Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:21 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,873,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
The problem you've outlined in your last graph, is not confined to the issue of this discussion. It applies across a wide section of current culture, and is driven by "what sells".
This is very true. I do agree that it's not only the Caitlyn Jenners of the world who "sell" their image of lives filled with glamour and excitement, with their access to a level of celebrity and cosmetic surgery that's socially and financially unattainable for most people.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:08 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I have read numerous articles that have stated that the MAJORITY of people who have had sex-change surgery regret it. For that reason, I would never allow anyone under the age of 18 to have actual surgery.
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...s-say-n1102686

"The results of a 50-year survey published in 2010 of a cohort of 767 transgender people in Sweden found that about 2 percent of participants expressed regret after undergoing gender-affirming surgery."

More from this link below.

People under age 18 are not offered surgery. Before puberty it really boils down to being able to wear clothing and hair styles of the preferred gender, play with preferred toys, and being afforded the courtesy of the use of preferred pronouns. Puberty blockers afford time to solidify the preference for transition or reconsider it. The effects of the blockers are reversible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey claims that 11% of female respondents regret surgery enough to change back to their original sex. Transgender men had a reversion rate of 4%.
But considering that transgender surgery can range from $7,000 to well over $50,000, depending on the sex and extent, is that a surprise?
In this survey alone, roughly 4,000 people were unhappy with the fact that they changed their God-given sex.
That’s not insignificant. To understand the bigger picture, let’s explain the medical basis of the transgender mentality. The topic is very complex: Many who are transgender transition back to their biological gender. Those are numbers that aren’t even covered in this article.

The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey (USTS) is the largest survey examining the experiences of transgender people in the United States, with 27,715 respondents from all fifty states, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. military bases overseas.
https://www.hli.org/resources/what-p...egret-surgery/
The source of your link is a Catholic organization that opposes transgenderism on a religious basis.

Here is the 2015 report:

https://transequality.org/sites/defa...port-Dec17.pdf

From the NBC link above, about the 2015 report:

"In a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 people conducted by the U.S.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, only 8 percent of respondents reported detransitioning, and 62 percent of those people said they only detransitioned temporarily. The most common reason for detransitioning, according to the survey, was pressure from a parent, while only 0.4 percent of respondents said they detransitioned after realizing transitioning wasn’t right for them."

Old 12-05-2020, 04:09 AM

61,684 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

The source of your link is a Catholic organization that opposes transgenderism on a religious basis.

Here is the 2015 report:

https://transequality.org/sites/defa...port-Dec17.pdf

From the NBC link above, about the 2015 report:

"In a 2015 survey of nearly 28,000 people conducted by the U.S.-based National Center for Transgender Equality, only 8 percent of respondents reported detransitioning, and 62 percent of those people said they only detransitioned temporarily. The most common reason for detransitioning, according to the survey, was pressure from a parent, while only 0.4 percent of respondents said they detransitioned after realizing transitioning wasn’t right for them."
If you would actually click on the link I provided, you would see that it refers to 2015 US Transgender Survey it its first sentence. The survey is a PDF file, I couldn't attach to my post.
The survey was conducted by National Center For Transgender Equality is definitely not a
"Catholic organization that opposes transgenderism on a religious basis".
By definition:
Mission
The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.

That being said, different sources post different results.
According to:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6212091/

"It is true that regret after gender-affirming surgery is an exceedingly rare event. Reasons for regret or detransition are diverse, ranging from change in gender identity to societal and relationship pressures to post-surgical pain. It is not uncommon for detransition to be associated with surgical complications."

But:
https://www.news-medical.net/amp/new...-activist.aspx
( https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/medical-news-today/)
reports that:

"Hundreds of trans people regret changing their gender, says trans activist."

And this source simply says that:
"none of the studies provides conclusive evidence that gender reassignment is beneficial for patients. It found that most research was poorly designed, which skewed the results in favor of physically changing sex.
The bottom line is that although it’s clear that some people do well with gender reassignment surgery, the available research does little to reassure about how many patients do badly and, if so, how badly.”

and
"that some patients regret their transition or retransitoned, they felt that they were too young. That they were misdiagnosed as being trans rather than being autistic."

https://www.genderhq.org/trans-youth...-mental-health

Last edited by elnina; 12-05-2020 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-05-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
If you would actually click on the link I provided, you would see that it refers to 2015 US Transgender Survey it its first sentence. The survey is a PDF file, I couldn't attach to my post.
The survey was conducted by National Center For Transgender Equality is definitely not a
"Catholic organization that opposes transgenderism on a religious basis".
By definition:
Mission
The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.
Your link is from hli, which put its own spin on the 2015 report. The way it reported the material in the report skewed the interpretation.

From hli:

"The 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey claims that 11% of female respondents regret surgery enough to change back to their original sex. Transgender men had a reversion rate of 4%."

From the 2015 report:

Same report. hli left out the part in bold.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:30 AM

^^^ Sorry, it took some time to research this topic and add more info. In the meantime you replied to post that was still I'm progress. My apology.

Last edited by elnina; 12-05-2020 at 06:00 AM..

Old 12-05-2020, 06:19 AM

Here is another story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1894076002/

I think we don't know how many people regret their transition but for whatever reasons (I assume, mostly financial and trouble reverting everything back) cannot proceed with detransitioning.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Here is another story:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/1894076002/

I think we don't know how many people regret their transition but for whatever reasons (I assume, mostly financial and trouble reverting everything back) cannot proceed with detransitioning.
Keep in mind that most who transition have not had surgery, so there is nothing to "revert back".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6626314/

Old 12-05-2020, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 8,505 times
I think we should be consistent with our views on our youth. We allow/encourage prepubescents to basically identify as whatever they want and will even supply them with the drugs needed yet, we consider 16, 17, and even 18 year olds as children who still haven't matured enough to make the right decisions in life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 12-05-2020, 09:26 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
I just find it all so bizarre... It seems like more and more people are coming out as transgender or gender neutral these days. There are so many confused people... I've listened to people's experiences about having the MTF surgery and it's very unpleasant... It's basically mutilated down there... I can't believe some surgeons actually do this..

Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 AM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
https://www.jccf.ca/you-gave-me-what...uined-my-life/

I'd like to discuss the psychological impacts of the group of people who think it's alright to allow people under 16 to take gender altering hormones and even get reassignment surgery and the pros and cons of such issues. Given the article I posted I can't really hide my position on this one, but I don't want to post anything too provocative in my first post so I'll leave it open for discussion.

My goal is to not make this political though it might be hard not too. This is a psychological issue in which we are allowing minors to do things which in my opinion they are not mature enough to handle. If mods feel this would be better in another subforum, feel free to move, or lock or delete or take whatever steps necessary to keep things civil. Thanks!

Moderator edit: This topic has been moved to Great Debates from the Psychology forum. As with all posts in Great Debates, participants are expected to abide by the forum-specific Rules and, above all, be respectful.
The patient should be a minimum of 30 years old before any of this proceeds. Who knows anything when they're 14? They should get a full psych workup. This shouldn't be something that you can just walk into the doctor's office and get the wheels turning. We live in insane times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates