even one. He says he plans to "fire" Kaiser. Kaiser's new policy: NO OPIOIDS!
They should have given him muscle relaxers. And recommended a heating pad. (if it really was muscle spasms)

Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
The problem is, the doctors are 'saying NO' because of their concerns over being raided by the DEA or worried about loosing their license to practice medicine...NOT because they truly feel the person couldnt be helped with opioids.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
There are a couple of reasons: the media has so stigmatized opioids because of the deaths of a few worthless junkies that nobody will miss, for one. For another, the majority of Americans cannot identify with pain so severe it cripples a victim and puts them in bed day and night. For another, the actual victims of pain that's bad enough to warrant opioid use are so disabled they could never mount any damaging march on DC to protest. I give the gays all the credit for knowing how to stage a march on Washington that was so politically charged Congress acted the next day.

March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights

The Second National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights was a large political rally that took place in Washington, D.C. on October 11, 1987. Its success, size, scope, and historical importance have led to it being called, "The Great March". Wikipedia
People do not feel that their teenaged children who got hooked are 'worthless junkies' and they are sorely missed.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I think it had to do more with the incredible pain he was experiencing. Or so he described to me. He's not the junkie type.
Muscle relaxers would have helped the pain by directly targeting the reason for it.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Muscle relaxers would have helped the pain by directly targeting the reason for it.
Not necessarily. I was given muscle relaxers years ago for lower back pain and they didnt do squat!

Everyone is going to have different treatment needs, muscle relaxers may work for some people, however opioids work better for others, again, this is why we TRUST doctors to make these decisions!

If we cannot trust doctors to make 'responsible' decisions on prescription medicine...why in the world should we trust them for more important treatment decisions, such as surgeries?!

Old 03-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not necessarily. I was given muscle relaxers years ago for lower back pain and they didnt do squat!

Everyone is going to have different treatment needs, muscle relaxers may work for some people, however opioids work better for others, again, this is why we TRUST doctors to make these decisions!

If we cannot trust doctors to make 'responsible' decisions on prescription medicine...why in the world should we trust them for more important treatment decisions, such as surgeries?!
Sigh, we were talking specifically about muscle SPASMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates