Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 11:14 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times

Advertisements

OP: Did not read the link but think that parents should not be allowed to medically alter their children.

The age of majority is 18 (totally arbitrary and political, but that is the age).

If I had a child who was questioning their gender, I would put them in therapy, asap and tell the kid I will not assist with any altering of their God-given body.

I don't believe introducing toxins into the system for elective purposes is good or smart.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:53 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

If I had a child who was questioning their gender, I would put them in therapy, asap and tell the kid I will not assist with any altering of their God-given body.

I don't believe introducing toxins into the system for elective purposes is good or smart.
Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness that could be "cured" by meds and therapy.

Gender identity conflict is called gender dysphoria, a term that mean dissatisfaction. It involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender they identify. People with gender dysphoria feel distress over this conflict, often at an early age but sometimes not until puberty or later. That conflict can
bring extreme anxiety and frustration that can't be simply cured by a shrink.
I am a mental health professional and work in a behavioral hospital. We admit teens with gender dysphoria that are stressed, depressed and suicidal because there is so little understanding how they feel.
There is no need to made it worse by stigma, discrimination and bullying from others or denial from close family and friends.
Old stereotypes kick in when education and understanding is what's needed.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:15 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,817,554 times
It is absurd to proclaim that one feels 'like a woman' because no one can know what other people feel like in their mind.
I have a female body but I am solely aware of my singular identity... and no one else.
As such, feelings are neither provable or disprovable.

So how come only Trans Identified MALES make such a claim?
No female I know does.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
It is absurd to proclaim that one feels 'like a woman' because no one can know what other people feel like in their mind.
I have a female body but I am solely aware of my singular identity... and no one else.
As such, feelings are neither provable or disprovable.

So how come only Trans Identified MALES make such a claim?
No female I know does.

Read about Tomas Beatie

Old 12-03-2020, 03:53 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
There are several videos with Joe Rogan and Abigail Shrier on this, but I think the "long" one I watched (over an hour) was excellent, very informative. I think the comprehensive one I watched was broken up into shorter segments, this is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YjbzZ7AzE

Tim Pool recently had a podcast that criticized Joe Biden's stance that (reportedly) claims "An 8 year old should be allowed to undergo sex transitioning" (paraphrased). One of his guests (rightly) quipped "When I was 8 years old, I wanted to be a triceratops". Tim believed the "correct" answer to a minor child's sex dysphoria should be a "private" matter, between the child, the parents, and the child's doctor, I agree.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
There are several videos with Joe Rogan and Abigail Shrier on this, but I think the "long" one I watched (over an hour) was excellent, very informative. I think the comprehensive one I watched was broken up into shorter segments, this is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8YjbzZ7AzE

Tim Pool recently had a podcast that criticized Joe Biden's stance that (reportedly) claims "An 8 year old should be allowed to undergo sex transitioning" (paraphrased). One of his guests (rightly) quipped "When I was 8 years old, I wanted to be a triceratops". Tim believed the "correct" answer to a minor child's sex dysphoria should be a "private" matter, between the child, the parents, and the child's doctor, I agree.

I would agree with that too.

But I think a lot of people trivialize the dysphoria. Especially people who won't research the issue.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:21 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I have read numerous articles that have stated that the MAJORITY of people who have had sex-change surgery regret it. For that reason, I would never allow anyone under the age of 18 to have actual surgery.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have read numerous articles that have stated that the MAJORITY of people who have had sex-change surgery regret it. For that reason, I would never allow anyone under the age of 18 to have actual surgery.
I have read numerous articles that have stated that for those kids who received emotional and psychological support, they don't regret their decisions.

And again...surgery typically doesn't happen until the age of 18. BUT I would think long and hard about puberty suppression, if I felt my child was clearly behaving like someone of the opposite gender.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey claims that 11% of female respondents regret surgery enough to change back to their original sex. Transgender men had a reversion rate of 4%.
But considering that transgender surgery can range from $7,000 to well over $50,000, depending on the sex and extent, is that a surprise?
In this survey alone, roughly 4,000 people were unhappy with the fact that they changed their God-given sex.
That’s not insignificant. To understand the bigger picture, let’s explain the medical basis of the transgender mentality. The topic is very complex: Many who are transgender transition back to their biological gender. Those are numbers that aren’t even covered in this article.

The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey (USTS) is the largest survey examining the experiences of transgender people in the United States, with 27,715 respondents from all fifty states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. military bases overseas.
https://www.hli.org/resources/what-p...egret-surgery/

Old 12-03-2020, 06:52 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey claims that 11% of female respondents regret surgery enough to change back to their original sex. Transgender men had a reversion rate of 4%.
But considering that transgender surgery can range from $7,000 to well over $50,000, depending on the sex and extent, is that a surprise?
In this survey alone, roughly 4,000 people were unhappy with the fact that they changed their God-given sex.
That’s not insignificant. To understand the bigger picture, let’s explain the medical basis of the transgender mentality. The topic is very complex: Many who are transgender transition back to their biological gender. Those are numbers that aren’t even covered in this article.

The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey (USTS) is the largest survey examining the experiences of transgender people in the United States, with 27,715 respondents from all fifty states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. military bases overseas.
https://www.hli.org/resources/what-p...egret-surgery/
The way I see it, there are a "lot" of people who feel (often, very strongly), that their biological / anatomical sex does not align with their "emotional" sexual identity (i.e., best described today as "gender"?)

I'm not looking to minimalize the feelings of these people, I can only imagine it may be a really Hellish condition to endure. But, rather than assuming that the problem is "biological" in nature, wouldn't it be equally fair to assume there is a psychological problem at the root? Until maybe twenty or thirty years ago, psychiatrists believed that gender dysphoria was a mental disorder, correct? Was this former theory refuted on a scientific basis, or was it changed in the DSM manuals because the issue was "unsolvable" with available psychiatric methods?

Psychiatry is, I assume, still in its infancy in regard to other medical specialties. Bottom line, are we doing hormone suppression and sex-reassignment surgeries simply because we don't fully understand brain chemistry? (and one day, perhaps prescribing drugs that make up for some hormone that wasn't delivered at some stage during gestation). To me, that's what is pointed to by the relatively high "regret rate" evidenced by elnina. My own guess is, we are going to find out some day that when sex is assigned during fertilization (although it isn't fully defined until later in gestation), the brain is supplied with some chemical that makes it "line up" with the chromosomes. For those with gender dysphoria, that chemical wasn't supplied, and therefore, the conflict arises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates